'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse stalls and sickness

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-09-16 10:41 AM
8 replies, 4901 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-09-08 5:18 PM (#137338)
Subject: horse stalls and sickness

Veteran

Just wondering if anyone has picked up sickness when going horsecamping. We did the last time and it spread to my other 2 horses in the field with them. What is a good way to prevent this from happening again, I heard of spraying the stalls with a bleach mixture but thought I'd ask it here, maybe someone can shed some info that would or could help every horse camper.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-09-08 6:34 PM (#137342 - in reply to #137338)
Subject: RE: horse stalls and sickness

Elite Veteran

Your diluted bleach idea is a great one. We haven't gotten anything yet, but, we usually re-scrape the pen or stall, then put down heavy shavings... I always worry about my horses getting some cooties if I see scruffy or mangy looking people and horses at camp. No, I am not a snob at all, but I love my animals and tend to be a little picky.
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-09-08 7:39 PM (#137344 - in reply to #137338)

Regular

with my microbiologist hat on....a spray with bleach will kill germs, etc but only if it touches them. so if the bugs are buried in dirt, mud, wood, the cracks in concrete, manure, etc it cant get to them. and bleach is very toxic, even diluted (which is how it can kill bacteria, etc), so you want to be sure to rinse everything three times before using it, or be sure to let it offgas/dry on surfaces for at least a day (if you can smell it, that's chlorine gas, toxic in its own right.)

yes, I know lots of people use bleach spray and even put bleach in their drinking water. the human race (and horses) have survived. I'm not a fan. 

hot water and old fashioned soap is a whiz bang disinfectant as it cuts through the organic layer that bacteria can shelter in AND kills them. in the lab, its our main and primary line of defense against contaminants.

when I go horse camping I bring my own electric paddock, and try to put it in a place where there havent been horses for a week. I bring my own (cleaned with soap and water) water buckets and a big garden trug I use for hay (to keep it off the ground). I use water that I bring from home, too. I wash my hands with hot water and soap CONSTANTLY and try to limit nose to nose contact with unknown horses, etc.

most disease carrying bacteria are pretty fragile. sunlight will kill most of them. unless they're able to hide in the dirt, or in the water, or in the algae/moss that coats everything out here :). 

good luck!

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-09-09 10:27 AM (#137352 - in reply to #137338)

Expert

could you use the stuff that vet hospital use to clean common area with??
flummoxed
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-09-09 5:51 PM (#137364 - in reply to #137338)

Yeehaw,

Being a fellow Kentuckian just a few miles south of ya', can I ask what kind of sickness did your horses get and where were you at where they got it? I am a stickler for annual vaccinations. Other than that I don't know if there's much else you can do. In any event I hope your horses are doing well.
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-09-09 7:35 PM (#137366 - in reply to #137338)

Veteran

My vet called it an upper respiratory infection??? it is very similar to what I would call shipping fever, snotty nose's and coughing, it is easy to transfer to others in the "herd". I did pick this up in the Big South Fork at a campground that requires you to stall instead of picket unless the barn is full. I think if I go back I'll pay the stall fee if they will let me picket it would be cheaper in the long run. I to vac. my horses but it didn't work this time!!!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-09-09 7:48 PM (#137367 - in reply to #137338)

Probably should consider booster shots for flu, rhino. The flu vaccines will not protect for a whole year. We try to avoid camps which require use of their stalls for exactly what happened to you. Hope your critters are better now.
lking
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-12 12:27 AM (#137434 - in reply to #137338)

I get pretty disappointed when my horse acts it up for some itch or some sore in his legs. I have a friend whose horse goes for barrel racing and even with such a big handicap he holds for not feeling well, he still gives it a go. I am not quite sure if that would be good for the general health of the horse but I would prefer that over an overacting job given by mine.
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2011-09-16 10:41 AM (#137583 - in reply to #137338)

Regular

No matter where we camp if the stalls are provided I have always put down lime, not sure if it helps but it sure will keep down the flies & our horses have never gotten sick. BTW we do a good cleaning of the stalls put down lime,  then dampen it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)