'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mare Canine Teeth....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-01 1:30 PM
7 replies, 11137 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-31 12:02 PM (#132431)
Subject: Mare Canine Teeth....

Extreme Veteran

Well, as earlier posted, I had the Equine Dentist out yesterday to float 2 of my horses teeth. Upon looking in my mare's mouth he said.."Hm, thats odd."

She apparently has recently (within weeks) cut Canine teeth on her bottom jaw-both sides and he thinks she will cut canine teeth soon on her top. Which after reading all morning, is apparently pretty rare-I guess about 30% of mares. I have 2 other mares and they do not have these teeth. This mare is a Rocky Mountain/TWH cross and is about 4 1/2 to 5 yeas old, from what I can tell. She has no papers.  

While reading, I started noticing a pattern of behavior that people were reporting in their mares that have these teeth-Dominant, pushy, some aggressive, and some portraying Stallion-like behaviors.

My mare with these teeth is all listed except aggressive. She is #2 in the herd of 5 and runs the bottom 3 all over the field some days (1 mare, 2 geldings). I wouldn't call her the alpha-mare type though(she's still young and kind of goofy to watch, too smart for her own good, but dumb if you know what I mean) when compared to the alpha mare that we currently have (which was a broodmare and is a sweet but stern leader, smart, and a true watch-dog[horse] of sorts).  

We have always joked that my mare was a stallion trapped in a mares body (she nuzzles the other mares and does other "reproductive things" around them). Some asked about a correlation between these behaviors and a hormone imbalance, possibly a little heavy on the testosterone side. The dentist also echoed hormone imbalance and difficult to breed as she would not be as prone to "taking" the stud.

She's a very fun ride, holds herself proudly, but has a little fire under her. She does tend to get pushy, even with me, at times. If I don't go in the pasture for a couple days, she gets looks like "why are you in my pasture?" but is never aggressive. Most times, she's an absolute sweetheart, calls out at you when she sees you, first one to the fence, loves human interaction, and we've been on some hairy trail rides together and really have a good trust in one another. I really enjoy this horse, even though she can be a challenge-I actually enjoy the challenge. I'm one that prefers mares over geldings any day. I always chalked her behavior up to limited human interaction for the first 2 years of her life, but all of this hormone talk makes perfect sense.

I'm wondering if anyone has any additional insight? Maybe you breeders would know a little more or noticed specific behaviors?

She tends to "gum" her bit, but has only done it in the past couple months, never before. Is this just her teething?

(Her bit is an IMUS comfort bit, so theres really no direct mouth pressure for her to shy away from).

(Please leave the "sell her" comments out--not an option)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-31 5:28 PM (#132452 - in reply to #132431)
Subject: RE: Mare Canine Teeth....

Elite Veteran

I wouldn't sell her based on her pecking order in a herd. Gosh, she is just 5 years old. Still young in mind and still in need of some reinforcement ground behavior training. I have found the a five year-old horse is like a teenager - they like to test the waters and your patience. Ha!

And yes, she is still developing teeth at five. It's nice that you had her teeth floated and this should help with the bit issues. Here is a good chart since you are interested in dentistry - http://www.cherokeeanimalclinic.com/equine_dentalhealth.htm

If she is doing what you ask and offers a great ride, that would satisify me. I have a very dominant mare that I have had since she was three (she is 8 now). Her and my dominant gelding never got a long.... And I mean NEVER. She has her own pasture with a gelding to boss and he has two mares for his harem.

There are drugs or herbal supplements you can give your mare to calm those hormones down or you could spay her since she is not registered and that would end the goofy mare behavior once and for all. My friend uses a herbal called magic mare with success as her mare can get cranky http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4456ef9f-86c6-4a3e-8915-c7d19a9390dc -

A bloodtest will tell you if the hormone levels are ok. Just remember too that this time of the year mares are cycling pretty hard right now. All my mares are acting goofy and squirting/squating in front of my geldings. Wishful thinking on their part!

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-31 5:32 PM (#132453 - in reply to #132431)

Elite Veteran

Oh, and I'm not so sure I would take much stock in your mare's behavior based on the presence of canine teeth. Maybe get a few other vet opinions about the correltation between the bossy behavior and the teeth. If there is one, I'd be interested in reading about it. There is always something new to learn with horses.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-31 9:50 PM (#132464 - in reply to #132431)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks! I will bring it up the next time I have the vet out. I'm not really all that concerned about it because she's a great horse with good ground manners and excellent saddle manners, just.....testy, sometimes.. I just found it interesting that the mares that exhibited some of these more unwanted behaviors all had these teeth in common. I didn't know if others here had noticed it, or maybe this had opened their eyes to possible reasons as to why she is how she is. I know it did me, and makes almost perfect sense. From what I could find (after hours of research) was that the hormone imbalance was definitely a possibility, and most believe so, but no official studies have been done to test this correlation. There were some extreme examples of mares mounting mares and being just generally rotten and aggressive. After further testing, it was determined that these mares had cysts or tumors on their ovaries. One case reported the removal of an 18lb tumor, some had to be euthanised. Mine is not nearly like that, but it has definitely been an interesting little research project. I just found it interesting that the mares that exhibited some of these more unwanted behaviors all had these teeth in common. I also read an interesting study being conducted at the University of Kentucky's equine division about "sex change" in horses. Apparently they have discovered that some mares are genetically identical to a male except for the "plumbing" and exhibit male behavior. They apparently were born with an "XY" chromosome--supposed to come out male, but came out "looking" like a female. They have found them to be sterile. This stuff is interesting to me.
ILtrailrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2011-03-31 10:45 PM (#132472 - in reply to #132431)

Funny that you should bring up canine teeth....I just recently went with a friend (he borrowed my trailer so I rode along) to take his Appy mare to a trainer for a re-fresher and that the first thing he checked for was canine teeth....I asked if she had some sharp points and he said no I was checking for canine teeth....I thought it was kind of strange cuz I was always told (even by vets) that it was pretty rare for mares to have canines...I didn't say a word to this trainer cuz I thought he would think I was being a smart-ass about it...But I have never seen a mare with canine teeth...
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-01 5:24 AM (#132479 - in reply to #132431)

Extreme Veteran

Do you know the trainers reasoning behind checking for the teeth first off?
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-04-01 11:09 AM (#132491 - in reply to #132431)

Extreme Veteran

Do you think the trainer was actually checking for "wolf teeth"? Many people confuse the two, although I would be leary of a "trainer" that did. hehe As a trainer I always checked for wolf teeth because they can cause alot of training issues by inteferring with the bit and causing mouth pain. I bet that is what he meant. However as a "trainer" he certainly needs to know what he is talking about.:(
ILtrailrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2011-04-01 1:30 PM (#132498 - in reply to #132431)

I think he, the trainer, was checking for any sharp points...My trainer has done this before but only after he has been on the horse and feels there is a problem with how the horse is carrying or reacting to the bit...I have had a vet do teeth in the past before they went to a trainer to be sure there is no sharp points and make a bit seat...The guy that owns the horse I was talking about has owned horses before, back in high school like over 30 years ago, so I would consider him pretty much a novice horse owner and doesn't know a whole lot and doesn't think to ask any questions or at least the right ones...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)