'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Gaited horse saddles

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-11 8:42 PM
28 replies, 22016 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2011-01-09 8:15 AM (#128693)
Subject: Gaited horse saddles

Regular

Hi
I have a narrow, A shaped foxtrotter and I am having trouble fitting a saddle to him, even the semi quarter horse saddles seem to wide. I've been shopping the gaited horse saddles but these will say they have a wide gaited tree and most have 7" gullets. Anyone have input on fit with gaited saddles?
Aren't most gaited horses on the narrower side? This doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
apricotbend
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-01-09 10:20 AM (#128695 - in reply to #128693)
Subject: RE: Gaited horse saddles

Regular

Try the Specialized Saddle brand. Those can be adjusted to fit
your horse. And in a few years when your horse's back changes the
Specialized Saddle can be refit.

Gaited horses come in a huge range of back sizes. My 1350 pound Walker
has a back like a 55 gallon drum.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-09 10:39 AM (#128696 - in reply to #128693)

Expert

Ah, Saddle fit. The eternal question.

I agree, Gaited horses just like any other breed come in a wide range of sizes.  The one difference is that they usually need a little more shoulder room under the front of the saddle than the trotting breeds.  I had one foxtrotter that always got sore on his loins and I tried many a different saddle and had many a saddle fitter look at his saddle fit and say he was fine, But after a hard 25 mile ride he would show tender loins. I finally gave up on trying to find a saddle and sold the horse.  The person who bought him, doesn't ride as far or as long in the saddle and has never had any problems.

In general, most of my saddles are built on semi bars and most of my foxtrotters do just fine with them. I do have a specilized saddle, A friend who rides with me often and has a wire implant in his back after breaking it in 5 places, likes to use it, because it has a lower cantle than my other saddles. The lower cantle didn't hit his battery pack for the implant that he wears on his belt. But the foxtrotter mare that he rode, doesn't like that saddle, she throws her head a lot while climbing steep ground with that saddle on. I haven't taken the time to see if it's the rider or the saddle that makes her uncomfortable when climbing a mountain. We change the saddle out and the problem goes away. With his stiff back, it may be the way he sits that saddle while on a grade.

You can spend a lot of money swapping thru various saddles hoping for a proper fit. My suggestion is to take the horse to a competitant saddle maker and get a saddle built that fits.  But just like my old gray foxtrotter, Even if many folks say the fit is perfect, he may still get sore.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-01-09 11:53 AM (#128700 - in reply to #128693)

Expert

Most Tucker saddles are more narrow than the average saddle tree,even Tucker's "wide" tree.You might want to call and ask to speak to a Tucker representative in your area or check with your nearest Tucker dealer to see if it is possible to meet with the rep.That is what a friend of mine did in an eternal search for a saddle that would fit her foxtrotters.(We have the opposite problem with our foxtrotters,most semi-QH or medium Tucker saddles do not fit,they are too narrow.)I guess we must be the exception: our horses are built more like the stock lines from the old bloodlines of the MFT.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2011-01-09 11:55 AM
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-01-09 1:51 PM (#128703 - in reply to #128693)

Elite Veteran

I agree with Ridgegirl about consulting the Tucker Rep... I have a Tucker "Oldtimer" with a medium tree that is perfect on my MFT mare who has some wither and is about 16.1HH, however, I cannot use this saddle on my cutting horse (AQHA) he is too wide.... I also found an endurance saddle in a foreign market that did not cost alot and fits better than many others. In fact, it is the most comfortable riding saddle for long trails (10-30 miles). Get one that fits your horse, and you. I have a tack room of "shame" because I kept buying until, by process of elimination, I found saddles that fit well.....
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-09 2:50 PM (#128705 - in reply to #128693)

Elite Veteran

I am not a gaited horse "professional" but what about an arab tree saddle? The bar flare is different than a wide tree saddle.

Yes, Tuckers do run a little on the narrow side.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-01-09 5:04 PM (#128710 - in reply to #128693)

Extreme Veteran

The two biggest items you must keep in mind is that a horse's back will change shape when you start moving, walk, rack, RW, whatever AND, all horses backs are not symetrical. Consequently two things are needed for proper fit all of the time. One, is a saddle that will accomodate the changing shape of the back when the horses is not at rest, and TWO, there has to be something to take care of the non-symetrical and irregular conditions. The Flex Panel does the first and the SaddleRight (or it's equivalent) does the second. Current flex tree saddles will not do this. All of them are too stif to do any flexing, or they are too soft, and flex too much causing sore backs. I had a lengthy converastion with Steele Saddle Tree about this subject and came away from the conversation convinced the only reason they are building the "flex tree" is marketing hype, ie, that's what sells, so build it, but build it stiff enough that it might as well be a rigid tree.

