'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cracked corn in lieu of equine dentist/vet?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-06 5:23 AM
12 replies, 9491 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-30 12:00 PM (#132367)
Subject: Cracked corn in lieu of equine dentist/vet?

Extreme Veteran

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about teeth floating in general, equine dentistry and how I am considering going back to school for EqDT. They told me that they think it is crock or a waste of money when you can buy a bag o' cracked corn and throw the horses a "handful a day to keep the dentist away."

Their argument was that the grinding of the corn will keep points rounded off. Claims he has never had a horse that needed a float. I am also well aware of the sugar and starch concerns of too much corn.

I'm not at all looking to give up regular dental care, but more am wondering if anyone really does this for this reason other than him.

Opinions?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-30 12:27 PM (#132369 - in reply to #132367)
Subject: RE: Cracked corn in lieu of equine dentist/vet?

Elite Veteran

HAHAHA!! Oh boy, where do these people come from?!?!? Cracked corn is not going to solve teeth issues. The mere feeding of grains is why teeth need floated. We don't let horses eat in a natural environment. We feed hay, grain, supplements etc. Each horse is an individual and some will require more floats than others. I bet he has at least one horse that needs work, but doesn't take the time to get an expert opinion.

I think going to school for Equine Dentistry is valuable. Not a lot vets spend much time in learning the different aspects of teeth issues. It's almost a crash course. I have in the past used an Equine Dentist that was also a vet. He was dentist first and then vet before he retired.

The only issue with being only an equine dentist is you will not be able to administer sedation drugs. But that can be worked out by working in a vet clinic.

Good luck to you.... we need more equine dentists and I'm hoping the legistlative boards across the country will change the laws to allow certified dentists to administer sedative drugs.

I wish you much success if you go this route. There a need!

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-30 12:39 PM (#132371 - in reply to #132367)

Extreme Veteran

These were my thoughts exactly, but this is the type of person that when they have their minds set, there's no changing it.

Thanks for the good luck words. I'm still tossing it around. I am nearing completion of my Bachelors Degree in Business Admin, but hate sitting behind a desk. I have a huge interest in Equine Dentistry and natural hoof trimming. Life's just too short to do something you hate.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2011-03-30 1:00 PM (#132372 - in reply to #132367)

Elite Veteran

IMHO...some folks are just plain cheap and stupid.

Tell your friend...that if she/he can afford to fuel your truck to get to a trail ride or show, then she/he can afford to call the vet to float their horse's teeth.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-03-30 7:46 PM (#132388 - in reply to #132367)

Expert

Dear God.  What a crock.  Are they genuinely believing this?  That statement alone would make me consider their overall ability to properly care for their animals.  What a unbelievable utterance by someone whom I suppose can read and write? If you want to know how I really feel.........well I better not quite go there, altogether.....

The answer is yes to professional toothcare, and     no    to rocks, sand, cracked corn, and waving a magic wand.

ILtrailrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2011-03-30 9:58 PM (#132399 - in reply to #132367)

Wow, people will believe anything now a days.....That is a new one to me, have never heard that before...I grew up on a farm and was always taught that you never feed corn to a horse....I have a friend that likes to feed his horses ear corn....He says "its a treat" for them...Then he wonders why his horses are so over weight...Gee go figure....

I say for it and get that degree in equine dental care....You'll be more sorry if you don't do it....

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-31 5:40 AM (#132408 - in reply to #132367)

Extreme Veteran

I had the equine dentist out to the farm yesterday to float a couple horses teeth and decided to ask him if he'd ever heard of this practice. He said that he doesn't believe in it at all, but apparently, this is a common practice amongst the Amish here in Ohio. He said they actually use whole corn. 

I told him how ridiculous I thought it was, he agreed, but said "you go try to argue with one of the Amish guys." He said he knew he was doing something right when he started getting calls from a few Amish to float their draft horses teeth.

Interesting..definitely a new one on me, as well.

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-03-31 9:45 AM (#132424 - in reply to #132367)

Extreme Veteran

I live and work in an extremely "Amish" area of PA. Some Amish are open to education, some are not. Try selling them feed- especially for their thin or ulcer-ridden horses. They do love to spend money on supplements! We do have a lot of Amish "dentists" here- I don't know where they get their training and would not use them on my horses!

I will say if I can show them the monetary value of a product, I can usually sell them on it. I have taken to doing spread sheets showing the costs of feed and supplements per pound or serving per day. I guess if I were trying to sell them on the value of dentistry, I would try to show them how much more efficiently their horse could utilize their feed and how much better their health would be.

I have never heard the corn theory of dentistry, but it reminds me of the tobacco theory of deworming!

HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-03-31 12:49 PM (#132434 - in reply to #132367)

I feed my horses cracked corn & oats, just a handful twice a day. They are in good shape, but they still need there teeth floated. Sounds crazy to me! You should talk to Alex Shroyer who posts on here. She is also in Ohio & just finished her Equine Dentistry. I believe she does trims & chiropractic also. She has a lot of knowledge.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-03-31 3:51 PM (#132442 - in reply to #132367)

Elite Veteran

Hmmm, that's a new one to me. It kind of falls right into place with "15.5" hand tall horses.

Edited by Gone 2011-03-31 3:53 PM
partimecowboy
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2011-04-01 8:16 PM (#132516 - in reply to #132367)

I don't buy the corn theory either, but I had a highly regarded professional trainer suggest having an equine dentist ( that traveled with the trainer) evaluate the teeth of my grandaughter's horse, to improve response to the bit. ( that should have been a dead giveaway) Of course, he said they needed floating and he showed me the sharp outer edges. It has been over a yr and the horse now drops food out of his mouth and turns his head to the side when chewing grain. He started all this immediately after the teeth were floated. My regular vet says he rounded the teeth too much and he doesn't have the proper surface area to chew. There is no correction except the normal wear down of the teeth. So my advise get references on the equine dentist that you use or use your regular vet. Most regular vets use a simple file and this condition doesn't happen. Sorry for the lengthy story, but it's important.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-04-06 12:03 AM (#132659 - in reply to #132371)

Expert

Originally written by GRNMCHNEDAZE on 2011-03-30 12:39 PM

These were my thoughts exactly, but this is the type of person that when they have their minds set, there's no changing it.

Thanks for the good luck words. I'm still tossing it around. I am nearing completion of my Bachelors Degree in Business Admin, but hate sitting behind a desk. I have a huge interest in Equine Dentistry and natural hoof trimming. Life's just too short to do something you hate.

Make sure you learn to do sedation...because some horses will NOT stand for floating...
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-06 5:23 AM (#132661 - in reply to #132367)

Extreme Veteran

You can't administer it in Ohio without a DVM, according to my dentist.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)