'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Leg wound

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-11 9:27 AM
2 replies, 4119 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-07-10 7:01 PM (#145507)
Subject: Leg wound

Veteran

I had a senior moment and made this a poll instead of a post. :-( So am now "posting" it.

My 8 year old MFT cut his lower cannon about two weeks ago. The wound seems to have healed but now the skin is further apart than the original injury. Internet sources say getting skin to grow over a wound on a horse's lower leg can be a challenge.

What should be my next step? I don't want him to get proud flesh. I'd thought maybe treat with iodine ointment to keep the skin soft and underlying tissues germ free then keep wrapped?

I'd appreciate any advice or success stories from other horse people. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-07-11 5:07 AM (#145519 - in reply to #145507)
Subject: RE: Leg wound

Extreme Veteran

I use Underwood's. don't need to wrap.  Stuff works great.  Google Underwoods horse Medicine.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-07-11 9:27 AM (#145520 - in reply to #145507)
Subject: RE: Leg wound

Extreme Veteran

When my gelding's leg got bashed in TN back in May, friends who own a lot of expensive AQHA race horses brought me a bottle of Underwoods and a jug of baking powder. Since the cuts were superficial, I really didn't use it except for a couple of days till he got admitted to the vet hospital.

These friends have had a lot of experience using the product. Some of the stories they told about its use were difficult to believe. I also read the testimonials on the webpage, and some cases were similar to what my friends has witnessed firsthand.

The baking powder keeps the flies away, which is always a tough problem on an open wound this time of year.

http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)