'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
speed racking horse

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-11-24 7:07 PM
35 replies, 30070 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-06-26 4:06 PM (#121560)
Subject: speed racking horse

Extreme Veteran

any for sale in the VA/NC area?  thanks,  Anita

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-07-02 10:47 PM (#121850 - in reply to #121560)
Subject: RE: speed racking horse

gees, I have been watching this thread and can't believe no replies.  I know you have done a lot of searching, suggest you also search singlefoot in addition to racking, standardbred and so on.  Anyway, maybe this reply will generate some more replies.
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-07-04 10:40 AM (#121869 - in reply to #121560)

Regular

You didn't say if you want one for just ridin' or for racin' but here's one to get you started

http://www.horsetopia.com/for-sale/classifieds/ad447860

youtube is a good place to check, too.

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-07-04 12:23 PM (#121875 - in reply to #121560)

Extreme Veteran

no, I'm  not interested in racing but I do love to go fast down the trail.  I'm used to my arabians who always seem to have a hidden adjenda..  as in "I can run like the wind but never forget  I can spook and spin any second and will be happy to  dump you off" well, my 23 yr endur. horse  old has finally calmed down somewhat- rode him today about 2 hrs in a halter and he was fine.  I just like the idea of a gaited horse who has that much speed and love their dispositions. 

unfortunately have to convince hubby that we need another horse... brought up the subject last nite and it didn't go over very well. 

shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-07-04 1:12 PM (#121878 - in reply to #121560)

Regular

Show him some youtube videos. I don't know how anyone can watch those speed rackers and not want one of their own LOL.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-07-04 6:03 PM (#121887 - in reply to #121560)

Elite Veteran

I have a 7 year old Standardbred mare off the track that racks real smooth. I need to work more on her gait to get it faster. ( no-she not for sale) just letting you know- the Standardbred is a real nice breed. Not spooky, extremely athletic too. Can go all day long for you. Find one that has been lightly raced. My two were pacers and not trotters on the track. Real easy to start under saddle straight from the track. Just make sure you get one with good feet. Most of 'em are level headed and learn real quick.Load easily in and out of a trailer. I horse-camp with mine and ride them every-where.You can get them for about $500- here in Cali or even free.
Let us know what you end up getting....( husband permitting and all! )
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-07-04 6:13 PM (#121889 - in reply to #121560)

Elite Veteran

I re-read your post and it looks as though you don't have experience with gaited horses? Right? Just make sure you get one that gaits easily already then. (Or take a lot of lessons from a GAITED TRAINER. ) There are a lot of people out here that got a "gaited" horse for the first time and can't get 'em to gait properly. Then, they try and send the horse to a trainer that knows nothing of gaited horses! We don't have a lot of gaited horse trainers my way either.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-07-05 5:59 AM (#121901 - in reply to #121560)

Extreme Veteran

You're right-  I don't have much experience with gaited horses, but I'm very willing to learn!

I've been around horses for years.   back in the 70's I quit collage to bum around the country working with horses.    worked at a saddlebred show stable and  got to ride some of the 5 gaited horses,  the poor things were so jacked up all the time....went from there to a morgan show barn, to arabians,   to a couple 3rd rate race training stables - TB's and standardbreds,  and even spent some time in England riding chasers and fox hunters.  finally (to my parent's relief) put myself back thru collage, settled down and rode endurance (AERC 7039) for a long time... had a blast!    now we're doing dressage, which is great fun too. 

A little over a  yr. ago I bought a 5 yr old non gaited TWH for my husband, thinking he'd get interested in riding.  well, that didn't work out.   typical, huh?    I had no interest in riding  this mare but he likes her (as a pet) so she hung around eating.  I got tired of seeing her do nothing, started riding her...  it suprised me but a couple times she stumbled into  something that felt like a rack.  the folks we got her from said she NEVER gaited.   I asked a lot of questions, got help from people on this forum- esp. Rose,  and my friends around here who ride gaited horses.   the more I ride her the better she does and now she gaits all the time.    she is getting faster but she's built like a tank and don't think she has it in her to be my future speed racking horse.  

I didn't realized there were so many gaited Standardbreds.   how exactly do you get them from a pace to a 4 beat gait?   do the pacers make better racking horses than the trotters?   once they start gaiting good do they always need shoes?  I've seen youtube videos of people riding pacing horses... these horses are flying down the rode and the riders just sit there.    stupid question but  are there different types of pace?   or is it a very subtle 4 beat gait that just looks like a 2 beat pace?    I rode one once and he was very fast but not a comfortable ride at all.   most folks in this area have TWH and fox trotters and don't know anything about Standardbreds.    havn't found any reputable trainers but need to keep looking.    sounds like in the western part of the state there are a lot of gaited ones, and going for  crazy cheap too.  

