'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Black Hills Vacation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-31 10:50 AM
3 replies, 3306 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2011-01-29 1:21 PM (#129472)
Subject: Black Hills Vacation

Regular

Hi
Beginning to look forward to the next riding season. We will be taking a trip to ride in the Black Hills this July and we plan on riding up Harney Peak. We will be going in the hot part of the summer, anyone have any information on the difficulty of this ride and if there are any streams for horse water? I know there are two routes available to reach the top, we will probably have to use the trail that leaves from Willow Creek.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Joan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
traxarlo
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-01-30 10:46 AM (#129503 - in reply to #129472)
Subject: RE: Black Hills Vacation

Hi, I live just outside of Rapid City and ride all over the Black Hills.

If you want some information about riding here, feel free to send me a private message with your phone number or email address. There is just too much information for posting, I would be happy to share information with you. We love it here and have some the best riding around.

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-30 5:33 PM (#129519 - in reply to #129472)

Veteran

Hi Joan, I stayed at Iron Creek horse camp in 09 and road up to Harney Peak.  It was the first time I had done any riding like that.   We took the Grisley trail down.  There was one rather challenging creek rocky crossing that I remember on the way up but we did not cross that taking grisley down.  suggest you have a crouper and a breast strap, even the best fitting saddle may move on that trail in the heat.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-01-31 10:50 AM (#129555 - in reply to #129472)

Extreme Veteran

I rode to Harney Peak from Willow Creek Campground last July. We took the Willow Creek Trail (8) to the Harney Peak Trail (9). There is no water on the Harney Peak Trail, but it is not a particularly long ride, either. After reaching Harney Peak, we continued south to loop back on the Lost Cabin trail (2). There is water in a few places along that trail, but it is a much longer route. I think the total mileage of that route was something like 21 miles. Personally, I did not think this ride was difficult at all. There were no extremely steep or exposed sections of trail. There are long uphill grades, which could be considered "strenuous", but I wouldn't consider it difficult.

The ride from Willow Creek to Mount Rushmore was much more difficult in my mind, and even that did not have any prolonged steepness or exposure. The difficulty was at sections of stair-steps, switchbacks, and stepping between boulders.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)