'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
To shoe or not to shoe..

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-15 12:02 PM
30 replies, 9425 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-05 10:10 AM (#132628)
Subject: To shoe or not to shoe..

Extreme Veteran

I know, this is a highly debated topic. Hear me out..

My wife and I have gone completely barefoot with our horses since we've had them (about 5 years). We've really had no issues with excessive hoof wear, soreness, lameness, road founder, or anything else. This year, we are planning to ride quite a bit more than the years past. The group we ride with always shoes and always suggests we shoe them. After our week long trip to Hocking Hills (which is very rocky terrain), they stopped picking at us becasue of how good of shape they were in. 

I called our farrier and asked him what he thinks since he knows our horses hooves the best. He's seen them right after we've come home from long rides where there were many miles on asphalt, rocks, etc. He's always been impressed with how our horses hooves looked. He always comments on how good their feet are. I told him the kind of riding and amount we planned on and he suggested we shoe them. I trust him a lot and its not just a "more money" ploy for him.

I asked about trimming soles and he said that he does take the sole off when he shoes. Do any of you leave the sole on? We've worked pretty hard to callous those soles to prevent any "ouchy" issues.

What do you all think? I want to say no shoes and we'll see, but then if we wear the hooves faster than they grow, we can end up laming them up for the riding season.

I just cannot stand how bad some horses feet look after having shoes on. Brittle, tender-footed, and so on.

I do not want to shoe them, maybe i'm being stubborn or maybe I'm inherently resistant to change. BUT I do want to do whats going to be best for our girls.

Can I shoe them for a week long ride to Big South Fork, pull the shoes and ride the summer barefoot, then shoe them again to go for a week and a half to various parks including Hocking Hills in the fall? Will this cause a lot of issues?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-05 10:52 AM (#132630 - in reply to #132628)
Subject: RE: To shoe or not to shoe..

Veteran

Mine are barefoot as well and have been for many years - I do endurance riding.  If I think the terrain is going to be really rocky, I use my Renegades.  Easy on-easy off.  And NO holes in their hooves.  Much cheaper in the long run.

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-04-05 11:25 AM (#132632 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

I agree with Pinkmouse, keep them bare foot and get the renegade boots and use if necessary. I had mine going real good bare foot - put shoes on for 1 ride and it took well over a year to get the hoof back to a good bare foot hoof.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-05 11:31 AM (#132633 - in reply to #132628)

Extreme Veteran

I have looked into the various brands of boots. Maybe this would be a better option for us? Do you like the renegades?

The more research I do, the more I lean to not shoe them.

What I've done in the past is just let their hooves get a little long (not much) before we go.

What I'm most concerned about is ruining the overall integrity of the hoof. I don't want the sole cut down, and I don't want to lose the sidewall thickness.

Maybe I've read too many "pro barefoot" articles and can't see the forest for the trees. This is a whirlwind decision for me..

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-05 11:35 AM (#132634 - in reply to #132628)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions...

Z, this is my fear..

Do ya'll use hoof boots on front only or both front and rear..

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-05 11:51 AM (#132635 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

Renegades on all four

I've tried other brands and they were a major PITA!

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-05 12:04 PM (#132637 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

More reasons why you should not shoe your horse. The videos are quite informative.

http://www.swedishhoofschool.com/Videofilm3.htm

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-05 12:17 PM (#132638 - in reply to #132628)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the link and info. I know the reasons why I shouldn't shoe. This is why this decision has bothered me so much.

Could I get away with using just the fronts? I read that they are only really necessary on the front, but some endurance rules state you have to be adequately shod on all 4. We don't do endurance, just have a couple week long trips scheduled this year and several 3 day weekends, with various day trips tossed in.

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-05 12:32 PM (#132640 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

I think that you would be fine if you used them only on the front as that is where most of their weight is carried.  You are correct in that some of the endurance rules require hoof protection on all four.

I noticed that when walking barefoot on semi-rocky surfaces, it was only the fronts that were 'ouchy' for my horse.  On really rocky surfaces, it is all four.  If I notice a rocky patch, I always try to go around as it can be slippery as well.

I just put that coment about reasons not to shoe for others who might like some more info - didn't mean to imply that you don't know why you shouldn't shoe

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-05 3:30 PM (#132642 - in reply to #132640)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by pinkmouse on 2011-04-05 1:32 PM

I think that you would be fine if you used them only on the front as that is where most of their weight is carried.  You are correct in that some of the endurance rules require hoof protection on all four.

