'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Your Best Trail Riding Place?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-16 8:58 PM
41 replies, 11763 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-07 6:00 AM (#53436 - in reply to #52547)
Subject: RE: Your Best Trail Riding Place?

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by appy4me on 2006-12-16 6:18 PM

Thanks Cloud! We've added it to our list of places to go next year. We are about 3 hours from Praire, so it would be a good long weekend. How many miles of trail are there? Is there enough to be worth staying for a few days?
Thanks again!

We used to live near Rockford, IL and went to La Rivere Park a couple of times a year. We had QH then and found enough riding for several days. We now ride TWH. So, a long weekend might be all. But, a few miles across the Mississippi is Yellow River State Park in Iowa which isn't as pretty but has some nice trails.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-01-07 8:34 PM (#53477 - in reply to #53016)

Veteran

Not sure where Shari stays, but we like Hayes Canyon. There are MANY great places to ride/stay. Where you stay can depend on what you see. Many places arent close to Garden of the Gods. I have heard that you can ride there from New Hope Hill (one horse gap). We drove up to Garden of the Gods and loved it. I wish we could have seen it from horseback, but you can see more if you just go up there by vehicle. I searched all over my computer, but cannot find my Garden of the Gods pictures. Get a copy of Trail rider Magazine, they list lots of the campgrounds there.
Hayes is nice, clean and really reasonable priced too. The sites are easy to get into with your rig and the owners are very nice. The trail head is only minutes from your site, so its always a good ride. Make sure to line up a guide or go on an organized ride. Hayes does have maps that provide GPS coordinates for the best points of interest. We especially like Peter cave, High Point, and Jackson Hole. We had to stay back the day everyone went to Indian Kitchen, but heard it's awesome.
I'll be making my reservations soon, I can hardly wait!
Diane
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-01-08 9:19 AM (#53505 - in reply to #52130)

Extreme Veteran

We went to One Horse Gap last year and are planning to return this season.  The riding was terrific and the people take such good care of you!!  It is a relatively small camp but very clean and friendly.  You won't be disappointed.

RIDE ON!

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-08 11:01 PM (#53569 - in reply to #52130)

Extreme Veteran

I would have to say my fav is Montana De Oro State park in California. Of course part of that is because we live in the desert, and the beach and dunes are Soooo cooool! Lots of great mountain trails, excellent facilities for the horses, with pipe corrals, water troughs, and really nice Rangers and Volunteers to guide you. Only a few minutes to fine dining in Morro Bay, and lots of places for non-horsey spouses and kids. Even golf, sport fishing, and kayaking on the bay.  10 minute to a store for those "forgotten" dinner items, and absolute quiet if you want in the evenings. 10 minutes to Morro State park with HOT showers! Cool misty mornings along the beach, and warm trails along the mountain tops, tide pools and historical talks...who needs more?

Steve

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/montanadeoroandsiseley046.jpg

Watch out for the raccoons to raid your food, and of course the buck deer that raid the hay supply.

dateacher
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-10 7:21 PM (#53678 - in reply to #53436)

Yellow River State Park in Iowa is nice but doesn't have the facilities I have found in other parks such as water and showers.
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-01-12 9:37 AM (#53761 - in reply to #52130)

Veteran

OKAY !! THATS IT!! I AM MOVING!! Here in Pensacola, Fl. there are very few places to ride, The ones we have are nice but nothing compared to the places you guys have been. The winter and fall are our best times to ride because the summers are so hot, so I have to be careful of hunters!!
My biggest problem is a partner. My husband and kids don't ride and I don't really know anyone who is willing to take off for a week or so and go anywhere fun.
SO I guess I will just have to read about all of the fun you guys are having and maybe I'll get the nerve up to go somewhere all by myself!!
So keep posting, Please!!
spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-12 1:38 PM (#53773 - in reply to #52130)

Regular

Shawnee forest in october! we have stayed at bay creek,bear branch and hayes canyon , i personaly like hayes canyon the sites are big and have water,sewer,power and stalls next to your trailer. Also the trails are incredible we go for 8 days once a year and never run out of new cool stuff to see.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-23 5:33 PM (#54373 - in reply to #52130)

