'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
flex tree saddle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-06 3:45 PM
3 replies, 6857 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2011-02-26 11:01 AM (#130821)
Subject: flex tree saddle

Regular

Hi
I'm considering purchasing a saddle with a flex tree. This is a Big Horn brand saddle and I don't know what manufacturer they use for the tree. I have read that there is a difference in the types of flex trees and I have read opinions both ways on the value of a flex tree. Some say the flex tree is more comfortable for the horse and some have the other opinion, that it is worse because it doesn't distribute the riders weight over the whole back area. The saddle I'm looking at would be for pleasure riding, up to 20 miles in a day. I'd appreciate input about good or bad experiences with flex trees.
Thanks
Joan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2011-02-26 1:02 PM (#130827 - in reply to #130821)
Subject: RE: flex tree saddle

Regular

I was told by a dealer that the flex trees would bend and break over time especially if a rider was heavy.  I wouldn't have one.  Its just another gimmic to sell saddles,  New and Improved, they say. 
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-02-27 9:51 AM (#130849 - in reply to #130821)

Extreme Veteran

Quality flex tree saddles are all HYPE, ie, the makers of quality flex tree saddles the use a good tree such as the Steel tree, are so rigid they might as well be a rigid tree saddle.

The two biggest items you must keep in mind when looking for good saddle fit are: one, a horse's back will change shape when you start moving, walk, rack, trot, canter, whatever AND two, all horses backs are not symetrical. Consequently two things are needed for proper fit all of the time. One, is a saddle that will accomodate the changing shape of the back when the horses is not at rest, and TWO, there has to be something to take care of the non-symetrical and irregular conditions. The Flex Panel does the first and the SaddleRight (or it's equivalent) does the second. Current flex tree saddles will not do this. All of them are too stif to do any flexing, or they are too soft, and flex too much causing sore backs. I had a lengthy converastion with Steele Saddle Tree about this subject and came away from the conversation convinced the only reason they are building the "flex tree" is marketing hype, ie, that's what sells, so build it, but build it stiff enough that it might as well be a rigid tree.
skylermom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2011-03-06 3:45 PM (#131272 - in reply to #130821)

Regular

I have not had good experiences with flex trees in the past.  A rigid tree is meant to distribute your weight over a large area, a flex tree gives under a riders weight.  However, I've been told by a reputable saddle maker that if you are 100 lbs or less - do whatever you want!  But, I definitely don't fit in that category.  And if you are riding 20 miles a day, I would vote for a rigid tree no matter what.

My 2 cents worth.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)