'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Barns with LQ's

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-08-25 10:10 PM
4 replies, 3755 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-08-24 12:36 PM (#136961)
Subject: Barns with LQ's

Extreme Veteran

Just curious about building a barn with LQ. Are you concerned about resale? Do you build minimal so you can build a house later or did you go all out so it would be your permenant residence? If you sold yours how did it sell. I am not talking about a full fledged stable but more of a personal property hobby farm
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2011-08-24 1:15 PM (#136966 - in reply to #136961)
Subject: RE: Barns with LQ's

Veteran

From what I understand, such arrangement has a very high insurance premium.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-08-25 7:16 AM (#136990 - in reply to #136961)

Elite Veteran

We built an 80'X120' horsebarn with a 40'X22' porch on the front. We used arch transom windows over it, and in the living quarter/guest apartment-  stained concrete floors, all slate-tile bath, small kitchen area w/sink,stove,fridge. Sitting area, sleeping area w/cedar queen bunkbeds, vaulted ceilings, heat and air.. and a little sitting porch w/ hitching rail around it.. then, my husband put a shop on the other side...

Our horse stalls open out to runs that go to the pasture. It is a nice barn..love it. I was not excited about the house (new) when we bought the place, but we have tweaked it. Our insurance premiums are not too high... about $2,600. per  year w/ replacement cost and $75,000. on house contents.

'

Are we there yet
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-08-25 6:32 PM (#137015 - in reply to #136961)

I've had no personal experience (our county would not approve a lq anywhere near barn;-[
But what I've read on other message boards.. building/fire codes have to be met, fire walls installed,sprinkler system, etc. It seemed those who had the least amount of problems were people who built a separate lq next to the barn, with a car port between the two. Make sure you contact your house insurance co, zoning, building permits,fire marshall in your county before anything. One more thought, even if your county codes permit such a structure, your state building laws/codes may not. Good luck!
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-08-25 10:10 PM (#137023 - in reply to #137015)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Are we there yet on 2011-08-25 6:32 PM

I've had no personal experience (our county would not approve a lq anywhere near barn;-[ But what I've read on other message boards.. building/fire codes have to be met, fire walls installed,sprinkler system, etc. It seemed those who had the least amount of problems were people who built a separate lq next to the barn, with a car port between the two. Make sure you contact your house insurance co, zoning, building permits,fire marshall in your county before anything. One more thought, even if your county codes permit such a structure, your state building laws/codes may not. Good luck!

I checked county codes before even considering this. In our state we do not have any building codes that supercede county.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)