'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Moving horses (&cows) in Stock Trailers - Titan Challenger

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-17 2:34 AM
10 replies, 14318 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ozhorse
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-10 5:35 AM (#107771)
Subject: Moving horses (&cows) in Stock Trailers - Titan Challenger

New User

I have so many questions I’m not sure where to start!

First off I’m in Australia. We do not usually use what you call “stock trailers” and just have mostly bumper pull horse trailers. Cattle are usually moved in a crate on the back of a big truck.

I have a farm and have about 120 cows and a few thousand sheep. Also I have horses I show.
Someone has started importing Titan Challenger Stock Trailers (bumper pull) and when I saw one I thought that is exactly what I need. The majority of the use the trailer would get is moving sheep or cattle and bringing hay or goods back from town.

I would go to a handful of local shows with the horses but about three times a year I go to shows interstate which are about 12 hours drive time (about two days) – away for a week or more. I would probably only take one or two horses max on these long trips.

Some specific questions:

Can I pull a 16 foot Titan Challenger stock trailer with a 1989 Ford F250 Petrol 5.8 liter (351 Clevland motor) C6 auto Dana diff? (assume max 3 horses of 14.2 hh)?

The importers said that in America people just tie the horse up in the stock trailer without partitions between them – really just like the cattle are moved. I don’t think I like the idea of taking my cutting horse and turnback horse to shows up to two days drive away in the trailer with no partitions – do you think I should have partitions built for when I want to move horses?

Does anyone have experience transporting horses with no partitions?

Dexter Torsion axles? These are a very unusual thing in Australia (leaf springs used here). If any repairs or parts were needed I would have to have them specially imported. How often do Dexter Torsion axles need repair? The importers said almost never, but then they would.

The bumper hitch is split on the Titan Challenger Stock Trailer. The usual ball hitch in Australia is not split. I presume these split ball hitches work well? Do they need repair often?

Titan Challenger Stock Trailers: Any opinions or information is welcome – good or bad.

How long do the softwood floors last on these trailers?

If I had to replace the floors I would have to use eucalyptus hardwood or ply. Can this be done on a Titan Challenger

Ramps are the usual way to get horses in and out of trailers in Australia. How do horses cope with stepping up into a trailer with no ramp?

If I get an Australian manufacturer to build me a stock trailer I am going to have to give him the technical details of how to make the back slide gate, side opening gate, internal partitions suitable for cattle etc etc etc in other words design the whole trailer myself and communicate the specifications to him. I don’t want to do that if I can avoid it. I know something won’t work properly. My trailer manufacturer is willing but he knows absolutely nothing about transporting cattle and asked me what dividers are used between each cow (duh). As he said, the only thing he knows about cows is when he sees them on a plate. Just leaves me on my own to sort this out.

I would really appreciate any information on using stock trailers for cattle, sheep, horses or moving goods.

Thanks
Emma

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-07-10 8:29 AM (#107777 - in reply to #107771)
Subject: RE: Moving horses (&cows) in Stock Trailers - Titan Challenger

Regular

We have show cattle and use our '84 all steel 16ft bumper pull trailer, and before I got my 4h gooseneck I used it also for the horses. The bumperpull has one divider so that I could put one horse in front and one in the back. If I was in a bind I could put 3 horses in it. Now its for the show steers. We have a F-250 and have used it to pull the bumperpull trailer all over Arizona and New Mexico.

I replaced the flooring on the stock trailer and try to scrape it out frequently, as you know with cattle they sure go alot and when they are fed lots of grains they become a little acidic. I was able to get some used westling mats and laid it over the floor. My truck and trailer would haul 4 1300lb show steers with no prob. I don't know much about the titan brand

Is this similar to the trailer you are considering?
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=207205
It looks like it has the divider in it so you can put one horse in front and one in the back like I did. My horses would figure their balance real quick and would not move around much once I started going.

Step up vs ramp all my horses know how to get in both, the show steers are the ones confused about the ramp. For me in a step up I always back a horse out of a step trailer, even the steers. Had a show steer walk off a trailer and ripped the dew claw right off.

www.myceranch.com
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-10 8:58 AM (#107783 - in reply to #107771)

Expert

Originally written by ozhorse on 2009-07-10 6:35 AM
 Some specific questions: Can I pull a 16 foot Titan Challenger stock trailer with a 1989 Ford F250 Petrol 5.8 liter (351 Clevland motor) C6 auto Dana diff? (assume max 3 horses of 14.2 hh)?

Yes, your truck can pull a three horse BP trailer. You will need to install an electric brake controller, and with a C-6, an auxiliary transmission oil cooler..

