'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sticky Aluminum floor corrosion and coating

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-03-10 11:38 AM
161 replies, 115160 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MichRowe
Posted 2015-09-24 4:52 PM (#164820 - in reply to #110954)
Subject: RE: Aluminum floor corrosion and coating

New User

I have been reading up as I have a pitted and corroded 1998 Featherlite trailer that needs floor help. It has quite a lot of corrosion between the mats, and a handful of smaller holes, and one that is larger (thumbnail sized with a larger weak area around it).How would one do an acid wash and then not walk on it to apply the bed liner? Would you wash and scrub on your way from front to back, and apply liner from back to front (letting it dry as you go so you can walk in)? Is that possible? Or is there some obviously easy way I am overlooking?Also, to be clear, would I acid wash, then do the JB Weld and/or have the larger spots welded, then redo the acid wash? Or is an acid wash not needed before the welding steps?I did call Featherlite and am pricing a new floor as another option. I would still want to coat it if we get one. It's just not always possible to wash the trailer out in Colorado in the winter months.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Posted 2015-09-24 7:34 PM (#164821 - in reply to #110954)

Expert

I'm thinking the surgical booties...
MichRowe
Posted 2015-09-24 8:49 PM (#164822 - in reply to #164821)

New User

Problem is it's so dusty here, I don't know how you'd keep from tracking dust no matter what you wore. Might just need to drape plastic and treat the back door of the trailer like a spray booth (but leave windows open for good ventilation).
MichRowe
Posted 2015-09-25 4:14 PM (#164829 - in reply to #110954)

New User

So for my trailer it would be about $700 for replacement aluminum from FL for the floor (material only). But the dealer is saying it would be ~35 hours welding work to remove and replace the floor. Making materials very affordable, but labor is not.Each aluminum board has to be cut loose at the i-beam, 8 boards x max of 16 cuts (i-beams are on approx. 12" spacing). Does 35 hours sound likely?
ponygirl
Posted 2016-02-07 7:15 PM (#166038 - in reply to #110954)

Hi there. I have read through this thread, very interesting information. I just bought my first aluminium bumper pull. I am really wanting to do this to the floor. Since this is an older thread I just wanted to make sure of the materials to use. The muriatic acid first apply, scrub, & rinse. My friend has looked for this and seen it is to be used on concrete, is there only one kind and where is the best place to buy it? Next primer...best kind and best place to buy? Then the liner, Duplicolor. I this still the best or is here another similar in case I can not find it. I was also wondering about the drain holes in the floor; do I fill in the holes with the liner or make sure they stay open when applying the liner material? Thank you.
gard
Posted 2016-02-08 10:46 PM (#166063 - in reply to #166038)

Expert

The Muriatic acid is the same as used for brick work and is available at the big box and most hardware stores.The "low Odor" variants still require a respirator for the best protection. Duplicolor is the only brand I know of with the Kevlar inclusion, that can also be used on wooden flooring. There are several brands of liner material in these threads that have been successfully used by trailer owners. Zinc chromate primer is available from Jamestown distributors.
CrossfireTRFlooring
Posted 2016-02-26 9:03 PM (#166229 - in reply to #110954)

New User

Might I suggest a Polylast floor? This floor will prevent any more corrosion to your trailer floor, plus added cushioning. It's a great product!
LEAshoot
Posted 2016-08-11 9:34 PM (#167997 - in reply to #110954)

New User

Just wanted to say thanks to Gard! This discusson is STILL very useful. I've read this thread from top to bottom, and I'm doing my trailer because of it!

Jess
Posted 2016-10-08 12:56 PM (#168579 - in reply to #110954)

If you have a trailer that you are selling or trading in with minor corrosion, would this devalue the trailer at all? I'm going to take before and after so they can see condition, it is a 11yr old trailer.
Thanks
aqhaktberry3
Posted 2017-02-05 8:18 PM (#169288 - in reply to #110954)

New User

What happens if you don't do the acid wash?

What do you do with the drain holes that are supposed to be there?
gard
Posted 2017-02-08 12:57 PM (#169309 - in reply to #110954)

Expert

If the floor is already coated with a bed liner material, just the damaged areas can be repaired. Applying the Muriatic acid cleans  the bare metal and etches the metal so the liner material has a better purchase. The metal can also be sanded, which will also clean and prepare the metal for surfacing. Sanding will work well for smaller areas, the acid on larger ones.

The holes that are to be repaired should be drilled out or sanded to provide fresh metal edges to the epoxy. If you then use a counter sink bit on the holes, they will hold the epoxy material much better.

After the floor is  recoated, the drain holes can be redrilled, opening them to their original diameters.

lauraD
Posted 2017-03-10 11:38 AM (#169534 - in reply to #169309)

I don't know if my experience is typical, but I took my trailer to Rhinoliner dealer, they acid washed,sanded,etc- was used aluminum floor - and within 3 years,liner failed. Unfortunately I did not realaize it right away, so the amount of corrosion under the liner was ALOT. Took forever to strip out the liner- til discoverd the joys of a heat gun - And rhinoliner folks wre no help- dealer was out of business so company would not do anything for me. Am now looking at trailers with WERM or Rumber flooring- any opinions ?
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)