'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electrical issues

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-28 5:04 PM
6 replies, 4237 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pedsrn
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-28 8:18 AM (#93776)
Subject: Electrical issues

Whenever I plug my trailer in using an extension cord (heavy duty), flames and smoke shoot out at the cord/adaptor sight.  I am using the best adapter on the market and have gone thru 3 cords. This is without anything running inside the trailer.

I have had two electricians look at my trailer and they can't figure out the problem.  When I plug into my generator (not using an extension cord), I constantly blow breakers on the generator.  Is this an inverter problem?

Edited by pedsrn 2008-10-28 8:19 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-28 8:27 AM (#93777 - in reply to #93776)
Subject: RE: Electrical issues

Expert

You have an electrical component that is internally faulty or wire that is directly shorted to ground. It will take some trouble shooting to determine the area and the cause. A qualified electrician should be able to determine the problem.

Gard

pedsrn
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-28 8:32 AM (#93779 - in reply to #93777)

Originally written by gard on 2008-10-28 8:27 AM

You have an electrical component that is internally faulty or wire that is directly shorted to ground. It will take some trouble shooting to determine the area and the cause. A qualified electrician should be able to determine the problem.

I have taken my trailer to two certified electricians and they don't know what's wrong.  It's driving me crazy! 

So do you think it's NOT the inverter?  That is what one of them suggested changing out.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-10-28 8:54 AM (#93781 - in reply to #93776)

Expert

Is this trailer new to you, or has it worked well and this problem has recently developed.

I had an electrical issue at one time that, after very extensive testing, turned out to be in the actual electrical cord (not an extension) itself.  Replaced that shoreline cord, and all remained well for years.  And that cord that had the problem looked flawless from the exteriror.  Good luck with this, and a vist to an experienced licensed RV dealership shop is where I would start.

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-10-28 5:14 PM
pedsrn
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-28 9:03 AM (#93782 - in reply to #93776)

I've owned the trailer for 4 years and this problem recently developed. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-28 9:06 AM (#93783 - in reply to #93779)

Expert

So do you think it's NOT the inverter?  That is what one of them suggested changing out.

The inverter could be a problem. Any component could be. You don't have to replace it to find out if it's faulty. Just disconnect its power source. If the short goes away, it was probably the fault. Further trouble shooting will verify the situation. If the situation persists, it's not the reason for your difficulties.

A qualified electrician will trouble shoot your system to find the problem. He will use a multi meter, test light and intuition. He won't indiscriminately start changing expensive parts to find the problem. Find a qualified technician, and he will save you money.

As another posting states, start with the power cord and work towards the trailer.

I've reread your posting several times and have a question. You say that you are plugging your cord into numerous extensions and the generator, and yet you have the same problem.

Are you talking about the same plug on the end of the shore cord? If you are, I would first check the plug itself. With age they can be stepped on and crushed, the pins can twist under the cord's weight or pulling in different directions. They can be damaged internally and short out, whilst still looking well externally. They are replaceable without changing the whole shore cord.

If the plug is well, the cord then should be also checked. It too is subject to mechanical wear, from feet, hooves and vehicles. The insulation doesn't have to be abraded to indicate an interior short, but it may do so. This too should be carefully examined and its length rung out for shorts and continuity. The next area is the trailer's interior. Once you're inside the trailer, the trouble shooting difficulties increase.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-10-28 9:25 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-28 5:04 PM (#93820 - in reply to #93776)

Expert

Originally written by pedsrn on 2008-10-28 5:42 AM

I have had two electricians look at my trailer and they can't figure out the problem. 

Your main problem are the two electricians.  They aren't qualified or not equiped for your trailer's problem.  Find someone who is.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)