Edited by acy 2010-07-05 6:02 AM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-07-05 8:22 AM (#121905 - in reply to #121560)

Wow, what an interesting life you have led within the horse world.  And what a wonderful experience to observe the various breeds and disciplines.  I am envious as I only came to horses and country life kinda late in life.

If the gait is not hard wired into the horse's brain then it will not gait no matter what is done to it.  The trotters have to be taught to "swing" then re squared into a running walk or saddle gait;  so the short answer is the pacers are usually easier to square up into a gait.  TWH were developed by crossing pacers with trotters (more complicated than that) in order to get the innate hardwiring into the horse, then training the horse to enhance what is naturally there.  In other words, to "set" the gait in the brain and muscle memory of the horse.  So with Saphie the reason she is doing so much better is that you have insisted that she perform her gait.  Most horses prefer to do a gait that is easy, hence twh who only trot or pace.  Collection and consistency "set" the gait.  And of course the amount of collection/training necessary varies from horse to horse. 

If one looks at a line of gait spectrum, with trot on one end and pace on the other, then the running walk or other 4 beat is going to be toward the middle of the spectrum.  But one may have to be content with a stepping pace or singlefoot or rack or a broken trot or a fox trot if that is the gait that is most innate in a particular horse.  In a perfect world, each horse would be developed to his or her best potential.

I highly recommend Brenda Imus' book "Gaits of Gold" and the videos of Diane Gueck "Tips on Training the TWH."

shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-07-05 4:43 PM (#121920 - in reply to #121560)

Regular

To Rose's suggestion I'd like to add Imus' dvds, 'Gaits From God'. The explanations and illustrations of conformation and how it relates to gait, and footfalls in various gaits are very clear and easy to understand.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-07-05 6:08 PM (#121922 - in reply to #121560)

Veteran

Agree with the above,, before you buy study the pictures the gait comes from the angle of bones.  Yes with training you can hard wire the brain to do a better gait but if the confirmation isn't there the gait wont be either.  I have a 15.3 hand gelding for sale but live in upper michigan.  when pushed for speed he does a stepping pace that is fast and smooth for a pace.  got a third last fall in 25 mile endurance competitive with him just messing around but he is to lazy does't really want to be endurance horse.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-07-07 2:27 AM (#121985 - in reply to #121560)

Elite Veteran

Here in the Western region, yes- more pacers than trotters. My mare will do a single foot and a rack. I didn't know she even gaited until the first time I got on and rode her in the round pen. She trots out freely when on the lunge line or out in pasture. When riding her, I sit back and collect her head a little and she goes right into a rack most of the time. She will trot though when asked as well. Both my standardbreds had no problems going into the canter in their training. I have heard the trotters are harder to get a canter out of.
I would try to look for some Standardbreds that are already under saddle that are known to gait for sure. My gelding does not gait readily. Has done it going down hill on his own though. But when I have "asked" him to pick it up, he doesn't. Probably would for a trainer who really knows what he is doing.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-07-07 2:09 PM (#122006 - in reply to #121985)

Veteran

http://www.rackmupstables.com/index.html

Try and contact these people-- they might be able to help you

You should be able to find lots of speed rackers in VA and WVA

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-12-05 9:41 PM (#127811 - in reply to #121560)

Veteran

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-12-05 9:54 PM (#127812 - in reply to #121560)

Veteran

http://www.shobaonline.com/id16.html

Check out this site.  It is the eastcoast area. VA, Carolinas.

The bulletin board always has horses for sale and if you go to a trail ride there are always horses for sale. 

Around my way we have alot of standardbred racers that are pacers.  They have to use the hobbles on most or they will singlefoot and disqualify.  There are standardbred rescues that retrain for saddle and these horses are 95% bombproof.  I know of one that was just re-homed free and an older lady took him to try.  When her friends took off running in front of her (on QH's) and she finally asked her horse to move out he found the gait and passed them like they were sitting still. She was all smiles the rest of the day. She still has the horse and still passes everyone in sight from behind in the gait.

