'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
my horses have always found ME

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-03-24 4:50 PM
14 replies, 8779 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-01-07 1:51 AM (#149172)
Subject: my horses have always found ME

Extreme Veteran

I wrote my dilemma last May when my faithful trail Morab got injured on a ride down in TN. So many of you have so kindly offered not only words of encouragement, but also suggestions on where to look for another trail buddy.Well, I am still looking. I've turned up a lot of horses that wouldn't work for what I want. However, I do appreciate all the leads and am in hopes that one will be a match for me. Still looking for an Arab partbred even though for years I've only ridden purebreds. Seems the older I get, the calmer and shorter my horses have become.

Still holding out the faith that, as in the past, the right horse will find me. Somethings are "just meant to be".  I am keeping the faith. Thanks to all you horse buddies out there who know exactly where I'm coming from.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2013-01-07 11:23 AM (#149177 - in reply to #149172)
Subject: RE: my horses have always found ME

Veteran

Aceliberty--- Good luck on your search,I know it is very hard to find the perfect horse. Our saddle club is having a dinner this Saturday night,I will mention your search. Since we are also from central Illinois maybe one will be close??

Good Luck!!

illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2013-01-07 4:04 PM (#149182 - in reply to #149172)

Veteran

Aceliberty---I talked to a friend they have a horse for sale it is a mare that is 1/2 Arab and 1/2 quarter. She is around 14 hands and is 12 years old. Their 8 year old son has trail rode her. If you think you are interested in finding out more I can give you their contact info.

Kathy

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-01-08 9:53 PM (#149204 - in reply to #149182)

Extreme Veteran

Kathy, Worth looking into. Please PM me the information. That might be a tad bit small, but temperament is the main thing anyway. I did make an offer on a horse, and the owner accepted it. However, I am still waiting on a few more answers before I commit. I did have her shoot a couple of short video clips, and they looked nice. If the temperament is right, I might buy her. I also had a return call from the owner of a huge riding stable where there are two Arabs for sale. The drawback is that they are purebred and pricey. He quoted me up to $5000. That is beyond what I can afford, especially considering this economy. Let me know what you find out, and also do you happen to have any pictures of the little mare? You might also ask what price range they are considering.

Funny, we have been trying to organize and throw things away. I came across some material from SD and thought about you. How are your plans coming along? I meet Monday for coffee with some friends. We are discussing going to Pagosa Springs. We've already been twice, and it is beautiful. There and Wyoming are my favorites. Let me know when you want to go there. :-)   Cindi

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2013-01-14 8:24 AM (#149330 - in reply to #149172)

Elite Veteran

Where did you ride in Pagosa Springs?
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2013-01-18 2:15 PM (#149403 - in reply to #149172)

Extreme Veteran

My horses always find me too. About 10 yrs ago I was shopping for a kids' horse and ended up finding one for myself. Had to explain that to my husband. He's 1/2 Arab, and 1/2 Hackney Horse and believe it or not, he's the best trail horse I've ever had! The funny part is that he came with the name Match. Yup, he's my match!
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-01-19 11:55 PM (#149426 - in reply to #149172)

Extreme Veteran

Was just heading off to bed when I thought I'd check this site. And so glad I did. You gave me just the "lift" I needed tonight. I am about to stick my neck out and buy a half Arab mare (I've said it all too often that I don't "do" mares.), but this horse's name is "Time". Like your little horse "Match", maybe for me, it's Time.

Thank you so much, and I hope that I am as fortunate as you and your horse. Pictures always a delight. hint~lol

lc0338
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2013-01-20 8:57 AM (#149430 - in reply to #149172)

