'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
To shoe or not to shoe..

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-15 12:02 PM
30 replies, 9386 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-04-06 3:24 PM (#132681 - in reply to #132628)
Subject: RE: To shoe or not to shoe..

Expert

There is a difference from a trim with shoe/no shoe but it has nothing to do with being better for a horse. Either the farrier trims the horse correctly or they don't. A true "natural" trim means the ground does all the trimming..thats how the wild horses got their feet trimmed.

To do what is best is simply ask yourself. Is the horse sound and comfortable? If he is ok barefoot..thats your answer. Not all horses can do that- has much to do with genetics,nutrition and the horses build ( and of course where you are riding). I know people with 1500 Qh that have size OO shoes..left in a stall all day,everyday shod....and lame. Is it the shoes? More likely a 1500 horse in a stall all day with a OO foot. That foot is too small yet that is how they are bred to be. Even barefoot these horse are going to be problems.

Tradition does play a roll..horses under lots of use on rough ground can benefit with the support of a shoe.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-04-06 3:45 PM (#132682 - in reply to #132668)

Veteran

Figures lie and liars figure. This info was reviewed by what neutral party ? Go figure that a barefoot school can " prove" shoes are harmful. FYI it's got nothing to do with shoes / barefoot . Slanted garbage is slanted garbage. I can prove windows are bad, just ask Eric Clapton about his son. See ?
Originally written by pinkmouse on 2011-04-06 8:39 AM

Rich - no doubt, in your enthusiasm to respond, you must have missed the paper of their extensive background research that explained their methodologies and results.  They used whole hooves, with and without leg bones attached etc. and found the same results in all the configurations they used.  The video of the cutaway hooves allowed for a better visual presentation of the results.  There are also videos of a whole hoof undergoing the same test with the same results.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-06 7:08 PM (#132691 - in reply to #132628)

Expert

These are my geldings feet after riding two days of about 22 miles each day in extremely rocky terrain.

They are short, definitely doesn't need any hoof wall removed. They have  few chips, but no cracks or tears in the hoof. The wild mustang run thru this country. My horses can walk thru it. My horses stand in a paddock at home vs the mustangs crosing 20 miles of rocky terrain each day to get their food and water. So as long as I keep them short enough that their are no flares and no excessive hoof wall to bend back and break off. The hoof wall will be fine. 

And this is what he rode across for 40 miles over the two days.

My biggest concern is them getting a little tender on sole with extended riding across extremely rocky ground. Yes the mustangs do it. But they stand on that stuff every day and are acclimated to it. It I would haul in a few loads of crushed gravel for my paddock, My horse could probably be tough as the mustangs.  But then none of my neighbors would want my composted manure for their gardens. They woud be getting as many rock as manure.

Wild mustangs cantering across desert in the same area I was riding.

I've used all the various EasyBoot products and destroyed most of them.  The Easyboot Gloves are the best one to date. I still destory the occasional the gaiter.  Catch it on dead fall branch, squeeze the boot between rocks etc.  If I was willing to leave the boots on for 2 weeks, I think the Glue Ons would be the solution. But I worry about promoting Thrush or other diseases by sealing up the hoof for extended periods. I understand Easyboot is introducing a new Trail Model on April 25th. We've given them a lot of feed back over the years about their boots not holding up to serious trail rides. We will see if they made a better product.

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-07 10:03 AM (#132720 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

Figures lie and liars figure. This info was reviewed by what neutral party ? Go figure that a barefoot school can " prove" shoes are harmful. FYI it's got nothing to do with shoes / barefoot . Slanted garbage is slanted garbage. I can prove windows are bad, just ask Eric Clapton about his son. See ?

Wow Rich – you just bowled me over with your well thought out response - NOT.  As you obviously did not read it, you couldn’t possibly be able to make an intelligent argument for or against the paper, as evidenced by your childish posting.  Windows and Eric Clapton?  Really?    I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but there is no doubt that you are unarmed…………………Have a nice day.

ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-04-07 10:47 AM (#132722 - in reply to #132628)

Regular

it is my considered opinion that there are some topics that immediately elicit such strong responses that one is ill advised to even try to take a stand.

Mac vs PC

Ford vs Chevy

Parelli vs, well, NOT ;)

Barefoot vs Shod

each horse and riding situation has its own requirements and there is a universe of evidence on both sides.

that said, my endurance friends who ride barefoot-able horses swear by Renegade boots (tho they can slip and twist in the heavy mud we have around here) and those glue on boots. Folks also use the Glove with gaiters with success.

good luck!

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-15 12:02 PM (#133016 - in reply to #132628)

Extreme Veteran

Ordered our horses the Renegades today!

BTW: I appreciate everyone's posts who were civilized.  :)  I recognize this can be a hot topic, as I stated when I prefaced the original post. Thanks again for the input, suggestions, and pictures.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)