The importers said that in America people just tie the horse up in the stock trailer without partitions between them – really just like the cattle are moved. I don't think I like the idea of taking my cutting horse and turnback horse to shows up to two days drive away in the trailer with no partitions

Many companies build a stock/combo trailer. These are stock trailers that have an open floor plan, and also include  slant loaded partitions. We had one in which the partitions will swing open against the wall, or were easily removed if you wanted a totally open area. On ours, even the front bulkhead for the DR was moveable or removable, if you wanted the entire interior space free.

Dexter Torsion axles? These are a very unusual thing in Australia (leaf springs used here). If any repairs or parts were needed I would have to have them specially imported. How often do Dexter Torsion axles need repair?

Dexter axles are pretty much a standard in the states. They have a proven record of reliability over many years. If you anticipate less than ideal road conditions, most manufacturers offer as a option, the installation of heavier axles. This would further enhance the reliability and lessen the chances of damage on poor roads.

The bumper hitch is split on the Titan Challenger Stock Trailer. The usual ball hitch in Australia is not split. I presume these split ball hitches work well? Do they need repair often?

We had a split coupling on our last trailer that never failed or gave any problems. It is actually easier to hook up, as you can be slightly off on the trailer/ball alignment and still be able to pull things into place using the coupling.

Titan Challenger Stock Trailers: Any opinions or information is welcome – good or bad.

If you do a search on Titan, you will see that many people own and enjoy this brand of trailer

How long do the softwood floors last on these trailers? If I had to replace the floors I would have to use eucalyptus hardwood or ply. Can this be done on a Titan

A lot depends on the weather and how well the floor is cleaned after use. Our trailer was almost 15 years old when we sold it, and the flooring was like new. With care, you could conceivably get 25 years or so. Most wood flooring can be replaced as needed. Installing rubber mats over the wood flooring will greatly enhance its longevity.

Challenger Ramps are the usual way to get horses in and out of trailers in Australia. How do horses cope with stepping up into a trailer with no ramp?

Most trailers are low enough in the back for a horse to easily step inside without difficulty. There are two factions of owners, some like ramps, some don't. We've had both and now prefer the step up. Without a ramp, the optional mounted rubber bumper is welcomed.

A stock combo will satisfy both your needs for a 3 stall slant load horse trailer, and an open bulk hauler. If anticipating rough roads, option the heavier axles, and the highest rating, non Chinese tires the manufacturer offers.

Gard

jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-07-10 9:58 AM (#107793 - in reply to #107771)

Extreme Veteran

I hope I can help you out, as I have raised cattle and horses all my life; have sold trailers for 12 years, with one of our brands being Titan.  If I were you; I would order a trailer from the importer the way you want it.  The folks at Titan are all pretty much ranch folks, that know exactly what is needed in a stock or stock combo trailer.  The same folks also own a livestock equipment company called Titan West, that manufacturers some of the best and most versatile cattle handling equipment in the industry. 

As far as Dexter Torsion axles go, they are an axle that is a top made axle in the US.  It is very trouble free, and has nothing to wear out on it like spring axles do.

Titan builds three levels of steel stock trailers.  The Classic is their heaviest built, and is double walled.  The next model is one of their most popular; it is simply their standard stock trailer, with the uprights being on 16" spacing in both the standard stock and the classic.  The Challenger is their lightest built (and lowest priced), with upright posts being on 24" spacing. 

If I were you with as much livestock and useage as your going to give this trailer, I would order a Standard or Classic with 16" tires, and a "rumber floor".  this floor has a 20 year warranty, and is a tongue and groove plank made from recycled rubber and plastic fibers.  It is rough textured for good footing, is easy to clean, and comes with floor joists on 12" spacing; which automatically makes for a heavier built trailer.

You can send me a PM, and I will get you some phone numbers of people at Titan you can directly with.       

ozhorse
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-10 5:03 PM (#107821 - in reply to #107771)

New User

Thanks, that information is very helpful.

Just a few more questions on trailer size - our roads are, as you say, "less than ideal". Our road is a long dirt road with lots and lots of pot holes so a sturdy trailer is obviously better. We are always warned here that with American vehicles they are built for American roads which are much better than we have here. I dont know how true this is.

How steep does a dip have to be before a 16 ft trailer scrapes out on it? Particularly a 16 ft Titan trailer? Are 14 ft trailers better for this? Does it stop you going in some places? I know low is good for road stability but the front hitch and the jockey are quite low in the Titan trailer and I was a little concerned.

