'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Have to Share about Horse Training

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-03 11:08 PM
9 replies, 4891 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-01-02 2:26 AM (#128430)
Subject: Have to Share about Horse Training

Veteran

I was riding with friends today, a lovely NY Day ride, and thinking about how many people I know who work themselves over for not being better riders or trainers with their horses.  The 8 yr old arab/app gelding I was riding has only about one month (not recent) riding training in all his life, and I got him in about three months ago from his birth farm.  I want you folks to lighten up on yourselves a little bit!  Some horses just make it easy and some absolutely don't.  I have ridden the entire range of them.  I forgot the bit attachment for my trail bridle, so ended up riding (walk/trot/canter, traffic, water, obstacles, deer,  cross country in group setting) with essentially a halter.  This is his fifth trail ride.  He was perfect.  You know - it sometimes pays to put the problem in perspective - some horses just make life easy.

Happy Trails -- Eleanor

www.valscorral.4t.com

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-01-02 4:39 PM (#128448 - in reply to #128430)
Subject: RE: Have to Share about Horse Training

Expert

So true..some horses are just plain easier than others. Some are compliant,some are defiant,some are willing to learn,some are just too smart. Then there are horses that the trainer/rider simply gets along with and those who just aren't a match. There are situations where people make it tough-If you are pretty green as far as training/riding don't make it harder on yourself and buy a project ( such as un-broke mustang or severely abused horse) Don' think reading a training book or watching a clinic is going to make you a trainer..it takes time to learn to read a horse, learn its psycology. Set yourself for success-find a horse that you can safely ride and learn on,find a mentor/trainer to take lessons with.Go ahead to read the books,attend clinics and get experience before you tackle the big boys but understand training does take some experience and knowledge.
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-01-02 7:02 PM (#128451 - in reply to #128430)

Veteran

Gee, sounds a lot like people.  Lots of different personalities only horses don't have words to communicate; however, we have all known people that can't even communicate with the use of words.  Happy trails to all of you--even if your horse isn't as compliant as your friends'.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-01-02 9:51 PM (#128458 - in reply to #128448)

Veteran

Not much written about simply picking the right horse to match a rider's personality.  Much more money in trying to train the horse to suit.  I spend so much energy matching the right personality to the horse, which is why I get so many good reference.  People think I only have good horse. That's just not so.  I won't show them a horse that isn't good - for them...
bigfoot
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2011-01-03 8:10 PM (#128493 - in reply to #128430)

Regular

I have always said that a 5-7 year old good finished horse, that is the right size, color, and rides the best is cheap at almost any price compared to starting a colt.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-01-03 8:15 PM (#128495 - in reply to #128493)

Veteran

You sure are right about that.  Spend your timing shopping and your money buying.  Its a whole lot better than breeding/raising/training!

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2011-01-03 8:51 PM (#128496 - in reply to #128430)

Extreme Veteran

I once had an appaloosa gelding that just plain hated doing anything but eating. He had to be forced to do everything, which is a royal pain in the caboose. In frustration, I finally gave him to a local rancher just to get him the heck out of my barn. Turned out that that miserable devil LOVED chasing cows! The rancher was happy, the horse was happy, and I got a horse who LOVED the trails. Who would have guessed?

Marla
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-01-03 9:46 PM (#128499 - in reply to #128496)

Veteran

I had a racing off the track arab once who would bolt at the drop of a hat unless you were very on top of him.  Well, he was sold to a world champion endurance rider, and he got to run ALL HE WANTED from then on.  Good for everybody ~~  12

That's a good story! Thanks for sharing; especially the happy ending.

ILtrailrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2011-01-03 10:37 PM (#128502 - in reply to #128430)

How right you all are that replied to this post...So I had to share my story as well....I had a three-quarter arab mare, that yes I bred, raised, trained and showed at halter for many years...Well, when it came time to start her under saddle, off to the trainer she went for western pleasure training....When I went to the trainer's to ride her, you could just tell she wasn't happen with being ridden in a arena...So when I got her home I took her to the local state park to do some trail riding with my older sister....That mare took to the trails like she had been doing it all her life...She dropped her head like a aqha western pleasure horse and plodded along....Never took her in another arena again...She turned out to be one of the best trail horses I have ever owned....Unfortunately I had to put her down in "08" cuz of complications to laminitis...
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2011-01-03 11:08 PM (#128504 - in reply to #128430)

Veteran

Hey, so sorry to hear that.  But what a nice story to share.  The moral would seem to be to try the horse on different things til you see what clicks.  "For every shoe there is a box..."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)