'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Western treeless saddle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-23 7:40 PM
12 replies, 9938 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2012-02-05 7:43 AM (#140558)
Subject: Western treeless saddle

Veteran

I have decided that the only saddle that is going to fit my bull-dog shouldered mare is a treeless saddle. She is completely uncomfortable in any traditional (treed) I have tried on her. So I am looking for opinions from people who own and ride in treeless WESTERN saddles - I want one that looks like a western saddle, not some funky looking thing. Suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated. I know there are many who feel that treeless actually do more harm because they put pressure on the spine, and do not distribute weight well, but I understand that some of the newer designs address that concern.Thanks you!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-02-05 10:33 AM (#140561 - in reply to #140558)
Subject: RE: Western treeless saddle

Elite Veteran

Friend of mine has a Bob Marshall and it causes sores on spine area on her round short back QH mare, but works for her Paint gelding. Treeless does not mean proper saddle fit. There are other options to look at also. Have you tried contacting some custom saddle makers? I have had a good experience with Dixieland Saddlery.I ride in a flex panel saddle and this has fit my need for riding different breed and different style of conformations. RL Watson made nice saddles and Timberline is a good option too.
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2012-02-05 10:37 AM (#140562 - in reply to #140558)

Veteran

I know someone else who got a saddle from Dixieland and loves it for his hard-to-fit horse. I am in Maine and there are no custom saddle makers in the state. I would love to just bring her to a saddlemaker and have someone fit her correctly...
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2012-02-05 10:46 AM (#140563 - in reply to #140558)

Veteran

I'll check into those other makers you suggested to. Thanks!
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-02-06 9:27 AM (#140576 - in reply to #140563)

Extreme Veteran

I ride treeless saddles exclusively now and have been for about 7 years. If your horse has VERY wide shoulders, the Bob Marshall may pinch. The pommel on them is fixed and that was a problem for one of my horses and I have heard it's been a problem for others. With any treeless saddle it is extremely important to use the proper pad. The pad for a treeless saddle is just as important as the saddle itself. The pad is what will give the spine clearance. The preferred pads have velcro openings for inserts so that the pad can be shimmed and/or padding added or removed depending on the horse's changing shape. A few examples are the Equipedic, HAF and Skito. There are several Western models on the market now. I have ridden the Bob Marshall (loved it but didn't work on my horse), the Freeform (currently using on one horse but doesn't work well on the other) and the Sensation (works marvelous on my wide shouldered/dippy backed Morgan). That said, I recommend the treeless saddle group on Yahoo Groups. It's a very active group with many knowledgable folks that will be happy to help you in your search for a treeless saddle. Good luck on your treeless endeavor! Your butt and your horse will thank you...LOL
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2012-02-06 9:47 AM (#140577 - in reply to #140558)

Veteran

Thank you for that information. It appears I have a lot more research to do before making a decision. One of the reasons I am leaning toward a treeless is that I run a non-profit rescue and often have difficulties fitting saddles to the variety of horses coming through our barn door. I have a couple "average" saddles that fit "average" horses, but with so many different shaped horses, I hesitate to invest a couple thousand in a saddle that will only fit my horse.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-02-06 11:07 AM (#140578 - in reply to #140577)

Extreme Veteran

That's the reason I went treeless. I got tired of saddle shopping. For you, a couple of different models and pads with several types of shims would be the ticket, I think. Once you decide on a saddle, or two, Tom at Skito is very good at helping you to get a good fit. It's a lot easier to change out shims in a pad than to have 10 different treed saddles. For your purposes, you might be able to use the Bob Marshall and/or maybe an Easy Fit. Check out that Yahoo Group as you will be able to learn about all of the different saddles, what they tend to fit and how to fit them. Good luck!
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-02-17 4:22 PM (#141146 - in reply to #140558)

Extreme Veteran

I own a Bob Marshall treeless and paid an extra $100 to leave off the horn. I never had any trouble at all with soreness for any of the horses I used it on, and I do a lot of trail miles annually. However, I found that the saddle didn't allow much for a rider's movement and pretty much prohibited a proper seat position. It's almost impossible to post in my saddle. I will add that it IS the right size for me, as I had to submit a bunch of measurements at the time the order was submitted. But it's a saddle that one can ride all day and never get sore!

Several years ago I bought a Chris Cox signature saddle when I'd signed up for a clinic and couldn't get a refund but could put the down payment towards goods. As much as I'd have liked to attend a week long clinic, I absolutely love my CC saddle. There was a delay in getting it as Chris didn't initially approve of the tree. He personally inspects each saddle before it's sent to the buyer. The quality of the saddle is beyond description, and the rider is able to attain a proper seat.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-03-07 11:40 AM (#141762 - in reply to #140558)

Elite Veteran

I have one of the original Bob Marshall Circle Y Treeless saddles, bought it new in Sept '96 and love it.  I've ridden it on at least 30 horses and the only one it didn't fit was a very overweight TW. 

I got it to fit my very wide mutton withered QH and rode in it in the mountains, etc  even sweating, no white hairs, and no bad behaviors.  It is vital that you use a pad with the correct support - Skitos with inserts.  I have 3 and alternate the.  You can remove the inserts to wash the pads. 

Mine is western, no horn which is what I prefer. 

RidnClyde
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-07-13 8:19 AM (#145556 - in reply to #140558)

Regular

My boy is short coupled, high hipped and has narrow withers.  Absolutely no treed saddle would fit him and he got sour on them.  I spend months researching treeless and finally settled on a FreeForm.  I was able to test a few but ended up with the Western Barrel LW model.  It's a great saddle for him, no pinching and sweat lines are perfect (nothing along his spine).  I use an Equipedic pad with proper shimming.

They take a lot of getting used to because they do move.  It definitely makes you a better, more balance rider.  Some of the "gadgets" I work with my system are a breast colar (up hills) and a no slip, waffled type, carpet pad to help it "stick".  They're cheap from Lowes or Home Depot and replaceable as they wear.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-07-16 7:25 AM (#145611 - in reply to #140558)

We trail ride both our horses and mules in Circle Y Flex Tree Saddles.  And, have for many thousands of miles and many years. Doc rides the old timer and I ride the Shawnee. These saddles mold to the mules back and then right to the next horses back. We ALWAYS use high quality Impact gel, ESP, or PC SMX pads.

Love them!

ottomcnab
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2012-07-16 11:14 AM (#145615 - in reply to #140558)

Depending on how much you want to spend for your horses back and your behind, open your wallet for an Ortho-Flex. I did and don't regret it for one second!

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-07-23 7:40 PM (#145774 - in reply to #140558)

Elite Veteran

I too, have had back soreness issues with my standardbred mare. It is always where the cantle sits at the rear of the saddle where she seems to get sore. Everything seems to slip back on her as well. I always use a breast-collar but it will still happen...the slippage. I have tried sooo many different saddles. Finally I borrowed a bob marshall treeless saddle from a friend and rode in it for 4 days in a row. Mileage some days was 20 miles. NO soreness issues at all. And it did not slip back because it molded to the shape of her back. So, I went ahead and ordered the deluxe endurance model without a horn. 10 week wait though. Should be here August 16-18th. I cant wait! I did try to find a used one but they sell before I could call on them. I wanted one with a 4" cantle and the "show" pommel(3"?) which is just a little bigger than the regular pommel but not as high as the barrel saddle pommel and cantle. ( which I found to be too high) These were hard to find used so that is only reason I ordered new. I am breaking the bank though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)