'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trails West Trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-07-29 10:27 AM
11 replies, 18909 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NCcowgirl
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-06-26 9:38 PM (#145133)
Subject: Trails West Trailers?

Can anyone tell me pros and cons of the Trails West Trailers? Those who own ones, would you buy another? if you sold it...why? any other info would be helpful... Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-06-26 10:43 PM (#145142 - in reply to #145133)
Subject: RE: Trails West Trailers?

Extreme Veteran

Bought our first in 2010. A used 2007 bumper pull. Have been happy with the construction. Liked it enough when I was shopping a few months ago for a used LQ, I drifted towards Trails west again, and bought a used 2001.

I prefer mid tacks on a LQ, and they offer this option more common than others.

I have had good luck (and happy with) my contacts with the factory when I had questions
NCcowgirl
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-06-27 9:28 AM (#145151 - in reply to #145133)

Thank you for the info.    Are you satisfied with hinges, doors, and other hardware?   Is the hardward metal or alumiumun?
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-06-27 4:32 PM (#145165 - in reply to #145133)

Extreme Veteran

Both of my trailers are steel. So the horse compartment doors are steel pinned type. (geez, I hope thats what I am remembering) The hinges on the tackroom, manger storage are also steel, and I have not had issues. One loosened up on the tack, but we just tightened it back down. Latches and all have been find.

The finish work on everything seems to be well done. Because I bought used, I expected a few things to maybe need some tending to, but over all, I have not been doing my DIY on things that were failing due to quality of product.

Go find some on a lot, and slam dividers, open and close doors, jump up and down in them. It is amazing how much you can tell about a companies quality and construction by doing this.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-06-28 7:51 AM (#145188 - in reply to #145133)

Extreme Veteran

WE have a 2001 Trails West Sierra Classic. It is a 4 horse with LQ. Mid Tack, and we love it. The only thing I might change is the dividers in the horse compatment are full to the top, and just like the "stud stall" ones in our 2 horse. They seem too confining, but the horses can't nip or pester each other either. No Quality problems unigue to the trailers either. Since it is Steel, it shows some rust streaks after a few years on the bottom of the ledges and around the joints. These are easy to just wax away, and what have you.
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-06-28 12:11 PM (#145195 - in reply to #145133)

Regular

We're on our second Trails West. We purchased the first one new in 2003 and actually went to the dealership to buy an aluminum trailer. The dealer, who sold 4-5 brands, had me pull different trailers so I could see the difference between them. The Trails West was the only steel trailer I tried and I was very surprised that it actually pulled easier than the other aluminum models on the interstate. It pulled a little harder on the gravel parking lot at low speeds, but that didn't bother me. I liked all the extra features like the cylinders that help hold the dividers in place even when you're parked on a slope, and we especially the side tack. When we decided to upgrade to a living quarters about three years ago, we looked for another TW on this site and are very satisfied with the trailer we purchased. I've also had a couple incidents where I called the factory and they were very helpful. On my first trailer, my dog chewed off the rubber catch for holding the back doors open. I explained to the customer service rep why I needed to order a replacement and to my surprise they shipped out a new one within a few days at no cost to me ... not even shipping. They also helped me with technical information when I wanted to purchase an electric jack for the used trailer I purchased. I've really been very impressed with their customer service people. When the time comes, I might look at some other brands but I have a hunch we'll end up with another Trails West.
jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-07-08 8:00 AM (#145431 - in reply to #145133)

Regular

we have had 3 of them, an 02 2h gn, an 04 3h gn and an 05 3h gooseneck, all sierras. the 02 and 04 were great trailers. The 05 has been a good except for all the doors leak no matter what we do. Weather stripping has all been replaced twice with no change. The 05 has over 100k miles on it. We are going to replace it by next spring and will not buy another trailswest. The quality of the 05 is nothing like the earlier trailers.
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-07-08 8:44 AM (#145432 - in reply to #145133)

Regular

jakefreeze - Have you contacted the factory directly about your leaking doors? I've had such good response from them whenever I've called that I think they'd try to help you out. I contacted the customer service number from their website. My Trails Wests have been an '03 and an '02, so I don't have knowledge of later model quality issues. We drive a lot of very dusty roads and I've been impressed that none of our doors allow dust inside the living quarters, so the engineering must have changed a lot since the earlier models. I'm hoping yours is not the norm with newer TW and you can get the leaking stopped. I wish you luck in getting the problem resolved.
jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-07-08 12:35 PM (#145435 - in reply to #145133)

Regular

Yes I did since the dealer just wanted to tighten the doors up. TW sent me the weather stripping for cost the first time, which worked for about six more months then i tightened the doors again and it lasted about another six months. I replaced the weather stripping with a non trails west part and it lasted longer than the first two but im back to a severely leaking trailer, I have to tarp my saddles in the side tack, and can not have anything in the mangers that can't get wet, it sucks. I have noticed all the higher quality trailers have dual seals on the mangers and most of the tack and lq doors. we never had the leaks on the 05, our 06 must have been a hangover monday trailer.
HighlandBlueBarn
Reg. Jul 2018
Posted 2018-07-22 10:42 AM (#171734 - in reply to #145133)

New User

I have a gooseneck and I love the mid tack, the feeders, and storage under the feeders, I have a bunk that is good for my needs and four/five horse hauling capacity. I am so glad that I checked the nose of my trailer. I found that they just rivit those and the trim was coming off. I looked further and it had separated from the frame. I had another owner of a Trails West tell me that their nose piece came off while they were traveling. Now I am in the process of having it fixed. I have no idea what it will cost me but I am sure it will be a hefty amount.
HighlandBlueBarn
Reg. Jul 2018
Posted 2018-07-22 11:10 AM (#171735 - in reply to #145133)

New User

You could see daylight if you look at the edge at the front of the nose. I suggest everyone take a good look at these on a regular basis.
rfrank
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2018-07-29 10:27 AM (#171744 - in reply to #145133)

I've had two Trails West trailers. The 1999 I had for ten years and everything worked when I sold it. I resently have a 2012 four horse, walkthru midtack, slide, about a ten foot living quarter. I love it. Pulls great, rock solid at 80 mph down IH10. The only thing that has gone out is the frig., but that is not a Trails West issue. Everything else on the trailer is great. This one is a Sierra.

Before someone comments about the pulling speed consider this. I've pull that trailer at that speed for 8 hours at least 40 times.  Never a problem. Please spare me your expert opinions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)