'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
orange spots???????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-31 9:58 PM
6 replies, 5040 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

harvest
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-20 12:47 PM (#135880)
Subject: orange spots???????

New User

hi there

i am wondering if anyone can help me??????? iv gone down to bring my horse in today and he has got a lot of orange spots on his face mouth and nose i tryed to wipe them off as it looked like pollen at first but then realized there is no flowers in his paddock....i have been told that he has been itching his face a lot today on the fence??? iv been on the internet for the past 2 hours and have come up with nothing so far please help.?? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-07-20 12:51 PM (#135881 - in reply to #135880)
Subject: RE: orange spots???????

Elite Veteran

Does he have white on his face where the spots are appearing? Some paints and other white skined horses have photosynthesis reaction to a plant and the sun brings on the rash.

If he is itchy, be best to call the vet and see if you can get some Dexamethesone or other drug to allieve the itching. It comes in powder form or injection.

harvest
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-20 1:01 PM (#135883 - in reply to #135880)

New User

i there

he has a white blaze on his face but they are not on there.??? 2 other geldings have them 2 one on his face and the other one on his feet????? the 3 mares havent got any.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-07-20 8:05 PM (#135893 - in reply to #135883)

Elite Veteran

Boy that is a mystery! Let us now if you find out what it is. Never heard of this before. But I learn something new everyday.
harvest
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-21 7:01 AM (#135903 - in reply to #135880)

New User

Thanks for your help I will let you know I'm now going down loping into chickens as they have started going in his paddock that's the only thing that's different but I will defo let you know when I find out if I ever do. 10
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-07-21 10:18 AM (#135909 - in reply to #135880)

Regular

some plants contain oxalic acid that can cause staining on horses lips and tongues (dandelions and buttercups are the big culprits out here, tho they make more black than orange)

are the spots the color of rust? is he rubbing his face on something? is there a tree with sap? is the spot just on the hair or does it go down to the skin? is there any sort of mark or abrasion on the skin? is it itchy?

otherwise, look and see if there's any neighborhood kids feeding him cheetoes. seriously. 'bout freaked me out the first time I saw that one....

good luck!

Rish
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-31 9:58 PM (#136287 - in reply to #135880)

New User

Might be bots, nose flies! I was just researching it myself,and sounds just like what I was reading. It can be on their legs,inside knees,mouth,nose. Its miserable and itchy,they will rub their face on legs and as they do that or lick it then gets transferred to the mouth,can irritate the mouth n then passed thru the digestive system(long process). Have you noticed him being irritable,weird acting? It makes em crazy and act out of sorts,can be dangerous to be around. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)