I noticed that when walking barefoot on semi-rocky surfaces, it was only the fronts that were 'ouchy' for my horse.  On really rocky surfaces, it is all four.  If I notice a rocky patch, I always try to go around as it can be slippery as well.

I just put that coment about reasons not to shoe for others who might like some more info - didn't mean to imply that you don't know why you shouldn't shoe

Oh, I know you weren't implying. Sorry if I came across like I thought you were...anyway, I just got off the phone with a Renegade supplier. She was a very nice lady and I'm officially sold on them. She spent about 30 min explaining the pros of them. My farrier is coming this week to trim so I can take the measurements and get them ordered. These just make more sense for us and I won't lose anymore sleep over this decision. Thanks for pointing me to the Renegades..I knew I could come here and get good direction.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-05 6:12 PM (#132645 - in reply to #132628)

Expert

My horses have been barefoot for most of the past 5 years.  I can ride anywhere for a day. And I ride some really nasty country and put a lot of miles on my horses. What I have found is that my horses start walking in the grass along the edge of the trail. Being just a little hesitant to trot or canter on hard surfaces. If I know I'm going for 2-3-4 days of mountain riding, I will bring some boots. ( I currently use the EasyBoot Gloves)  With these I can give my horses protection on the 2nd or 3rd day.  And yes I typically just boot the front hooves.

That said, Last fall, I decided I just didn't want to mess with boots for hunting season.  Deep snow, Dead fallen logs, rocky crevices all take a toll on the boots. If I don't loose one, I'm at least sure to tear a gaiter or two. I don't care what brand of boot you buy, bushwacking through timber chasing elk is hard on boots. And I was tired of paying to repair or replace. So I put shoes on for the 4 weeks that I was hunting.

Hunting season is the hardest work my horses do all year. Besides packing me around, I'm often dressed heavily because of the weather, carrying a rifle, ammo, bino's, daypack with lunch and survival gear. I add 50lbs easily to what I normally weigh during summer rides. add to that we are riding at 8,000-11,000 foot elevation, often straight up steep mountains.  No switch back easy trails.  Arrival often means a pack trip up the canyon carrying in our camp and a return trip to get bags of feed for the horses, At the end we pack camp out and return to haul out any elk we've shot. Anyway, you get the drift.  They work hard over very rocky terrain.

So last fall I put shoes on.  I've been triming my horses for the last 5 years. So this was my first try at putting shoes. Call my old farrier and he told me what shoes and nails to buy and I put them on.  I did not trim any sole. My hardest tack was flatting out the hoof wall. My horses had a very good mustang roll on all their feet. And that roll didn't leave me much room to drive nails thru.  But the shoes stayed on. I pulled them 4 weeks later.  The mustang roll I put on  after pulling the shoes removed almost all the nail holes.  I can honestly say, I don't think it affected my horses feet at all.

With the shoes on my horses stayed in the center of the trail, No more beating my knees into trees as they tried to walk the edge of the trail to get into softer dirt. They were much more eager to move out even on the rockiest of terrain.

Could I have gotten the same effect with boots on all 4 hooves.  Absolutely. I believe in boots.  But where a set of shoes cheaper than repairing or replacing lost boots. YES. Did I have to get up 30 minutes earlier each morning to go around and put boots on 16 hooves. Nope,  Shoes stayed on for all weeks, Saved me a lot of sleep. Did I have to go pull boots off when I was cold and tired after a day on mountain. Nope.

I will probably still use boots for a weekend ride that needs some protection. But if I see a multi week period that I know I will be working the horses hard, I'll probably put shoes on again for that short period.

This is where I hunt.  Steep mountains .

Picking way through Deadfall

washed out canyon is full of rocks and gravel. It's 7 miles up this canyon and horses some times make 2 trips a day up and back for 28 miles of walking on rock

I had horses step in rock crevices and pull boots right off.  and I suspect if stepped just right they could pull shoes right off

I can ride my barefoot horse thru almost anything, I just can't do it multiple days in row with out some protection.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-05 6:20 PM (#132646 - in reply to #132628)

Expert

You said you leave your barefoot horses just a little long to give them some hoof to wear off. I'm just the opposite. It's not wearing off the hoof that causes my problems, But rather the flairing that causes the horses pain.  If I leave the hoof wall long, I am promoting the flaring of the hoof as the horses put their weight on the hoof wall.  I usually trim mine up before a tough ride to insure there is no leverage to tear the lamini in the whiteline and cause the hoof to flair.

I've also used Vettec SoleGuard to add protection to sole area of my horses feet.  It's advertised to stay in place for up to 3 weeks. I find 12-14 days to be more realistic. But it does work.

