'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cold Weather Horse Care - Yes I know its Spring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-27 3:29 PM
4 replies, 3635 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-26 9:25 PM (#102189)
Subject: Cold Weather Horse Care - Yes I know its Spring

Veteran

Hi All -

Well I know this is the wrong season to be asking but it looks like there is a decent chance my job will be transferring me from the Las Vegas area to the Minneapolis MN area.

Talk about out of the frying pan and into the freezer.

So I grew up cowboying in warm weather, and can deal with the heat with no issues, but beyond short bits in northern CA and NV, my horses and myself have never had to deal with long serious winters, damn cold winters, HELP !

I have had the horses in the snow and they seem to have a ball and love to play in it.

So I figure I will build a decent barn, try to keep the drafts out, and lots of straw for bedding, and some three sided loafing sheds in my new pasture area, What else ?

I have never put a blanket on a horse, never had a need and from what people have said if I can not do it it is better.

My horses are tough cowboy horses, I love them like pets, but I work them hard, I don't clip them or go to fancy shows, so they are shaggy in the winter anyway.

So besides a good barn, some sheds in the pasture, lots of free range food, a heating coil for the water so it does not freeze, what else ?

I am going to try my best to not make HorseCubes out of them.

Thanks

Troy
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
riddenhardputawaywet
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-03-27 1:53 AM (#102205 - in reply to #102189)
Subject: RE: Cold Weather Horse Care - Yes I know its Spring

Regular

What kind of cold are we talking about?30 deg or -30 deg?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-27 6:49 AM (#102210 - in reply to #102189)

Expert

I'm about an hour down the road from Randolf Utah. Which frequently is the Coldest spot in the lower 48 states.  I've passed through there on my way snowmobiling at temps well below 0 f.  I see both horses and cows standing out in open fields.  A neighbor of mine grew up in that town. He said when it was  -40* they worked hard to get enough feed into their livestock to keep them warm. No barns, no run in sheds. Maybe a row of trees as windbreak along the fence lines. They can adapt. Another friend of mine moved out into the Unitah Basin of NorthEastern Utah. They have a lot of sub Zero temps in the winter.  Again his horses are just out in a 40 acre field. You just have to throw them lots of calories during cold weather. Find some way to keep water in them. You will need a tank heater.

I live in Northern Utah. We get a week each winter where the day time high is Zero temps. And the nights may drop to -10 to -15. My horses have never seen a barn. They do have a 3 sided run in shed. But they seem very happy to stand out in the snow unless it is blowing. They seem to use the shed more for shade in the summer than to get out of a storm in the winter.

If you will build them some run in sheds and/or barn they should be fine. Folks back east get some Ice storms which we don't get here in the west. So we don't have to worry about livestock falling down on ice. I see people posting about have to lock their animals up for a day or two until the ice melts.

The biggest problem with the cold, is not the horses surviving. But me wanting to get on them and ride in it.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-03-27 6:51 AM
rdurst
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-27 2:54 PM (#102242 - in reply to #102189)

I am 45 min. south of Minneapolis MN All you need is good shelter, plenty of feed, heater for the water. I have not put blankets my horses. With a good shelter, to get out of the elements they do just fine.

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-27 3:29 PM (#102247 - in reply to #102189)

Veteran

Great that is what I needed to know as if this move happens we will be in about that far south ( I think ) of the cities as well.

Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)