If your horse is of normal build and you purchase a normal RL Watson, flex panel saddle it will fit a large percentage of horses. If you want to play the safe side, send Richard(owner of RL Watson saddles) a picture of your horse's back. He can tell you if any changes from standard would be required.

Saddle fit is an art not a science. Here is some food for thought: Nearly all horses will not get sore with a poorly, fitted, non giving, saddle if they are not ridden very much, or very long. Most riders are weekenders that might ride 3 or 4 hours one or two days per weekend, and most of their riding will be done at a walk. This is what saves many a horse from sore backs. Even the trainers that ride for maybe an hour a day for 5 days per week avoid soring because they are not riding long enough to cause soring.
Then we must ask, how do the endurance riders avoid soring? If you'll notice all most all saddles for endurance and/or racing have short trees and light riders. A short tree avoids bridging and/or non contact with the tree in the rear and front of the saddle. Even though short trees place more weight per sq. inch on the horses back, if the rider is light and the tree is short, then the contact is more uniform.

If your truly going to ride your horse and use a pleasure saddle of one style or another a rigid tree is not very likely to work an any of them. This is especially true with gaited horses. I didn't believe that for a long time. But the more you watch the gaited horses and study the motions of the back, the more evident it becomes. Why do you think so many clinicians preach, walk, walk, walk? It is not to condition the horse, it is to prevent soring. Now put that in your pipe and see how it smokes, more food for thought.

The other item that is very common is the back motions of a horse with good, high, whithers. They will normally have more back motion when they are gaiting than a mutton backed horse or one with average whithers.

Fitting horses with high whithers requires a saddle made specifically for these horses. Richard and I went thru this the hard way many years ago. The current vintage tree from Watson allows for the placement of the panels to fit these horses. If you have one of these horses I'd highly suggest you send Richard pictures of your horses then call Richard and talk with him about fitting your horse. Richard still makes saddles with the old style tree for dealers that ask for it. You don't know which one your getting unless you talk to Richard directly.

Now the good part. If you have a saddle made to fit one of these horses it will also fit a broad variety of other backs. The big limitation is that a Watson saddle that fits the high whithered horse will not normally fit a broad, backed, mutton whithered horse.

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-01-10 10:32 AM (#128732 - in reply to #128693)

Extreme Veteran

Have you considered Australian saddles? My family all has exclusively gaited horses and we (Dad, wife, in laws, etc.) all trail ride in Aussie's. Never had a soring problem and we ride lots of miles. They are comfortable for you, too.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-01-10 12:26 PM (#128740 - in reply to #128693)

Elite Veteran

To solve my gaited horse fit problems with growing horses or to be able to ride my seasoned QH and Arab in the same saddle, I choose a flex-panel saddle. There are many manaufactures out there with a flex-panel saddle in a variety of models. Flex-panel is very different than a flex-tree. I own a RL Watson Continential, but have also ridden in a Timberline Continential and Lawman.

The fit is very good for me and the horse and it corrected a resistant MFT horse to be able to running walk smoothly without saddle fit pain. Here are some links for you to review. I've owned my RL Watson for 3 years and have used in extensively on my MFT mare for close to 1000 miles. No sore backs or white hairs.

WHile no saddle maker can claim to fit every horse including the tree-less saddles, the flex-panel saddle fits a wide variety of horses and mules compared to a regular tree saddle or flex-tree saddle. I have had several trail riders I met at horse camps purchase their own flex-panel saddle after riding in mine. One rider solved a bucking horse going down hills and other cured a horse that was unwilling to running walk - it paced.