Emma
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-07-10 9:07 PM (#107831 - in reply to #107771)

Extreme Veteran

We currently own 3 trailers. Our first was a Stoll 16 ft steel stock trailer which we use very rarely.  An Exiss Event 4H LQ with a 14' SW and an Exiss Event STC-16 stock alum BP.  The BP seems to have the most use and we have horses and show cattle.  We haul horses in the BP several times a week for 4H practice and also use it to haul cattle.  The BP is easy to get in and out of trail heads and tight places.  My horses ride just fine in the BP without any partitions.  They slant great and I usually haul 3 horses at a time in it.  This little trailer has been very versatile and been down some rough roads trail riding.  It pulls great and has a small tack room in the front to hold all the kids gear.   The horses do not mind the step-up; the show calves don't mind it either.  Load right up every time.  When I haul a larger load of cattle I use the Stoll stock, but since I rarely haul more than 3 to 4 cows at a time I usually use the BP which stays hooked up. 

Our LQ trailer has a ramp.  Both my horses and my show calves will go up the ramp and into the larger trailer with no problem.  We remove the dividers when we haul show calves instead of horses so they don't get under the dividers.  Bottom line - buy what works for you and your herd.  We have enjoyed both of our Exiss trailers, but both are the all aluminum Event line.  I haul several times a week so for me it was worth buying a trailer that would last for many years.  I like not having to worry about rust and my Exiss pulls better and is much quieter than our Stoll.  Good luck in your deicision. 

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-07-11 2:57 AM (#107836 - in reply to #107771)

Veteran

Hey OZhorse

I live in

South Africa and our conditions are much the same as yours...last year I imported a Cherokee Tomahawk 4H Gooseneck with a small weekender up front.(all alluminum) The concept of slant load and step up was all new to us...as you guys do most of our trailers are 2H BP...

From day 1 my horses loaded fine in the trailer....in fact I am yet to come across a horse that does not load fine in a step up. I have on one occation taken the partitions out and loaded 5 horses in my trailer...(emergancy) and the horses were just fine.

I agree with one of the comments above... order a trailer with the specs that you want...you wont be sorry. These guys know what they are doing... many years of experience manufactureing trailers makes our lives much easier...

Good luck - and let us know what you decide on.

P.s. I pull my rig with a 06 F250 dbl cab 4,2L diesel - I think they are available down under as well....

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-07-11 1:40 PM (#107850 - in reply to #107771)

Extreme Veteran

The "split ball" hitch is a bulldog hitch.  It is very popular here in the states and is trouble free.  My horses load easily in a step-up trailer, and I don't seem to need the divider, although my trailer has one if I do need it, like when I haul pigs.  I just tie the horses on opposite sides of the trailer and they do fine.  Might not do so well if they were inclined to kick each other.  Yes, you can replace the wood flooring in your trailer.  Not a really big job.  I replaced mine with oak a couple of years ago.  My stock trailer is a 16 foot trailer, and I have had no issues with hauling it on some pretty rugged ranch trails.

Marla

LauraLou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-02 6:05 PM (#108870 - in reply to #107771)

New User

Hi, we have a Diamond D, stock/horse trailer, we show team sorting and have hauled over 600 miles (one way), it works, no divider needed, but our horses are used to hauling with one another. We sold our LQ, 4 Horse, so we did with what we have. We also haul cattle and stock dogs.The split ball hitch works great as does the suspension, you will be fine, and if they are importing them they should be carrying some replacement parts. I know we travel some less than perfect roads.We are in Colorado and do a lot of mountain riding, high mountain lakes and such and the roads to them are not for the casual driver.I can't remember all your questions, hope this helps
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-08-03 9:41 AM (#108900 - in reply to #107771)

Expert

We too, have horses (and mules) and cattle that we haul.  We use the stock trailer for both, sometimes we will have cattle loaded in the front, and the saddle mules loaded in behind them (and a cut gate partition) as we used the riding stock to help gather the cattle.  What you propose to do is quite doable.  I would follow the advice for the heavier made model, as the weight of cattle combined with rougher roads will have more tendency to strain the lightly made models.  Horses do very well with a step up.  I too second the rumber floor, you can easily wash out your cattle manure and it will hold up well.  The rubber bumper on the step up is very good to have, if you are backing up to a loading or unloading dock for cattle it is a cushion, and also protective of horse and cattle legs upon loading minus a dock.  The torsion axle made by Dexter is wonderful, and also easier on the stock on rougher roads, seems like.  The bulldog hitch is great also.  Go for it!  Order the one you want, it will serve you well.
ozhorse
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-12-17 2:34 AM (#114339 - in reply to #107771)

New User

I have ordered the Titan stock trailer with a rumber floor and a rubber bumper and an extra 1/2 slide gate inside for separating stock. It is on the ship and should be arriving in Australia soon.

Thanks for all your advice, it really helped me decide and to be confident in the purchase.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)