'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Speed Gaited Horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-17 6:20 PM
5 replies, 4445 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-14 7:39 PM (#128917)
Subject: Speed Gaited Horses

Veteran

Do any of you know any speed Gaited horse racers or trainers?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-14 8:33 PM (#128919 - in reply to #128917)
Subject: RE: Speed Gaited Horses

Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufpLgJ2qzQI&feature=fvw
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2011-01-14 9:31 PM (#128921 - in reply to #128919)

Veteran

Here's a place in Indiana

http://www.rackmupstables.com/

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-16 5:54 PM (#128963 - in reply to #128921)
Subject: Caution, Caution

Extreme Veteran

Most gaited horse trainers do NOT have a clue how to properly train a speed racker without ruining them. Do it yourself.

Just a few basic concepts. One, never ever, let one get rough. If they get rough, first try speeding them up to smooth it out. If that doesn't work, stop and start again. Don't just slow them down. That rewards them for getting rough, and they'll do it worse.

For ever fast mile they must travel 10 slow gaited miles.(slow rack)

When asking for speed, ask for just a very little bit at a time. Hold the fast, smooth, gait until they want to slow down. When they want to slow down, speed them up just a bit and hold that faster gait for just a few seconds, then stop and walk, rest, or slow gait.

That's speed racking 101. Most any competent rider can do it. It just takes patience, lots of patience. If you don't feel confident about doing it yourself, you sure don't belong on a speed racker.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2011-01-16 5:56 PM
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-16 10:47 PM (#128973 - in reply to #128917)

Veteran

Thanks, nother question, I have a comming 4 year old I have spent the past year light riding just walking him, this spring I am going to start asking for gait so if he gets bumpy and I push for speed, how long and how much rough do you put up with ?  how do you know if a horse just isn't going to be able to do it? I looked at tons of speed horse videos and breeding sights and none of them put down the blood lines of their horses?   my mare a TWHBEA and a half sister to a SSHBEA WGC   is bred very well but is pacy, I was told her full brother was a winning racking horse in TN. But we all know what they do to show horses to make them gait. She can be smooth but like you said "don't slow them down"  well being my first gaited horse  that is what I did with her 9 years ago, It seemed when I pushed for speed she got pacy/ruff so I pulled her in. The last few years I have ridden her alot but 95%at the walk not on footing suitable for gaiting. She used to be very calm but is starting to get stupid in large groups, she just wants to be in the lead. This fall on a big ride I wasn't in the mood to fight so I just let her go she did the most perfect smooth smooth single foot medium speed gait  finally after about 6 / 7 miles she walked on a loose rein then we hit the lunch break spot I took a 45 minute rest when we set out again so smooth she quick stepped the last 7 miles all the way back and didn't want to slow down. she will be 13 this spring.    If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have gone for "SHOW" lines and blue papers. But they are both good level headed horses and I am stuck with them. Any other tips (not involving pain) can you give me. 
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-17 6:20 PM (#128990 - in reply to #128973)

Extreme Veteran

"TWHBEA and a half sister to a SSHBEA WGC is bred very well but is pacy

Horses bred like this are seldom good racking horses(and definitely not good speed racker canidates).

These horses are usually better running walk horses. Not to say they can't be made to rack, but their signature gait is usually a running walk. Teaching the running walk is exactly opposite of the rack. Remember in the running walk the rear foot on the same side, leaves the ground before the front foot; in the rack, the front foot leaves the ground before the hind foot in the same side. Different ends of the gaited spectrum.

In a running walk horse, you can walk, walk, and walk a little faster into the running walk. That doesn't work with the rack.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)