Here are some links for you to review. I have dealt with both companies are they are very knowledgeable.

http://www.rlwatsonsaddles.com/index.html

http://www.4asaddle.com/

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-01-10 4:35 PM (#128756 - in reply to #128693)

Extreme Veteran

I custom ordered a Circle Y for my gaited horse taht did not fit. I called Circle Y and they said the Tucker would not work either. After several saddles I finally bought a STEELE that has fit all of my gaited horses and comfy too.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-01-10 11:48 PM (#128774 - in reply to #128693)

Painted Horse: Your friend might benefit from a field trial saddle. I was having more and more back and neck pain from riding so I had to do something. I went back to a Jack Haggis trooper saddle. The suspended seat helped my back and neck which helped me all over. Since I am less stiff, my horses are less stiff. So far I have used my Haggis with my chunky coming 18 year old TWH gelding and my 3 year old TWH filly. I am a big fan of the Jack Haggis saddle.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-01-10 11:57 PM (#128775 - in reply to #128693)

www.haggissaddles.com

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-11 7:31 AM (#128782 - in reply to #128693)

Expert

Thanks Rose,

His problem is the battery pack that he wears on his belt.  The high back western cantles hit that battery on steep down hill grades.  So most saddles with a smaller cantle work just fine for him. It just happens to be, that I like the look of high back cantles and thats whats in my tack room.

As a result of breaking his back in 5 places when a horse went over a cliff with him, they inserted a wire up his spine. When he feels pain, he can turn on the wire and it creates a stimulus  ( tingling like your arm going to sleep) apparently the brain can only recieve one signal at time from a nerve area. So the tingling over rides the pain signal. So he can do physical activities with out the pain he lived with for 5 years. It's made a new man out of him to have the wire. But we just have to make sure he rides saddles with small cantles like roping or penning saddles and not my high backed trail saddles.

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2011-01-11 8:23 AM (#128787 - in reply to #128693)

Regular

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your responses to my saddle fit problem. I do have an aussy saddle but it will cause sore loins on long multiple day rides. I will look into the Specialized, Tucker and Watson saddles. What about the fit on barrel saddles? I know that the fit will be different with various brands, but do the bars flare in the front on a barrel tree?
Thanks again
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-01-11 11:00 AM (#128791 - in reply to #128693)

Elite Veteran

You might also look up Ely Miller saddles. I don't have personal experience with them, but several credible people I know use them.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-11 1:24 PM (#128797 - in reply to #128693)

Veteran

Saddles are like shoes...you just have to try them on.  It can be very frusterating good luck.  In my expierence off the shelf barrel saddles are basickly the same tree but less skirting.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2011-01-11 1:50 PM (#128798 - in reply to #128693)

Elite Veteran

Repeat after me....a gaited horse does NOT need a gaited horse saddle.

I would suggest that you contact a saddle fitter in your area to help you find which saddles will fit your horse and work for your body as well.

I use a Reactor Panel endurance saddle on my Icelandic Horse. I like the fact that the flex panels can be adjusted for his back.

Good luck in your saddle search....took me almost 2 years to find a saddle for Huginn.

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-01-11 6:08 PM (#128805 - in reply to #128693)

Extreme Veteran

Let me preface my response by saying that I know NOTHING about gaited horses. I did, however, go through saddle fitting heck with my appaloosa. I tried a Bob Marshall treeless and was HOOKED. I ordered one and I love it. I am an avid trail rider and spend many many hours in the saddle. This is the first saddle that my appy moved out under with ease. It works great for both of us. Very comfortable for me and no soreness issues for him. The treeless saddles are not for everyone but I and my horse absolutely LOVE ours.
badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2011-01-14 10:05 AM (#128895 - in reply to #128693)

Regular

Treeless saddles might work for smaller lighter riders but I think not for larger heavier riders.  For one thing the saddle would probably slip with someone weight say 200 lbs.  As for the flex panel saddles, they are different than the flex trees.  I have an Ortho Flex aussie saddle and it works real well, only problem is its now too little for me and I am going to sell it.  Anyone know anyone that needs one let me know.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-01-14 12:10 PM (#128901 - in reply to #128693)

