'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse trailride tantrum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-23 11:17 PM
19 replies, 8592 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-03 7:09 PM (#144482)
Subject: Horse trailride tantrum

Veteran

OK folks - looking for input.  Have years of riding experience, performance, trail, foxhunting, you name it.  Have a nice 16 hand spotted mountain gelding, just 5.  Weathered a tornado today with him and want to see what else I can do if it happens again..  here goes...

This horse is buddy sour so each ride at the end I have been splitting off from the group for the last mile or so.  Stretching it out each ride.  Usually I split in another direction but sometimes I turn and make him back track.  He is very vocal and upset about this, but we stay the course and I have thought he was getting better.  I ride with a very comfortable (for him and me) Bob Marshall Sport Saddle and use an english pelham 3" shank mullen mouth (comfortable again) with a german martingale for some extra leverage (he can get high headed and evade in certain situations - this stops that cold). 

TODAY we backtracked about a mile from the end of the ride (had been out a nice 3.5 hours)  and he threw a pretty good fit on the turn around.  I half halted, stopped and turned, disengaged his hind, practiced side passing, you name it.  At one point he got out of hand when circling in the trail, braced and bolted.  It felt like a temper tantrum to me.  I basically ran  him into a post and rail fence real quick,  to get him stopped.  Then we stood quietly til he got it together and proceeded on without too much additional trouble.  This horse gets a lot of kind attention at our barn, and its my bet he just decided perhaps this was a democratic arrangement between us. 

He is not schooled in one rein stop (neither am I), but he is schooled to leg yield, side pass, and generally respect rein pressure. He does come around into a circle as a rule, immediately when qued. The mullen is such a very mild bit, and this is a spanking big strong gelding. 

Not sure I have the right big.

I am including a link to photos...here...I am the one in the first photo - and I am on the ground.  Since I am the one normally taking the photos, I don't think there are any of me riding this horse, except maybe at the waterfalls.  http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac86/eleanorvallone/CC%20Spotted%20Mountain%20Horse%20Gelding/

Any input is welcome.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2012-06-03 7:55 PM (#144488 - in reply to #144482)
Subject: RE: Horse trailride tantrum

Extreme Veteran

I helped my horse with separation issues by riding him by himself. He has ridden so much by himself that he never knows if he is with other horses or not even if we leave out with one or a group. He learned to depend on me and not the "herd" or "buddy". Now we can ride with a group or one horse and the others can leave us completely or we can leave them completely and he does as he is asked. Sure saved wear and tear on my nerves! hehehe I know you were asking about bits but I am not sure another bit is the answer.  I don't even ride my horse in a bit. I use a lil S curve hack or a halter.

Edited by lesliemal 2012-06-03 7:57 PM
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-03 8:03 PM (#144489 - in reply to #144488)

Veteran

Thanks for the input.  Can you tell me how long you rode on your own before he settled?  you see, I have a horse boarding business and most of my riding is done with my boarders- as I trailer them all sorts of places to keep them going.  I so rarely have a ride/day to myself!  So, perhaps I can fit it in somehow - how long did it take?  Thanks.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-06-03 9:50 PM (#144493 - in reply to #144482)

Extreme Veteran

Good idea to ride him be himself, also good idea to stable/pasture him by himself(no other horses insight). Get him to depend 100% on you and not other horses.

Sometimes this takes months, other times a year or more. The key is consistence. Never let him act buddy sour.. If he won't ride with others without acting out, don't ride him with others until he will.

Then after all of that, it must be practices regularly, like every time you ride with other horses.

A very buddy or barn sour horse can be very dangerous, not only to his rider, but to others around him.

If your going to keep him, fix it, or get rid of him. Not worth getting hurt.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-03 10:03 PM (#144495 - in reply to #144493)

Veteran

Oh, its a good bet I'll fix him. No, I don't plan to get hurt I'll TRY to be smarter than that.

You confirmed what I was just thinking.  I keep him in a 21 horse herd.  Its time he came out of the herd and lived by himself, in and out of the herd.  That should get him over it in part without even riding him thru it. 

It really was a tantrum.  He comes away from his herd on his own when I call him to the barn - about 800 feet away.  So, he's not THAT attached to his herd.  Just under saddle as I said he thinks perhaps its a democracy.  Will cure that one way or the other.  One thing I am thinking is to ride out with folks, let them ride away, and bring a book.  Neck tie him to a tree and read the book.  When he calms - get on and ride...  And do the same at the barn - keep him separate in a stall (which he will hate) and when he's good and calm let him back out.

Ideas welcome - all of them!  Thanks.

