'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle Fit

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-02 3:53 PM
5 replies, 7171 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ILtrailrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2011-04-01 1:38 PM (#132499)
Subject: Saddle Fit

I know this has been talked about on here before, but am going to ask again...I am in a situation, money wise currently, that I can't afford a properly fitting saddle for my half arab pinto...I do have to saddles that fit her okay , not what I consider a proper fit....Is there some way, as far as padding goes, that I can make either saddle more comfortable for her to carry??? She is half arab/half paint horse....The saddles I have in question  are either semi-quarter horse or full quarter horse bars...Not really sure cuz both were bought used and weren't tagged if they were either or....I know an arab saddle would fit her more comfortablely but it is just not possible financially  for me right now...But do plan to get a different saddle when it is possible for me to afford one...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-01 3:58 PM (#132505 - in reply to #132499)
Subject: RE: Saddle Fit

Elite Veteran

Sell the two you currently have and then look for a used Arab saddle.
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2011-04-01 8:14 PM (#132515 - in reply to #132499)

Veteran

You can do long term damage to your horse from an ill-fitting saddle. Good idea to sell both saddles and put that $$ towards a better fitting one. Read up on saddle fitting because a saddle labeled "arab" or "gaited" or "QH tree" or whatever does not mean it will automatically fit every horse of that breed. Horses within breeds vary too much for a saddle to be a standard fit.

Even just ride in a bareback pad until you get a saddle.

Good luck! Saddle fitting can be a nightmare.

Judy
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-04-02 9:28 AM (#132528 - in reply to #132499)

Regular

I"m sure you know that nothing beats a saddle that actually fits your horse.

but a poorly fitting saddle can really mess your horse up, especially a big heavy traditional western saddle. Run your fingertips along your horses topline after you unsaddle. do they flinch? do they pin their ears? do the same along their shoulder blades. feel along the withers. look for the horses reaction.

do you see rub marks/broken hairs? is there swelling, or even raw/red spots? its not just cosmetic, it can throw their backs out and cause some serious long term problems. a horse who is pinched every time they stride out is not going to move for you, not to mention it just plain HURTS!

there's a jillion websites and videos on line that go through saddle fit and how to assess it. of course there's tons of people who are willing to come to your barn and help too (for a price ;))

folks will sometimes make up for SMALL saddle fitting issues with pads and risers. Even my custom fit Specialized saddle sometimes doesnt fit as well as its supposed to (the joys of a geriatric horse, with his ever changing topline  ). Right now we're fighting loin rubs... where the hairs are getting broken and rubbed off, but not enough to make him bruised or sore.

you can spend a FORTUNE on pads that swear they'll make up for saddle fit, but dont believe it! not for big stuff, and not forever.

that said, I've been super happy with my Toklat Woolback pad. its helping make up for MINOR topline variation until he gets re-muscled up. (and then I'll likely need to refit the saddle itself. oh goody! ;)). I've seen pads that claim to help in the shoulder area, and ones that claim to help for the topline. there's also the claim that if you just put enough cush on their backs, it wont matter.

I'm not saying this Toklat pad will work for you, or your saddle. nor am I saying that "the right pad will make any saddle fit" (contrary to what the saddle pad salesman will tell you ;)). No pad, no matter how magical will make up for a saddle that the tree doesnt fit (ie too long for the horse, or too tight in the withers).

Saddle fit, as we're hearing from other posters is a total pain in the patoot!!!!!! but its really really important if you care about being able to ride your horse long term....

hope this is helpful...

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-04-02 9:36 AM (#132529 - in reply to #132499)

Veteran

Did your horse get the back of the arab that is more mutton withered or take more after the paint that will usually have more withers. I have a quarab that I ride with semi-quarter horse bars and I have another 1/2 arab that I do have to use the arab tree on because of his mutton withers. Crestridge saddles website has a good article on how to measure your horse for what size tree it will need. Out of the 4 half arabs I've had, I've only had the one that needed the arabian tree.
cmcgraw1950
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2011-04-02 3:53 PM (#132542 - in reply to #132499)

You might investigate the CorrecTor Pad that Len Brown sells.  He has an extensive web site that explains how it works.  It's not too expensive either if you just buy the CorrecTor pad itself and forego all the pricey covers, etc.  There might be used ones for sale too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)