'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cruppers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-16 9:27 PM
16 replies, 14789 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-04-21 3:24 PM (#133299)
Subject: Cruppers

Veteran

Anyone use a crupper? I have a Walking horse with very little withers. When going down steeper decents, that saddle is just about on his neck! I have a crupper, but would like some advice on how best to help him adjust to it. I want to get him used to it before going down hills and getting into a rodeo!! Would love some advice from you good folks.( Saddle fine otherwise and even ok on gentle slopes, but I get into some steeper stuff when I head to the mountains.)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-04-21 3:55 PM (#133301 - in reply to #133299)
Subject: RE: Cruppers

Expert

Well, having mules, we use cruppers, and britchen, depending on the situation.  To get your animal used to it, put it on with a small amount of slack, about like your curbchain, and lunge him at a walk. Let him just get used to it being there.  When he will lunge at a walk and trot (or gait) without incident, then have him stand, and you be beside him and ease your hand under the strap and lift it slowly, putting more pressure on it for him to feel, and let off.  Do this several times, then lead or send him out on a line in an area with a ditch or other descent, to let him feel it.  When this is no problem, ride him on the flat, occasionally reaching behind you and gently lifting the strap to apply some pressure.  Don't do this until he has proven to you that it doesn't bother him without you on his back.  Then, ride where you might cross a ditch or other downslope, one that is not lengthy.  Then gradually add more time or length to your downhill, and lastly the steepness of grade.  We like the cruppers that have only one buckle, high on the single strap on the croup, so as to not have their tail catch in the smaller buckles that are often on each side of the tail head...always start off  having the horse and the crupper clean, and build up to this gradually.  We have a hot walker, and will put them on that to walk a while, gradually increasing tension on the crupper, just to get them used to it.  It needs to be almost but not quite snug on the flat, as they round their back somewhat on a downhill, and that alone takes out the slack... your horse will be better off not having all that pressure on top of his scapula areas by a badly slipped saddle, so it is worth it to work up to this,  depending on the horse, a few days should have you both confident with it.  Naturally, if he clamps his tail and scoots around, you'd best not get aboard til that stuff lets up!

Edited by flyinghfarm 2011-04-21 3:57 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-21 5:56 PM (#133306 - in reply to #133299)

Expert

I've never found it to be a big deal. The horses learn how to use them pretty quick.  I see my horses clamping their tails down on the crupper when the saddles start to move.  They've learned to use them when they need them.

As mentioned above a little work in a round pen and they quickly get used to them. It's not a long learning curve.

The biggest caution is to no over tighten them.  You don't want the horse being squeezed between a crupper and the breast collar during normal movement. Or having it so tight that it incourages an inverted or hollow back.  You want them somewhat loose on the flat and when they start down hill the horses will clamp down their tail and tighten them.

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-04-21 6:02 PM (#133307 - in reply to #133301)

Veteran

Thank you flyin farm! He is a great horse...temperment, disposition, etc. Some folks said theyhad no problem adjusting and a few had their horse buck and carry on. I will take the time it takes...let you know how it turns out!
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-04-21 6:05 PM (#133308 - in reply to #133306)

Veteran

Painted Horse, is there a general rule of thumb you guys use to determine how tight, loose, etc.?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-21 8:49 PM (#133315 - in reply to #133299)

Expert

No rule of thumb.  Just look at it and make sure it has some slack when the horse is standing normal. 

When a horse starts downhill, They collect up and round out their backs,  This rounding out will take out most of the slack and as I mention your horse will quickly learn to clamp down their tail to really tight up the crupper.  You are not trying to pull the saddle backwards.  Just prevent it from sliding forward.

I tried to find some photos that show the cruppers.  But I couldn't find any that clearly show it.

This photo, has the horses head downhill, so he is already kinda rounded out and his tail is clamped down, You can see that most of the slack is gone.

Another lousy photo. The cantle bag is covering most of the crupper.

This is a really steep downhill. These horses all have cruppers on, But you can kinda see them on the palominos. But all the horses have their tails clamped down on the Cruppers, except for the lead horse that has turned across the face of the hill and lifted his tail.