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2012-06-04 7:41 AM (#144499 - in reply to #144482)

Extreme Veteran

I can see where it would be difficult for you to get out by yourself. I hauled him off to trail heads by himself. I still ride by myself quite a bit but I would guess that his seperation issues started to improve at about 6 months of going by ourselves. I can only ride on the weekends. I did not just completely ride alone during those six months, ocassionally I would ride with other folks and have them leave us or we would leave them. He had issues with bucking when other horses would lope off in front of him so we worked on that as well. I keep my horse at home with only 1 other horse so I have that advantage as well. However, you have experience on your side as I did not have that to help me. I was a wussy in a group until we got this issue resolved. I was forever getting off when he would act up cause I was afraid. (yeah I know that is wrong but I like all my bones just as they are) Now I have more confidence in him and my riding ability from our time spent on the trail alone. It was definitely worth the effort. He is NOT perfect but he will ride alone and off from a group/other horse. Good luck to you!
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-06-04 4:38 PM (#144520 - in reply to #144482)

Extreme Veteran

Tying him to a tree the first couple of times, might be more than you bargained for.

If you have not taught him a true, honest to goodness freeze whoa, it is time. Do it both from the ground and from the saddle, then when he has his trantrum at the tree, you can practice the whoa, and speed the whole process up considerably.. Likewise, from the saddle, a true freeze whoa, is very useful.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-04 6:46 PM (#144524 - in reply to #144499)

Veteran

I appreciate your input.  Patience and persistence pays.  if he gets 1% better every ride, in 100 rides he's 100%.  Well, for me, that's about 33 weeks -  not shabby!  Happy trails to you.  E

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-04 6:53 PM (#144525 - in reply to #144520)

Veteran

Oh, I am not at all worried about tying him or any other horse to a tree.  I have stormed it thru with lots of ex-racehorses in my life, and found that to be a huge tie breaker (neckrope, appropriate tree) ~;-) No sense trying to reason with an "over the top" horse.  They settle down, and I'm back up and riding in no time. 

I would like to know how to teach a true freeze stop!  Any reference websites would be greatly appreciated.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-06-04 10:03 PM (#144534 - in reply to #144525)

Extreme Veteran

The freeze whoa.

Teaching the freeze whoa can be very time consuming. With some horses it can take a year or more to master.

It helps a great deal if they already know the word whoa from the ground. They should stand by themself for several minutes while completely unattended.

I have used "he" for this example, it could just as well be a "her".

This is a whoa that regardless of what excitement level he is in, he will whoa and stand motionless until asked to move. It sounds easy but it is not easy. You start by asking him to whoa while he is calm and once he stops you drop the reins and place your hand half way up on his neck and ask for a slight down ward position of the neck and head. You practice this until he will stand completely still for 30 plus minutes. Believe me for one of these horses that is a long time. And by the way, while you are teaching this whoa you only ride by yourself, or preferable with one other.

Once you master the freeze whoa while calm, you get him just a bit excited, usually be gaiting a little faster for a short distance and then come back to the whoa. Repeat this until he will stand motionless for 30 plus minutes.

Very important, while you are teaching this. Never let him think he is being challenged by another horse, even the horse following you must not pass him or advance quickly .

After you think he is ready, then start gaiting faster for longer periods before asking for the whoa. Continue this until he has this down pat. Then ask your follower to pass you carefully, just as soon as the follower is beside you stop with the whoa. Repeat until he responds well. Then ask the follower to pass and you stay beside the follower a short distance then whoa.

Once you and he master the freeze whoa, then you can do anything and get him back immediately. And no matter what if he gets excited, stop and do the whoa. Even if all the others are leaving you or what ever. You never make an exception. One exception can undo months of work.

Is is not rocket science, just lots of time and patience and never allowing for exceptions. It's the exceptions that prevents most folks from being successful. You can use any cue. I use the neck cue only because it asks for a lower of the head, and with a lot of horses this is calming by itself. The other aid I find very useful is the side to side lateral flexing of the neck. If you can get them to flex side to side with the muzzle touching their side easily, then they are easier to calm down.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2012-06-04 10:06 PM
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-05 6:32 AM (#144543 - in reply to #144534)

Veteran

Thank you, Bob.  I believe this would work very well.  I can't dedicate that much time to any one horse/problem, unfortunately.  Just isn't in the cards.  But, I think I will look up training for the one rein stop.  Not sure if that works in a really torqued up situation, but its worth trying and takes less time to train.