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-04-05 6:32 PM (#132647 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

nice pictures.  I dont shoe my horse unless I have to. Most years  I have shoes put on for one to three months and go bare foot the rest of the time with no issues. I do keep an eye on the nail holes when the foot is growing out and rasp as needed to prevent chips.   I had a pair of easy boots but as said takes time to put them on and after a long day riding pulling them off is a pia.  I am going to look at the renagades

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-05 6:39 PM (#132648 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

Renegades are great because after you make the initial adjustments when you first get them, they are super easy to get on and off.  No gators.  No wrenches/screwdrivers to tighten on the horse (that was the craziest design I ever found!), no yanking of anything - just a simple velcro strap.  They also come in bright colors so if you lose one (I have yet to lose one) they are much easier to find.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-05 6:58 PM (#132649 - in reply to #132646)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2011-04-05 7:20 PM

You said you leave your barefoot horses just a little long to give them some hoof to wear off. I'm just the opposite. It's not wearing off the hoof that causes my problems, But rather the flairing that causes the horses pain.  If I leave the hoof wall long, I am promoting the flaring of the hoof as the horses put their weight on the hoof wall.  I usually trim mine up before a tough ride to insure there is no leverage to tear the lamini in the whiteline and cause the hoof to flair.

I've also used Vettec SoleGuard to add protection to sole area of my horses feet.  It's advertised to stay in place for up to 3 weeks. I find 12-14 days to be more realistic. But it does work.

That's interesting. When I say long, I rasp mine weekly for the most part, but will let them go for about 2 weeks. This doesn't let them get real long and I've never had a whiteline issue. Rarely does our farrier have to take flare out of their hooves. When we went on our trip to Hocking Hills last year, there were many unexpected asphalt roads and logging roads that had became part of the trail. The horses never became lame, but the hoof wall on the fronts were down a little further than I like them to be by the time we left.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-04-05 7:08 PM (#132650 - in reply to #132637)

Veteran

BS on that. The hoof is a cone structure, saw it in half and the integrity is destroyed. May as well stick a bananna in that press. Junk science at it's best.

Originally written by pinkmouse on 2011-04-05 12:04 PM

More reasons why you should not shoe your horse. The videos are quite informative.

http://www.swedishhoofschool.com/Videofilm3.htm

HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-04-05 7:14 PM (#132651 - in reply to #132628)

Both my horses are barefoot. My trimmer scrapes just a little bit of sole off every once in a while, but mainly doesn't touch it. I also boot on large 3-4 day rides, big stone ones like Salt Fork. I only have to boot a few times a year. I boot on fronts only, and they still gait well. I have used several models of boots. I had Renegades. They were very easy to put on, but they came off just as easy in deep mud at Alum Creek. The horse I had them on has longer than wide hooves, so this boot didn't work for her. I had to go back to Epics.  So I'd check out the measurements for the best fitting boots also depending on your horses shape. Also, if you have any old hoof boots around, easycare has a trade in program that gives you half off a new pair.  Good luck on your barefoot journey wherever it takes you! 
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-05 7:18 PM (#132652 - in reply to #132628)

Elite Veteran

Is there an English version Rich?

Edited by Gone 2011-04-05 7:19 PM
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-04-05 8:09 PM (#132655 - in reply to #132633)

Veteran

We have been barefoot with all of our horses...Quarter and gaited for 7 years. We boot when it is rocky (front) , barefoot when it is not. Never had any issues with bruising, etc. I like Renegades also....but do have Easy Care Epics and Glove. I keep the two I ride the most  on a 4-week trim schedule which works best for them and use a natural barefoot trimmer. Used to use shoes..........NEVER again. We ride in alot of varied terrain and often, camping and trail riding between 4-7 days at a time. Stay with your instinct. Happy trails!
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-05 8:20 PM (#132657 - in reply to #132628)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the input all. You're correct, I will be following my instincts with leaving them barefoot. I'm glad I asked this question in this forum, though. I have gained a lot of good info was pointed in a direction that solves all of my issues. Everyone here has renewed my confidence in our barefoot horses.Keep the input coming. Hopefully this post can help or possibly changeover some that have similar questions.
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-04-06 8:35 AM (#132666 - in reply to #132628)

Veteran

Although I am all about barefoot, I do see relevance in what Painted Horse is saying...he certainly rides in much more extreme terrain than I probably will (on my own horses). Things are always relevant and folks on this forum have a wealth of knowledge...if what you are doing is not broken, don't fix it. I just feel (and it is only my opinion) if you go fine barefoot, use boots when it gets rough, then maybe avoid putting on/taking offf shoes just for a ride or two. Have safe and enjoyable riding adventures!! Life is good!