Extreme Veteran

In the East, we have been to several places in Pennsylvania: Gettysburg Battlefield has a bridle trail around the battleground that lets you ride around and see all of the monuments and actually ride along where Picketts Charge took place. Susquehannock State Forest is awesome. It is in an area called "endless mountains". That's a place we'd go back to in a New York minute.
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-01-23 6:59 PM (#54378 - in reply to #52130)

Veteran

We love riding in the Black Hills of S.Dakota. We've been there 3 times and hope to go back again this summer. The area around Mystic is just beautiful with big canyons with creeks that run thru and lots of wildflowers. closer to home we enjoy riding the Shawnee creek area near Eminence, Mo. It's always a treat to see the wild horses. 
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-24 8:50 AM (#54405 - in reply to #54378)

Extreme Veteran

PooperScooper, agree with those choices. We were in the Black Hills near Custer and rode in the Black Elk Wilderness in 2005. It was really cool. Have bee to Shawnee several times. Stayed at Bear Branch and Hayes Canyon. Liked Hayes better. Will try Circle B this spring. The area around Emminance is great. We particularly enjoy riding the Current River. Stay at Whispering Pines in Jadwin, MO.

Where are you in MO?
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-01-24 6:03 PM (#54434 - in reply to #52130)

Veteran

Cloud 9, I'm from the southeast part of Missouri. What part are you in? Looks like we've ridden alot of the same trails. We've been to Whispering Pines twice and really liked it. It's hard to believe the Current River up there is the same river down here. It's really just a big creek up there and by the time it gets down to Doniphan it's huge and I don't think there's any place around here that you could cross it on horseback. We do ride some trails that go along it and yes it's very pretty. Did you stay at Elkhaven in SD? We stayed there in 2005. Small world and hope to meet you guys on the trail someday.  

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-01-30 9:27 PM (#54761 - in reply to #52130)

Veteran

Loved 4J Big Piney Mo,also Cuivere River.We like Yellow River and La Riviere Park AKA Praireie du Chein & Childrens Ranch next door,Gov Dodge State Park(SUCKS)JMHO Will go back to End Of The Trail  Equine Campground located between Wild Cat Mt & The Kickapoo Valley Reserve Trails.IL we are 30 minutes from Jubilee State Park We love it.Also ride in Shawnee,Jim Edgar,Siloam Springs,McNaughton park,Weinberg-King,Park by Bloomington also.Iowa like Yellow River alot Shimek nice too.I wanta get to Ind to Brown County an Midwest to ride an camp.Also been up to Minn now wanta ride up there Ohio an Pen also calling us soon.Any ideas?Thanks
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-31 10:24 AM (#54785 - in reply to #52130)

Extreme Veteran

Hey, all, any one gone to a favorite trail destination here lately? Went to the snow last weekend, gotta get my story and pics up on my site here in the next few. Dealing with buying a bunch more pairs, so kinda  right now...........
Circle E
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-02 10:45 PM (#56646 - in reply to #52130)

Come on up to the Mountains in TENNESSEE,  we have a new place with over 100 miles of trails mapped and marked.  Check us out www. circleeguestranch.com 

Happy Trails

Kim

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-03 6:24 PM (#56674 - in reply to #52130)

The best so far for me in Colorado has got to be Gilpin/Gold Creek Lakes Loop near Steamboat Springs in the Mt Zirkle Wilderness. There are many close seconds along the front range near Denver.
DanaD
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-03-21 3:36 PM (#57468 - in reply to #52130)

I love to go to the LBJ National Grasslands near Decatur, TX. It has over 20,000 acres. It has trails that are well marked. It has several looping trails, I think about 5. There are windmills and lakes to water your horses, but bring your own facilities and water. We dont get to go as much as I would like since I live over 4 hours away. Summers are really hot, also.
skylermom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-16 8:58 PM (#59431 - in reply to #54373)

Regular

Cloud9,

I noticed you mentioned the Susquehannock Forest - curious where you ride.  I live at the southern edge, just south of Cross Fork across from the Tamarack Swamp Natural Area.  So I ride from my barn right on to the forest...  Just got my first horse trailer last weekend so now I can expand my riding area.  I can't wait for decent weather!!!!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)