Thanks again for your input.

r205
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-06-05 5:21 PM (#144567 - in reply to #144482)

New User

Your horses coformation indicates he can really move out fast. This presents a problem if he is not balanced mentally and physically. Problems of conformation and temperment are not solved overnite. There are usually no quick fixes. Let's face the real problem. A horse such as this will carry a rider on his back but is not trained and balanced. To solve a problem like this several things need to be in place. First the rider needs to ride a balanced seat so that all of the aids can be used effectively. Next the horse has to be on the aids. This means on the seat, forward to the bit, in front of the legs and calm. A one rein stop is good in an emergency. Also a horse can also be taken in to a circle to control him but instead trying for a stop, push him into the bit and develop the seat control. This is best done with proper exercises in the arena during basic training. An unbalanced horse sometimes can not help himself. Especially if he is unsure and excited. Once a horse is on the aids the rider has control of his feet and can go in any direction and speed. Most riders do not want to take the time to learn how to do this must less take the necessary time each individual horse needs to be developed. I am not being critical, I have been in these situations and had to learn sometimes the hard way. Regards
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-06-05 5:55 PM (#144569 - in reply to #144482)

Elite Veteran

I had a Rocky gelding that also became buddy sour. I used a long-shanked "walking horse" bit until the day he reared to the tip of his toes. After that i switched to a copper mouth full cheek snaffle with a lot of twist. I also put an "arabian training martingale" on him (Y-fork with rings to run reins through.. BUT it had a top strap running over the neck from ring to ring to keep the rein-rings at the proper level.) This worked to help keep him from throwing his head and evading the bit... I also kept my hands very low. I trailer ride and camp at a state park 4 + hours from home, so I began taking him by himself ( he was a very experienced camper) and we worked on controlling his feet, both at home and while on the trail.. He improved after he began to rely on me. My Rocky mare was always very nervous "in the pack" on the trail and I thought her unsuitable for trail riding/camping until I began taking her alone and after she learned to rely on me, then her true worth began to shine. At 17, she is still my best, steadiest, toughest, go-anywhere trail horse. We went on an (organized) trailride in west Texas last spring and she took an eyebrow trail on the side of a cliff without batting an eye..
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-06 9:22 AM (#144593 - in reply to #144567)

Veteran

I truly appreciate your input.  The videos were all done when he was perhaps just 4 and almost untrained; and I am not the rider just popped someone up to get a "starting from here" video when I first had him under saddle.  I should have let that be known.  In fact, though he looks as if he could be fast, he is not very fast at all.  Just sort of gets the job done, but not forward unless left behind (hence my post).   Wouldn't mind a fast one, if somebody has one for sale ...    I love to ride fast, but rsponsibly, and not until the horse is entirely well trained and can easily handle it.  So, this guy has been kept to a moderate pace.

I do ride this gelding with a german martingale as he does have a tendancy under stress to float his head up. 

All in all, with much thanks to those who posted, it seems i better take time to ride him out alone.  He's going on a weekend camping trip with me tomorrow, for that reason.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-06-06 10:09 AM (#144596 - in reply to #144482)

Elite Veteran

Good luck, and HAVE FUN! Be sure some one knows where you are and what trail you're taking.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-06 4:56 PM (#144617 - in reply to #144596)

Veteran

SUCH a good point = well taken.  Its probably good for me, too.  I get tired of being the tour guide/bus driver now and then.  Solitude is good for all of us.
Fireweedak
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2012-06-21 4:39 PM (#145034 - in reply to #144482)

First of all: how awesome of you to trailer your boarders out to ride!

A few ideas came to mind: the 1 rein stop and also a horse divorce.

Horse divorce is best practiced in an arena. Basically gallop your horse next to his "buddie" for several minutes. Separate then let them rest. After a few minutes walk the arena and as soon as your horse looks at or faces the other horse, go right back to galloping next to each other. I've seen this work in less than 20 minutes.

A trail version is to let your horse pass everyone, then turn him towards the back of the line and trot to the back, then let him trot to the front, then trot to the end of the line. Clinton Anderson had a version of this in the arena where the buddy sour horse cantered circles around the other horses that were walking or trotting around the arena.

Good luck and happy trails!

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-21 4:48 PM (#145035 - in reply to #145034)

Veteran

Wow what great input!  My boarders think its pretty good that I take them along, too.  Its why my place is bulging with horses.

So far, he is getting better at riding alone.  He never has been spooky; just calling out less now.  We also are practicing leaving him in the stall alone.  He is settling down with that. 

He doesn't stand a chance because I simply won't give up.  9  If he gets 1% better a week, he'll be 50% better a year.

I like the horse divorce.  Would like to try that one with another horse.  This horse is only anxious on trail not in the arena or around the farm.

Thanks so much for sharing. 

Eleanor

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-06-23 7:11 PM (#145063 - in reply to #144482)

Elite Veteran

make him work and do  the "disengage" of the hindquarters and the shoulders when around the other horses. Do NOT let him rest when he is around the other horses. Let him rest when he is away from them. He will figure out pretty quick that he doesn't want to work so much. If you are unsure of the "disengage" technique, look up on youtube to see how it is done. ( all horses should be trained to do this anyways)it is how you get their attention and focus on you.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2012-06-23 11:17 PM (#145065 - in reply to #145063)

Veteran

Will brush up on it on youtube, but think i have been doing it for years.  many thanks.  if he is a problem, i'll take him back to the group and work the crap out of him.  and, keep him working.  then head him away and let him take it easy.  another good idea!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)