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-04-06 8:39 AM (#132668 - in reply to #132650)

Veteran

Rich - no doubt, in your enthusiasm to respond, you must have missed the paper of their extensive background research that explained their methodologies and results.  They used whole hooves, with and without leg bones attached etc. and found the same results in all the configurations they used.  The video of the cutaway hooves allowed for a better visual presentation of the results.  There are also videos of a whole hoof undergoing the same test with the same results.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-04-06 9:22 AM (#132671 - in reply to #132628)

Expert

IMO you do whats best for the horse in your situation and not according to a theology. If my horses need shoes..for whatever reason..they get shod. If they don't..then they are barefoot. I have seen more problems with UNshod feet rather than properly shod horses.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-04-06 9:31 AM (#132672 - in reply to #132628)

Expert

Shoes do serve a purpose-they offer protection and support for the hoof and legs from hard or rough surfaces. Some horses need the support of a shoe even if they are show horses riding in arenas. Shoes are not the evil that some have made them out to be. Like anything else they can contribute to problems if not properly done or left on too long etc. I have seen barefoot horse with cracks,chips and lameness issues which might be resolved with shoes or at least offer the horse some comfort. I once asked my farrier what is the difference between a trim and a "natural trim"...he said about $40 bucks. I tend to agree...
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-06 10:42 AM (#132674 - in reply to #132671)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by farmbabe on 2011-04-06 10:22 AM

IMO you do whats best for the horse in your situation and not according to a theology. If my horses need shoes..for whatever reason..they get shod. If they don't..then they are barefoot. I have seen more problems with UNshod feet rather than properly shod horses.

Shoes do serve a purpose-they offer protection and support for the hoof and legs from hard or rough surfaces. Some horses need the support of a shoe even if they are show horses riding in arenas. Shoes are not the evil that some have made them out to be. Like anything else they can contribute to problems if not properly done or left on too long etc. I have seen barefoot horse with cracks,chips and lameness issues which might be resolved with shoes or at least offer the horse some comfort. I once asked my farrier what is the difference between a trim and a "natural trim"...he said about $40 bucks. I tend to agree...

I agree, there may be some venues and circumstances where shoes serve a purpose.

The "if they need shoes, then shoe them. Whats the hard part of that decision?" is the response that I have gotten from the folks we ride with. They mean well, but to me, just don't get it. It's not that I've "bought into" a theology, but I truly want what is going to be best for my horses. In fact, I tend to lean that shoeing is more of a "tradition" than a necessity in many cases. I, however, can most align with the barefoot side of the coin--it just makes sense to me. I've spent a lot of time doing research on both "arguments" and honestly, I would not be opposed to doing something like Painted Horse did in that scenario. My farrier told me that this was not really possible and he preferred to take the sole off. I can't imagine there was much hoof health and integrity being compromised shoeing that way and for such a short time. Thanks Painted for sharing your experience.  

Possibly, those unshod horses that you've seen more problems with were fresh out of shoes or not given the opportunity to become good barefoot horses. I've seen more horses shod "correctly" with problems. Their feet are always sore, brittle, and theres little hoof left to attach a shoe to. Not to mention the numerous joint and tendon problems. These horses are shod 9 out of 12 months by the same farrier whos been in the "biz" for 30+ years.

The more I research, the more I find that I may have been out of line in the past by leaving the hoof wall a little long (thanks for calling me out painted). Now I know and can change it. Not that I've ever had any problems, but for the same reasons I change the oil in my truck at 5k instead of 7500--Just because I can do something, doesn't mean I should.

I don't think shoes are inherently bad, but I agree, if done incorrectly, barefoot and shod can cause issues. I will respectfully disagree with your farrier, farmbabe, when it comes to "trim vs. natural trim." If it's anything like around here, a "trim" is what they do before shoes. They take them way down, take the soles off, takes the frog way down, and no "mustang roll." I fired a farrier for this. I found our current farrier who is a big believer in natural trimming, but shoes as well. His natural trim is essentially taking the hoof wall down, taking out flare, and rolling the toe. He obviously uses discretion and will do more if needed. Our farrier now is $15 cheaper per horse and does a thousand times better job.  

I "thought" I knew quite a bit about why barefoot was "better," but I've learned so much more. Like I said, I'm glad I asked here. Maybe a lot of my decision making troubles were due to ignorance.

Thanks again everybody.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)