'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bit

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-20 11:10 PM
5 replies, 4250 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-07-20 9:42 AM (#135868)
Subject: Bit

Elite Veteran

Is anyone familiar with Robart bits?  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-07-20 12:53 PM (#135882 - in reply to #135868)
Subject: RE: Bit

Elite Veteran

Yep. Use on my MFT gelding. What do you want to know?
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-07-20 1:13 PM (#135884 - in reply to #135868)

Elite Veteran

I want to change bits on my 5 year old. I use Mylers and my 5 year was broke with a tom thumb which even though she does fine with it I want to change it. My Mylers are made in China (not wanting to start any issues) and I was looking for a bit made and assembled in the USA. Are they made in the USA? Are they truely pinchless? Are they made well?

Edited by Gone 2011-07-20 1:16 PM
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-07-20 8:01 PM (#135892 - in reply to #135884)

Elite Veteran

My Robart is several years old so yes it is well built. I have not seen the new ones so can't say where made or quality. It is a very balanced bit and does not pinch nor cause the nut cracker effect on the tongue and bars. Here is the bit I use... not sure if you are working gaited horses: https://www.pinchlessbits.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.tpl&product_id=24&category_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53 It works great in breaking at poll while still creating a soft mouth.... I get lots of nod and shake while maintaining collection.

And it is sooo sad about Mylers. The ones I saw at Horsefest in Springfield, MO were from Vietnam. The rep was there for Myler and I let him know how dissastisfied I was about the bit being made overseas and being charged more for them. I have a whole slew of USA Mylers and have been impressed with the quality and functionality. But I will no longer purchase them. Too bad because I have one mare that only likes a level two, short shank bit with tongue relief. Instead of constanly changing out headstalls, it is easier to just keep the bit on the headstall, but at $110 now for the bit, I can take five minutes and change it out.

I bought a Mik-Mar combination bit cheap on e-Bay, while I can't say the bit is a wonder bit and will solve all issues, it is a well made bit and it is made right here in the US of A! So I'd pay the extra dough if you see one of these bits to help with your training or for every day use. The company answers all questions and even sent me the string for free since it was missing on the used bit that I purchased. Now that is customer service! :)

Let me know what you end up with and how you like it.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-07-20 9:58 PM (#135895 - in reply to #135868)

Do not know where the Robarts bits are made but the ones I have are well made and have held up well. In fact, if cleaned they would all still look new. I use the spinner mouthpiece on a mature (18 y o TWH) gelding; the Waterford mouth on a 5 yo TWH mare; have the very high port for horses who have been hurt in the mouth; use the medium port as an all round bit. I have the broken mouthpiece bit and it does not seem to have the nutcracker effect of a standard snaffle. I have been very pleased with the bits.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-07-20 11:10 PM (#135898 - in reply to #135868)

Elite Veteran

Ya know what??? Its all in the hands... (light) I can ride at least two of our horses with a halter and lead rope.. Sweet iron broken snaffles w/ 5-6 inch shanks are fine if used properly. And I'm not braggin... I have a wall of shame in my tackroom that has every bit from a full cheek snaffle to a "stop n go", reining bits, walkin bits, etc... I finally figured out that time and wet blankets worked wonders. I haven't had a horse you could hop on like a lawnmower and turn a key yet. Hope you find your dream bit that works for you, thats all that matters.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)