Here is a morab on craigslist. I had a morab for a short time and really got "hooked" on his personality and endurance. He jumped a cattle guard and got hit by a car and broke his leg and I had to put him down. The one in the add is out of my price range but they may not be firm on that price either as I never contacted them. The morab I owned had the smoothest trot I had ever ridden. Don't know if all of them are that smooth but definitely like that part arab horse.http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/grd/3485589720.html
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-01-21 10:15 PM (#149460 - in reply to #149430)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for the tip. I did look up the ad, and it looks like a nice horse. It is pricey, but then a good horse is priceless. If it were closer to me, I'd sure take a look at it. Right now, that just isn't possible. I am very sorry to hear about your horse accident and that you had to put him down. I am wrestling with that decision also, as the frigid temps have really been tough on my Morab's injured leg. I know he will never be trail worthy, but I am still giving him time to heal as much as possible. He didn't come with a smooth trot nor canter, but after many, many hours of riding, he got so smooth. Or maybe I learned to be a better rider! He has been a tremendous horse. We also did numerous mounted searches, and he was a great team leader~always calm in the midst of sirens, helicopters, etc. on searches.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-03-23 4:07 AM (#150742 - in reply to #149172)

Extreme Veteran

Well, it FINALLY happened. I was at the mall when I saw a horse ad a friend emailed me. Horse sounded good. Called the seller. Told her up front that I am not a show person but rather a trailrider. I was told that there were three people coming the next three days to see the horse. All show people. The seller wanted me to come "right now" to see the horse. After all the time and miles I'd spent looking for a new horse, this one was only 30 miles from home. ~~~That was Thursday. Today (Friday) he came home. I always let a new horse get acclimated to a new environment, but.........   We went for a walk down the country road. Met the Amish neighbors and their 3 thundering Percheron yearlings along with the family buggy coming up the road. Chief did about 3 steps to the side, but no bolt nor snort n blow. He is a keeper, and I know as good as he is, he will only get better. He turns 4 late summer. I woke up awhile ago thinking it's all a dream. Yes, a dream come true. Just had to share my news.

Vet lined up for spring shots and coggins. Farrier coming to trim and put shoes all around.  

lc0338
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2013-03-23 8:38 AM (#150744 - in reply to #150742)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! He is a good looker. Is he a morab?
illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2013-03-23 1:14 PM (#150755 - in reply to #149172)

Veteran

Happy for you that you found the one. I sure you can't wait to ride,now if only this Illinois weather would get under control. Good Luck and Happy trails!!!

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-03-24 4:07 AM (#150772 - in reply to #149172)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for the well wishes, friends. It has been so depressing since last May when Quiz got hurt. I've looked at and ridden lots of horses between then and now, but out of nowhere, Mr. Right came into my world. I took him to a friend's huge round pen and trotted and cantered him, trying to get used to each other. My friend and set out separate ways to keep the boys from buddying up. Rode the trees along the river, jumped a couple of logs, and once again separated off for the ride home. That was a good test. When we got out of the treeline and up to the road, here came a buggy horse. Instead of Chief jumping like he did yesterday, he just stood. However, the buggy horse took a huge side step from us. All ended well.

This horse is a keeper! And if feels SO good. Considering trying him for mounted search and rescue training if I can prepare him in time for the huge class. I know eventually he will be a great search horse. He is only 3 right now, but his temperament is calm and forgiving.

illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2013-03-24 10:24 AM (#150792 - in reply to #149172)

Veteran

Chief looks like a beautiful horse.  I find your comment on search and rescue interesting being from Illinois I was wondering how this works?  Thanks for any info.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-03-24 4:50 PM (#150812 - in reply to #150792)

Extreme Veteran

The mounted unit of our Douglas County Search & Rescue Team was formed in 2005. Most searches do not require the horses, but over the years our horses have been called out for quite a few searches. Just last summer we were involved in a huge search where an elder Alzheimers patient went missing. It had a great outcome, as he was found disoriented and lying in a corn field. Remember the heat? He would not have lasted much longer. Here is the link to a video clip from a search we did several years ago. That is my Morab and myself leading the horses at the opening. We are seen throughout the clip. The reporter then laid down in the field so we could explain how we conduct "point of separation".  http://videos.pantagraph.com/p/video?id=1893336

If you are interested in forming a mounted team in your area, there is a super training being held in April and well worth the time to attend. I can gladly send you more information on it. If I feel this new horse is ready, I am strongly thinking about taking him to the training.

My first non Arabian in over 40 years. He is an APHA and know very little about the breed. All I know is that I really like this horse. I've been so excited that I've had a difficult time sleeping. I guess I'm afraid it's a dream.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)