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-12-06 8:37 AM (#127822 - in reply to #121560)

Extreme Veteran

I ride a TWH/Rocky Mountain cross (that moves and has the bone and facial structure of a TWH, but Rocky colors) and my wife rides a full rocky. Both horses are hard-wired to gait, but that's not to say that they didn't need conditioning and refinement. The rocky can and will rack, but not a speed rack, the cross will not. With gaited horses, every time you ride them, its a training session. If you let them get lazy and pacey, then they will try it again on you. My TWH/RMH was a lot of fun, but frustrating at the same time to gait-train. I worked with her for almost a year until it finally 'clicked' in her that the 4 beat is was what she was supposed to do. Ever since it's been fun, smooth riding.

We ride with folks who exclusively ride TWH/Standardbred crosses. They are fast as lightning on the upper end..literally blow my two fairly quick Run walkers off the road...but they can still flat walk and run walk on the trail. They have BIG strides and are easy going (most of the time)-but they can be semi hotblooded.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-12-06 8:59 AM (#127824 - in reply to #121560)

Extreme Veteran

Unfortunately will have to put my speed racking horse search on hold for a while.   Hate to do it but until the economy gets better and we can sell some land (instead of paying higher and higher taxes on it)  just can't be spending $ on the upkeep of another horse.   When I do get one  I think it will be  a standardbred or standardbred/walking horse cross.    I'm learning a lot and really appreciate all of your suggestions!    Meanwhile I'll keep getting  our big  tank like  SSH to gait faster      she's a pretty competitive horse and a blast to ride...  she can be my pre- speed racker.  haha.   

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-12-09 1:22 PM (#127922 - in reply to #121560)

Acy

I think she has speed in her.....more you ride her in gait the faster she will get.

So looking forward to seeing you.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-09-19 12:09 AM (#137645 - in reply to #121560)

Veteran

Go to UTube and type in speed racking horses. There are all kinds and colors for sale.  Also East Coast Stables breeds and trains along with putting on speed shows. My youngest horse was trained for this before I bought him. I would like to go to one of these events if they were closer to me.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-09-19 12:33 AM (#137646 - in reply to #121901)

Veteran

Edited by Rockinghorserun 2011-09-19 12:35 AM
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-09-19 7:28 AM (#137654 - in reply to #121560)

Elite Veteran

OK, predictablty, I am going to ask you all why you want to "fly" down the beautiful trails and not relax and actually enjoy where you are going??? Should I be smokin crack or something? I have ridden both gaited and non-gaited horses. I enjoy both. I would offer that the local club I ride with wants to run down the trail as fast as racking horses, without even a potty break or a water break....whats up with that??? Trust me, I am NOT ready for a nursing home yet.... ( My oldest horse on the place is out of Easy Jet... had a speed index of 101 as a 3 yr old...)
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-09-19 9:13 AM (#137655 - in reply to #137654)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by calamityj on 2011-09-19 8:28 AM
. I would offer that the local club I ride with wants to run down the trail as fast as racking horses, without even a potty break or a water break....whats up with that??? Trust me, I am NOT ready for a nursing home yet.... ( My oldest horse on the place is out of Easy Jet... had a speed index of 101 as a 3 yr old...)

CalamityJ-  don't blame you for not wanting to ride w/ your local club members if that's how they ride.  Some people just don't have a clue..    I do like to go fast, but not on a half out of control unconditioned horse.  I also like to take walk breaks and chat with friends or just get off the horse and walk along side, enjoying the scenery.   It's interesting, after riding endurance for so long, to  be a part of "pleasure" trail riding.  it's like a different world..   overall it's fun tho. 

one of these days I'll have my speed racker but  most I've seen around here are running w/ their heads up in the air, looking rather frantic.  I want one who will go fast when asked, then settle down to a quiet walk when asked too,  like a good endurance horse.  

what is a speed index? 

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-09-19 12:13 PM (#137664 - in reply to #137655)

Extreme Veteran

You sure can tell the young riders from we ole folks. Why would you want to go faster? Simple, faster is soo much smoother than the walk.

Plus, the adrenaline rush you get from pin balling down the trails will keep you young at heart.

And, you can reach more sites in shorter times.

AND, AND, it is just plain fun.

If you have never ridden a racking horse at 30 plus mph, you need to try it, at least once. It's addicting, then you have to have one.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-09-19 12:20 PM (#137667 - in reply to #121560)

Extreme Veteran

Wow!  30 mph- really??    A friend had a standardbred driving horse he bought from an Amish gentleman- don't know how fast we were going but it was fast enough to wish I'd been wearing goggles.   
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-09-19 9:34 PM (#137686 - in reply to #137667)

Extreme Veteran

"30 mph- really"

35.8 actually. The fastest I've ever been. Don't open your mouth and go thru a batch of bugs at that speed. Face mask would have been very helpful.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)