'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fracture of the back coffin bone

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-19 4:57 PM
10 replies, 6600 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

danigirl
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-25 11:35 PM (#133539)
Subject: Fracture of the back coffin bone

Hello, So last July my horse was playing with the other horses in our field and was kicking and playing. She kicked the rail on our arena and fractured her coffin bone. So after much xrays and no weight on her foot she was fitted with a hot shod shoe with a bar. She was on stall rest for at least 2 months then turned out in a small area for another few months. It is April now. She runs in the field and I have walked and trotted in our soft sand arena and she seems so sound. No limp, no favouring (although I didn't canter - but she lopes with no rider easily in the field). I will keep shoe on her for the rest of the summer-but when do you think I should ride her regularly? Vet says that the fracture will still show up on xray and may always. Does anyone have experience in this similar incident? And what do you suggest? This is my favourite horse to go camping with in the mountains. Trails or not to hard. Thanks so much.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-04-26 6:25 AM (#133543 - in reply to #133539)
Subject: RE: Fracture of the back coffin bone

Veteran

Coffin bones have no medullary cavity like other bones. Hence fractures require a long time to ossify. While radiographically they appear fused within a few months, typically it is 6 or more before significant ossification sets in. This is due to the fracture initially bridging with a collagen type tissue. Approaching a year now things should be well set, and a good protocol was used for stabilization. With your vets clearance, it would seem a gradual return to work would be acceptable. Coffin bone fractures are always subject to fracturing again though so if rocks or heavy work, especially at speed are a possibility, you may want to consider a shoe or boot to be proactive during those periods.
danigirl
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-05-01 12:12 AM (#133705 - in reply to #133539)

Thanks that is very interesting. I have had the bar shoe hot shod on since the incident July 2010. She seems sound and we are thinking of going to the mountains to ride at the end of May. I am a worry wort but it sounds like she shouldn't go. We are not crazy riders but there is a lot of rock. We just walk though - no running or anything. She does get a little hyper sometimes and dances a bit. But no rodeoing. What to do? I think I should ride for a month in the arena and then see.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-05-01 4:01 PM (#133723 - in reply to #133539)

Extreme Veteran

I think you are setting yourself up for a major emotional crash. Fractured coffin bones hardly ever heal to prior fractured condition. You could spend a lot of money and time and then get let down.

Do consider it is pasture ornament and/or reproducing time for this mare.

The next fracture, when it happens, not if, could result in permanent lameness and very expensive repairs.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-05-01 6:58 PM (#133731 - in reply to #133539)

Veteran

Having been involved with no less than a half dozen fractures I would disagree. If it were a front limb I would be less optimistic. However, with the hind limb carrying less weight, the prognosis is favorable. Keep the horse in a side clipped shoe with a full or pour in pad. Start it like you would any horse returning to work. A trail riding career is just fine. Now if she were a hunter or show jumper it would be a different story.
danigirl
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-05-02 10:00 AM (#133756 - in reply to #133539)

I am hoping that it is all healed. We are just doing light duty right now walking and trotting on the sand arena. She has the one bar shoe and is getting the other shoes in a week...we have had lots of snow and ice and now finally the weather is great! Seems really sound and no signs of limping, tenderness or lameness. I am hopeful. I have the xrays but am no vet. The vet said it was a hairline crack and did not involve the joint and did not separate or fragment. Fingers crossed.Thanks all for the advice.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-05-19 1:49 AM (#134217 - in reply to #133539)

Expert

http://www.theracingjournal.com/health/article.php?article_id=494
danigirl
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-05-19 9:12 AM (#134218 - in reply to #133539)

Thanks Paul. It's good info. My horse was only on 3 feet when it occurred last July. She has been hot shod with a bar shoe and clips since that day. She doesn't seem to have any heel pain or pain in that foot and rides sound. It has been 10 months and I am hoping we are good to go. I won't take her to the mountains this time but maybe later in the summer, too many rocks and uneven ground to deal with. She is a bashkur curly and they are tough horses with generally good feet. fingers crossed. Not sure if I should get xrays now as the vet said that it won't show much. I don't understand that comment. Should it not show that the crack is healed? Anyone out there dealt with a crack or broken bone and xrays? Thanks
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-05-19 9:27 AM (#134222 - in reply to #133539)

Expert

We get to deal with this with clients quite a bit, and ALWAYS have a collaberation with a veterinarian with digital x-ray capability.........otherwise, you are taking a best guess.  Hubby has been called in to work on some pretty nice horses, both AQHA world and Derby horses.............Digital -x-ray is your only option to really know what is going on...if it has not healed by now........it is probably done all it is going to do... the digital will show most clearly the fracture's status...
danigirl
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-05-19 11:17 AM (#134227 - in reply to #133539)

Yes, I agree. I have the original digital xrays and asked the vet if - when it's healed will the xrays show that - and he said probably we would not see much difference. Maybe I misunderstood him. Next time we have the farrier out I will get the shoe pulled and trailer her to the vet and take pics. Now I am just curious...I think I did all the right things but who knows? She is a great horse and a joy to ride.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-05-19 4:57 PM (#134234 - in reply to #133539)

Expert

I think your treatment protocols were excellent, and am guessing that the outcome is going to be also.... good luck and keep us posted :)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)