'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another Manure/Pasture Care Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-05 5:26 AM
8 replies, 5889 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

docgj
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2012-03-01 6:10 PM (#141590)
Subject: Another Manure/Pasture Care Question

Regular

Been thinking of picking up a small manure spreader so I can spread horse manure on my pasture each time I clean the stalls. Better half thinks it's a bad idea as it won't breakdown quick enough and eventually our pasture (10 Acres) will be covered with manure and be unusable. I do understand her reasoning, but I think 3 or 4 wheelbarrow loads of manure spread in different areas a couple of times a week will breakdown before it does any damage. What say all of you?

docgj 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-01 11:01 PM (#141604 - in reply to #141590)
Subject: RE: Another Manure/Pasture Care Question

Expert

We use a Kubota RTV with a hydraulic dump bed to haul manure to the fields. This happens about twice a week, with less than 1K# on each load. Every couple of weeks I take the tractor out and drag the piles with the back blade, spreading the manure into a few inch thick covering.

Within a week or so, the grass will grow through the manure and usually after the first rain, the manure will almost disappear. The area in which it was spread will grow grass much more thick and tall than the areas not treated. Once a year we take a soil sample to our 4H facility for testing. We are then told how many pounds of lime per acre are necessary, to provide the best ratio for the fertilizer.

In another posting, I was just told this may no longer be possible to do. I'll have to further research this issue .

docgj
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2012-03-02 3:49 AM (#141607 - in reply to #141590)

Regular

Thanks gard! I see you are also from pa. I'm in north central pa. I also saw the comment on the other thread. With all the natural gas drilling happening in my area...I find it difficult to beleive that we will see any enforcement. I did do some checking on the other post. If I remember correctly we only have to have a plan on how we are spreading it(Nothing to file with the state). The regulations are on the number of horses/animals you have. I have six horses and only have to have a plan. Let me know how your research goes.

docgj

docgj
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2012-03-02 4:12 AM (#141608 - in reply to #141590)

Regular

I found this power point show for all us Pa. people.

1. pacd.org/webfresh/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/EquineNM.ppt

It appears from this that most of us would consider an AO (animal operation) No approvals needed. Just need to be aware of distance to a stream and manure.

Please post any more information you might find.

docgj

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-03-02 8:46 AM (#141612 - in reply to #141590)

Expert

Sign of the time- governments regulating spreading manure. With all the BS they spread on a daily basis isn't this the potheads calling the kettle black?Its called statism.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-03-02 8:52 AM (#141613 - in reply to #141590)

Expert

I have a small pasture right behind that the house that I frequently bring the horses over leave them for short periods, like a week or two.  It has grass and I don't want 4 horses to turn it into mud,

I usually take my ridding lawn mower and mow the entire pasture ( it's only 1/2 acre) every two weeks.  The horses prefer to eat the young grass vs if I let the grass get taller and older. In the process of mowing, I pretty much break up and spread any manure.  Of course horses have their favorite potty spots and the manure may be too heavy in those spots for the mower to really spread.  And since the mower is set at it's highest setting, Some of the caked manure goes under the blades and doesn't get spread.  So I have a flexible tine harrow that I drag across the area after mowing to break up that manure and to spread out any wads of mowed grass.

If you can break up the road apples into the finer fibers they disappear very quickly.

In my other dry lot where the horses stay most of the time. I take my skid loader and just scope up the manure periodically and put it in a pile.  Every week I turn the pile with the skid loader.  With in 5-6 weeks it turns into wonderful compost that my neighbors love for their gardens.

slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-03-02 8:06 PM (#141623 - in reply to #141590)

Regular

Yes, you only need to have a plan and documentation of your manure distribution, how many tons, when was it spread, where it was spread, how many feet of ground cover between where it was spread and a water source-100 ft from a well, cattle kept out of a creek. Nothing filed with the state, from my understanding. However, before this year, with only a few horses, or a few other animals, you didn't even need to have a plan. I didn't mean to imply that it is specific to horse owners, just that we used to be given a pass, and now everyone with even 1 backyard farm-type animal is required to make a plan (and, I would suppose, they want you to comply with it).

As I said in the other post, the county extension office has experienced budget cuts, but is supposed to get all of this additional work done, besides. It is hard to imagine much enforcement by the DEP. Unless, of course, it is seen as a new source of revenue, going out and fining all of us for non-compliance!!

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-03-03 6:27 PM (#141640 - in reply to #141590)

Veteran

10 acres with 4 wheel barrels of pure poo no bedding a good high fling spreader- a week should be able to take it - try a test area on 5 acres - if it dosen't work sell the spreader - Do you use bedding in your stalls?  because wood fibers are to acidic to put directly on your ground, they have to be composted a long time and tested before spread.  either way soil testing is a must.  I myself would compost the pure manure in a pile and spread after it cooked at least a year. 
docgj
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2012-03-05 5:26 AM (#141678 - in reply to #141590)

Regular

Yes we do use wood chip bedding. Guess I didn't think about them breaking down. It's been suggested we put lime on each load as we spread it. Anyone have thoughts on this?

docgj

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)