'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Installed or portable generator?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-07-28 7:01 PM
4 replies, 8328 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

naturalhorselady
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-05 11:25 PM (#138088)
Subject: Installed or portable generator?

New User

I finally got my trailer sold, so now I am trailer shopping. I would like to hear your experiences/opinions of generators for trailers. Some of the trailers I am looking at have the nice Onan quiet generators installed. Some have no generator, so I'd have to use a portable. I haven't ever been a generator user because the only places I've taken my trailers have had hookups. I am planning on doing some camping in my new trailer at places that will have no hookups, so need to educate myself all about generators.

If you have had experience (good or bad) with using a portable generator with a horse trailer please let me know your experiences. The things I am wondering about:
how loud are they?
do you have to turn them off during the "quiet times" in the campgrounds?
What is the fuel usage like?  (are you having to get up in the middle of the night to add fuel if you are using the air cond?

Have you ever heard of a propane fueled generator?  (info on those would be appreicated)

do you have to take it out of the trailer to use it?
how hard are they to take in and out ? (I've heard they weigh up to 150 lbs and wheels really don't help with lifting in and out of trailers)
can you rent generators to use?
If so, can you rent the Onan quiet ones?

Thanks in advance for your help. You can email me privately at
naturalhorselady@yahoo.com if you would like to comment privately.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-10-05 11:39 PM (#138090 - in reply to #138088)
Subject: RE: Installed or portable generator?

Expert

Under the top left banner "Horse Trailer World" you'll find six blocks, one of which has "search" printed on it. Click on this and you'll find a drop down menue.

Choose "Trailer Talk", click on both "body" and "subject", insert "generator" into the "keyword", and change the 30 days to 360 days.

When you click on the "submit" button, you will be given a voluminous list of links to the many generator discussions we've had within this forum. They should answer your questions, many of which, you may not have yet thought of.

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-10-06 7:55 AM (#138095 - in reply to #138088)

Veteran

If you don't mind spending the money the Onan onboard is the nicest setup. Remote start inside, quiet operation, beats walking outside pulling ropes. I've had both gas and propane, I prefer the gas just for the convenience of fillup. Both burn about 1/2 gallon an hour. Can rent portable generators if you only plan on using occasionally. Make sure it has the right plugin on it.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-10-06 11:00 AM (#138100 - in reply to #138088)

Veteran

naturalhorselady, If I were you, I would try to get a trailer that already has an on board generator with an inside LQ start. Genrators are heavy. My first LQ did not have one and I put this as a "must have" on my second. I have the 3600 Onan. That is the propane version of the Onan gas 4000. I really like the convenience for those times that a person needs the 110v power, microwave, hair dryer and coffee grinder. In addition to the on board generator, I carry a Honda 2000, just in case. Some on board generators have their own battery, but most use the LQ batteries. If a person lets their batteries run down, them he/she will not be able to start the on board generator, nor use the electric jack. I would think that, in the absense of an on board generator, that I would do as some other ladies do, and get two Honda 2000's that are made to run together to get 4000. At 44 lbs each, the ladies can lift them. Also, if you have to do a bit of ranch work requiring 110 for equipment/tools, they come in handy to toss in the back of the pickup. Also they are great for power outages. Do like Gard says and read up. The generator threads are very good. On these threads, in addition to the overall point of view, you will find some single female input.
Angeou
Reg. Jul 2019
Posted 2019-07-28 7:01 PM (#172567 - in reply to #138088)

New User

Portable generator with trailer? You mean the portable generator with wheels? If it is just portable generator super silent type small power, then Generac, Honda and Champion will be good choice. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)