'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
GPS revisited

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-02 7:23 PM
7 replies, 5278 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-12-16 11:10 AM (#128075)
Subject: GPS revisited

Expert

A while back I asked about what GPS unit to buy for my wife. Several Garman products were suggested. I ended up purchasing an "Oregon" 450T. This was chosen for its large touch screen, ample memory, many features and it was preloaded with a topo map of the US. I didn't choose the 550 because we don't need the photo feature.

My question is: Is this map detailed enough to show the various riding trails around the country? Will my wife be able to use it as is for trail riding? Or will I have to purchase other, more detailed maps? Are they available and from what sources? Supposedly this GPS can accept computer downloads as well as preloaded programs with micro chip memory. Is this difficult to do?

Sorry for all the these questions. I'm computer and GPS illiterate. Having some basic knowledge before my wife gets this for Xmas, should help me better explain its functions. In the reviews I read about this unit, it was noted that the supplied instruction booklet is lacking in details and how to use its available features. My wife will be the primary user of this GPS while trail riding in several states. I would like her learning curve and access to information to be as easy and efficient as possible.

Any comments? Thank you for any ideas you can offer.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sundancer's Sidekick
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2010-12-18 1:14 AM (#128160 - in reply to #128075)
Subject: RE: GPS revisited

"Is this map detailed enough to show the various riding trails around the country?"

Probably not. The preloaded map Topo US 100k is comparable to those found in an Atlas. The Garmin Topo 24k Series is available in regional sets and is more detailed similar to a USGS Quad. Also, ridiculously expensive to get full US coverage. US TrailMaps, Equestrian is an easy and inexpensive option with somewhat limited coverage and unknown detail.

Creating Garmin Custom Maps allows you to load raster map images (i.e. images of REAL USGS Quads) but requires a reasonable amount of computer savy. To get the best results some GIS software and skill are handy.

Perhaps the best and easiest  route for beginning is to stay with the preloaded Topo US 100k and load trails / tracks as needed to the sd card in the vector format (.GPX files). These will display on top with the preloaded Topo map showing under. Sources of desired trails will require searching the Web, most trail data in the west is available from the USFS in various formats (most requiring GIS software to convert to GPX ) .

There is a learning curve to GPS, but once your wife records her own track of the trail she just rode and displays it in BaseCamp or Google Earth she (and you) are likely to be hooked.
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-12-19 10:46 PM (#128199 - in reply to #128075)

Extreme Veteran

I have a friend using that very model for endurance riding, I will forward your question to her, and see what she thinks..She has done 1000's of miles with it
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-12-19 10:55 PM (#128201 - in reply to #128075)

Extreme Veteran

Well, this was quick, and not sure if it will help or not. She said:

It already has the topo maps they'll need and it's easy to zoom in and out to see where you are. If you go to Garmin Connect you can sign up and download any tracks from rides and view on a map. You can also create routes ahead of time and put onto the GPS.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-12-20 5:31 PM (#128217 - in reply to #128075)

Expert

I found it easy to use "out of the box" and also easy to use with the laptop.  Garmin Basecamp is free from them, and does well, and also Garmin's MapSource program works really well, if you are just getting going with GPS they are really fine,  she and you will enjoy this!  The topo info is detailed enough for the recreational riding work, I feel....
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-12-22 9:17 AM (#128259 - in reply to #128075)

Expert

Sundancer's Sidekick, Trot On and Flying Farm, I greatly appreciate your responses. Because much of what you replied is above my pay grade, I'm going to print out your threads and give them to my wife with her GPS for Xmas. She and my daughter work with computers all day long, and will have a greater knowledge of how your suggestions can enhance the ownership of her navigation aid. They will be using the unit while trail riding, hopefully in new surroundings, with new experiences, and better navigational information.

Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us with your knowledge.

May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings,
slow to make enemies, quick to make friends.
And may you know nothing but happiness.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-12-23 12:04 PM (#128271 - in reply to #128075)

Elite Veteran

Gard, I have a Garmin Legend that is a hundred years old and still works... my husband has a Lowrance  with a big screen/color/etc... it is wonderful. Really wonderful. We have it in the truck and on his saddle... it has never let us down. It also has a NOAA weather warning alert on it... it cost about $200. at Bass Pro Shop. It is so nice to venture out of your comfort zone and be able to get back to camp.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-01-02 7:23 PM (#128453 - in reply to #128075)

Expert

out of the box they are "24K" topo maps, whose scale of 1:24000 (1 inch = 2000 feet)...if you need more detail, then prepare to pay...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)