Extreme Veteran

I am going to be unpopular :{ and agree with IcePony. I grew up on gaited horses but have ridden stock hores, mostly running bred since I was a teen. I trained horses for the public for 25 years and rode a huge variety of breeds. I am afraid that I think this "gaited horse saddle" with "flaired front so the shoulders can move" is a sales gimmick. Why would a gaited horse have more shoulder movement than a trotting horse in an extended trot? Specially one with a big long sloping shoulder? Saddle fit has alot to do with rock and bar angle. Shoulder movement has to do with individual horses and their conformation. All horses have shoulder movement and the saddle should sit right behind the scapula so it can move, in all breeds. If your saddle is moving back or forward then its the bar angle and/or rock that is not fitting the horse. A "gaited" saddle doesnt magically fit all gaited horses just like an Arabian doesnt magically fit all Arabs and so forth and so on. I also think many times saddle fit is altered and no longer works due to the rider putting a thick pad under the saddle. And the saddle making industry has no set standard as to what width/angle the different names such as semi and full bars mean.
sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2011-01-15 5:59 AM (#128924 - in reply to #128901)

Veteran

You might want to check out the Imus 4-Beat Saddle sold by National Bridle Shop.  They have been designed by Brenda Imus who has spent her life dedicated to the comfort and training of the gaited horse.  These saddles have top of the line leather, Supracor padding installed under fllexible tree bars  and over a web suspened leather ground seat to assure both horse and rider comfort and freedom of motion.  It has been proved that many gaited horses and non gaited as well change their whole attitude when the saddle fits just right.  You can order from www.NationalBridle.com  and have a two week trial period to send the saddle back.  You owe it to your horse and yourself to check out the web site at www.gaitsofgold.com for more information on these outstanding saddles.  They will help you fit the right one for your horse.  I use one and spend 5-6 hours on the trail with no problems for me or my horse.
apricotbend
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-01-15 11:26 AM (#128936 - in reply to #128693)

Regular

JJ Maxwell will send you 10 "naked" fiber glass trees. You can put each
one on your horse and then pick which one fits best. Then they will
make a saddle for you using the tree that fits best. They make a wide
variety of styles of saddles. Look them up at www.jjmaxwell.com.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-01-15 6:20 PM (#128939 - in reply to #128693)

Expert

Try Timberline saddles, they will really work with you with outstanding customer service.  A friend of mine works for them, and I can send you that contact info if you like...........and no, I will not get any favors for doing this, cept maybe some biscuits and gravy at a trail ride!

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-01-16 12:49 AM (#128948 - in reply to #128693)

Elite Veteran

I have a little 14.1 hand rocky mare whose back is shaped...literally... like a barrel. I use a Bates Caprilli all-purpose saddle with the adjustable gullet and cair panels. Cair panels are tubes of air that go in place of the normal wool or foam padding underneath. They adjust constantly, so there are no pressure points. The seat is very deep, secure and comfortable and it has become my favorite trail saddle. Before that I used an aussie saddle. She would pin her ears and actually began to nip while being saddled bfore the light went on in my head and I figured out what the problem was.. Now she is easy to saddle and you can tell that she is comfortable when being ridden. I bought mine used on e-bay, and it is one of the best horse-related purchases that I have made.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-01-19 1:25 AM (#129029 - in reply to #128693)

Elite Veteran

Lazy M,

Have you tried the Crates Endurance saddle? I just bought a nice used one that is the "gaited endurance tree". LOVE LOVE this saddle. sooo comfy. I too had a hard time finding a saddle that did not sore my mare. Also a good one to try would be Tuckers Field Trial saddle. Forgot the name of the saddle. Shoot. Brain fart! Anyways, Valley Vet sells them and with free shipping too. I tried a friends Brenda Imus saddle and I really liked it until  day 3 my back hurt bad. Did the same thing to a friend of mine that tried the saddle out too. So, if you can, ride the saddle for at least 3 days in a row, and you will know if that saddle is for you and your horse. I have tried just about every saddle out there. Used is the way to go because you can try it out. Custom made was the worst thing I got caught up in, 3 times I got screwed on those deals. No returns on a custom made saddle. Plus, one saddle maker made me wait 3 months for my new saddle and he sent me wrong saddle and then made me pay a "re-stocking fee" on it when I sent it back! Then it took him 3 more months to credit my card! This is a reputable flex panel saddle maker too!! So, beware- The name was mentioned by another poster before me.

I found the best thing was to try out friends saddles or anyone else that would allow me to try out for a couple of days. If you don't mind a synthetic saddle, Abetta makes an awesome and comfortable saddle. Made in the USA too. They now have memory foam seats if you so choose. $385-

I used to do endurance riding and now I do "long distance trail riding" and horse-camping. So, have "been there and tried that". Good Luck and Happy Trails!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)