'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
My horse always has to be first in line!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-06 10:13 AM
8 replies, 6769 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Nurse Pepsi
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-24 8:12 PM (#145082)
Subject: My horse always has to be first in line!!

New User

Have an 11 y/o TWH with a nice disposition, great gait. He trail rides great when with one or two other horses, but when with a larger group (which is most of our riding), he has always "pushed" to get to the front of the line. It's a constant fight to hold him back, but we put up with it. The last couple of times we rode with a group, I stayed back from the rest of them to try & break him of this habit. He became so agitated, he ended up bolting with me until he caught up and passed them. He raised his head & ran thru the bit, so he now rides with a tie-down. We really like him, but I need to feel safe and not always fighting him. Can anyone give any suggestions on how and what we can do to correct this? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-06-25 12:11 AM (#145084 - in reply to #145082)
Subject: RE: My horse always has to be first in line!!

Veteran

Hi,

I've got a big TWH that is the exact same way. It is unpleasant way to experience what should be restful, relaxing ride.

Chester sometimes will calm down if I circle him. I ride in a snaffle bit, no shanks, so I can pull his head around when needed and ride at the back so I don't disturb others on the ride. Its hard to pull the head around with a shanked bit if that's what you are using.

Look up the one-rein stop and see if you can work with your horse so that can be used to stop him when he tries to bolt. Don't try to use it without the training first.

Good luck.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-06-25 8:02 AM (#145086 - in reply to #145082)

Expert

I had a young grade gaited mare who was the same way.She wouldn't even tolerate the trail boss being ahead of her.On group rides,it felt like I had been holding a dozer back when the trips were over.Consequently because of her speed,and,the way she'd been ridden like this,she was rough in gait.I was fairly new back into horses after a long hiatus and I really didn't know how to deal with  her,so,I finally sold her to a gal who rode solo most of the time.I know it's a lot of time and work,but,you can eventually break a horse of this habit,I just didn't have the time and know-how.Shame,too,she was pretty,but,had she been smooth,it probably wouldn't have mattered although aggravating,for sure.

Bolting is dangerous behavior,regardless.Good luck with your horse.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-06-25 8:42 AM (#145087 - in reply to #145082)

Expert

I had a Arab/Saddlebred gelding that always wanted to be in front, At endurance or CTR rides, If he could see another horse farther down the trail he wanted to catch that horse.

I just had to take the time and work that horse till understood that I controlled the speed and position in the group. I did this by just keeping him so busy with small commands that he didn't have time to try and crowd forward.  Everytime he would get excited and want to move forward, I would start asking him to sidepass, turn circles, give his nose to my knee, stop and back up, drop his head, leave the trail and ride parrallel to it thru the brush and blown down trees. When he would calm, then we could I would ride with a loose rein. It took a while for him to learn it was easier to relax and ride in the position I placed him than to do all the extra work.  An added bonus is he became much more push button and controllable with all the practice we got.

I guess my advice is to Just not sit on the horse and go for a trail ride. Be asking him for small gives and trys when ever you are ridding. This ongoing communication with your horse will reinforce his understanding of who is the boss.

tamianderson59
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2012-06-25 6:35 PM (#145094 - in reply to #145082)

I too have a TWH mare that suffered from the same problem. She always wanted to be in front even in large groups on new trails. I think I probably caused the problem at least in part by riding with the same people all of the time while they were training younger horses so my mare went ahead to build their confidence on the trail.

That being said, I realized that I had a trail monster on my hands. We began playing "leapfrog" forcing her to allow others to pass her and ride in front for a period of time. It was difficult to hold her back but I agree with an earlier post....keep her feet busy. Make your horse circle, serpentine down trail...keep the focus on your cues, not the position in line.

Clinton Anderson addressed this exact issue as well. He allows the horse to take the lead but once in front the horse is made to circle the previous lead horse, in both directions, constantly working and changing direction. Of course the people you are riding with have to be in agreement with this and their horses have to be under great control as well. But I think the main thing is do NOT let the horse take the lead and then just rest and relax in that position. Make "taking the lead" involve lots of work and direction changes. After some time with that, see if you can fall back a few horses and ride without putting too much pressure on your horse. In other words, being further back should be a more comfortable place. Not going to be an overnight fix, but it will work. Lots of reinforcement needed.
ifiou
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-02 1:58 AM (#145264 - in reply to #145082)

Is it a good idea to open a massive taming-horse ground? How much should I prepare?

Diablo 3 Gold

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-07-02 1:57 PM (#145296 - in reply to #145264)

Veteran

I live in Nebraska. Most people ride QH or paints. Not a lot of gaited horses. Part of the problem is my TWH's normal walk is so much faster than these other horses. I know, I know, he should walk the appropriate speed for the group but still......

My first horse was a QH who had to have the slowest walk ever. Riding with others meant constantly pushing her to keep up or having to break into a trot to rejoin the group. Conversing with riding partners was impossible because I was always way behind. I owned that horse for 30 years!

When I set out to buy a horse for my old age I wanted a smooth ride and one that would walk on. So now I'm way ahead of my fellow riders. Guess I just can't win. :-)
partimecowboy
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2012-07-04 7:49 PM (#145360 - in reply to #145082)

You have some good advise from previous posts and I agree the problem can be cured, but it will take time and patience on your part. Be consistent and ride with somebody that will help you or understand what you are trying to do. Riding with one other rider is an easier training atmosphere. "Leapfrogging" always seem to help my horse, with this behavior, the most. I think it originates from a strong herd instinct, and not wanting to be left behind. Someone said earlier give your horse something else to think about, move his feet, flex his head, step off the trail, cross logs, get his mind off going to the front. Remember, consistency. Taking the quote from Ken McNabb, "May God bless the trails you ride".

Nurse Pepsi
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-07-06 10:13 AM (#145395 - in reply to #145082)

New User

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. Looks like it's going to be a slow process, but hoping for a good outcome! Hope to see you on the trails!Nurse Pepsi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)