The kid on the palomino here is using an australian saddle that doesn't have a D ring for the crupper, So this crupper splits and buckles to the two side rings.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-04-21 11:07 PM (#133323 - in reply to #133299)

Expert

I have a kind of funny story about cruppers,well,it wasn't too funny for the man,I am sure.We were at Big Creek trail ride a few yrs back,and,there was a guy there that had brought a beautiful 4Star LQ trailer,about a 14'SW with copper sinks,etc,it was a beaut.He was on crutches,tho.We asked him what in the world? He said he'd brought his older mare,about 18,and,thought he might need a crupper so,he brought one along that he had never used.Strapped it on the ole gal,went out on a ride,started down a steep hill,and,she went Western on him.Busted him up and I think broke his ankle,fortunately it was his left leg,because,he'd driven there alone.Don't you know he was in some kinda pain by the time he steered that rig home?
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-04-22 7:49 AM (#133333 - in reply to #133299)

Veteran

Good story.  My mare was 10 first time I used one she didn't flinch.  But I sent her to cart training for a month as a yearling she may have rememberd it from then.  I had one go bonkers the first time I put a breast strap on him He was 7ish TWH mellow great gelding. I had him in a halter and lead rope, I was just fitting the breast strap and wasn't going for a ride that day so I thru the saddle on put the strap on and got up to test the fit.....after 7 rodeo bucks - me with the loose lead rope in one hand other on the horn I  bailed off before we hit the fence.  he bucked and bucked then got over it, but I sure wasn't expecting that.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-22 8:25 AM (#133336 - in reply to #133299)

Expert

If you've ponyed extra horses or lead pack horses much with your horses, They will get the lead rope under their tail. This is much the same sensation to the horse.   Once they've learned not to worry about a rope under their tail, a crupper is no big deal.

To start teaching them, I often just put the lead rope under their tail. You can pull it out quick or let the horse lift his tail to drop it. So no need for the rodeos with a crupper that you can't reach to unbuckle.

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-04-22 7:59 PM (#133352 - in reply to #133333)

Veteran

If he did all that with just a breast strap.....just think how much fun you could have had with a crupper!! LOL!
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-04-22 8:05 PM (#133353 - in reply to #133336)

Veteran

Cool pics, PH..........you folks probably wouldn't know what to do with flat land!!! Beautiful territory out there. Have been riding in Montana and hope to get out to your area some day.

Wish me luck.....hope this , with some patience and going easy, will not be too much of an event. I appreciate eveyone's advice and good stories. I know all about those things that weren't too great when they happened, but make great campfire chat now!! Of course, when everyone gets through embellishing the story....it's much, much better! Happy trails, everyone.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-04-25 1:47 AM (#133442 - in reply to #133299)

Elite Veteran

My horses never got used to the crupper. I quit using it because they were getting a pinched nerve. starting crow-hopping down hills. Got worse every time. I tried loosening it, tightening it. Nothing worked so I quit using it. I would go with rear breeching if possible. At least your not putting too much strain on the tail this way. Especially if your more of a heavy weight rider.
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-05-10 6:48 AM (#134014 - in reply to #133442)

Veteran

CRUPPER UP-DATE!! What a non-event....I've had more resistance just putting on a saddle! He never even gave it a thought. I was pleasantly surprised. I did the prep like you guys suggested....rode for 3 days....not a flinch. But one thing he did that was sorta funny...where it snaps onto the brass fitting on the cantle, it makes a jingle noise when moving....in tune with his hind feet. Was kinda neat to me....he put one ear back to the jingle when he didn't know what in the world was back there!! Never acted up, but after a while, he ignored it. Thanks again for everyone's help.....it's these kind of things that can go terribly wrong!!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-05-10 8:46 AM (#134017 - in reply to #133299)

Expert

Glad it worked out for you.  I've never found it very difficult to teach horse to use a crupper.

I spent a year in SC and a year in GA, So I do understand your flat tree covered country. Seemed the only time I could see the sun set was if the road I was on headed due west. Other wize, the sun just went behind the tops of the trees.

These are actually sunrises, But you get the idea of seeing the sun move behind the actual land mass.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-05-10 12:15 PM (#134022 - in reply to #133299)

Elite Veteran

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-05-16 1:40 PM (#134158 - in reply to #134017)

Veteran

Painted horse.....your pictures are breathtaking...do you ride mostly backcountry or established trails...or both?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-05-16 9:27 PM (#134170 - in reply to #133299)

Expert

Established Trails?   Unlike the eastern part of the country, The mountain west is mostly public lands. Forest Service, BLM, State Trust Lands.  So we don't have established horse camps like the eastern part of the country has.  Virtually all of my camping is primative camping.

As far as trails.  We ride some marked Forest Service trails. usually during the summer months. Fall hunting season, we just wander the mountains as we hunt for elk or deer.  Most spring rides are on BLM land, and there are not many "Marked Trails" there. It's just wandering the desert.

Rides in Slot canyons are pretty defined by the canyon walls.  We just ride up the washed out stream beds.

Some rides we just follow the game trails or the cow trails or just wander our way to the ridge top

Some rides are trails that have been used since before white men came west. Indian traveled and traded over the Great Western Trail for example. The Forest Service and private groups like Back Country Horsemen maintain some of these trails.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)