'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Air Ride System for horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-07 2:03 PM
10 replies, 8925 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-04 4:52 PM (#81190)
Subject: Air Ride System for horse trailer

Veteran

Hi -does anyone know if you can add an air-ride system to a trailer? I have a 2001 Sundowner that is 34 ft. on the floor....and with the axles set further back...it has a hard ride, even though I have air bags on my truck....where would I look to find out more info. about this? Thanks a lot!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-04-04 5:21 PM (#81192 - in reply to #81190)
Subject: RE: Air Ride System for horse trailer

You can add air ride, but it requires changing out the axles and is not cheap. I've heard that Kelderman makes an air ride add on using existing axles, but I've never seen one and can't figure out how it could work. You can probably sell your existing axles and recoup some of the cost but it will still be expensive. I don't know about labor in your area, but it will probably be $6,000 or more. If you are going to do it, get the hydraulic disc brakes on the new axles, they are worth the little extra they cost.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-04 5:42 PM (#81193 - in reply to #81190)

Veteran

I did look at the Kelderman system - and they actually have a dealer, here in Michigan near me - it is added on to the torsion axles...it is an air bag and also a shock absorber...they have quite a few photos on their web pages....I will be calling them on Monday and get some ideas about cost and installation! Thanks!
NCcowgirl
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-04 9:44 PM (#81215 - in reply to #81190)

Could you PM me or post the cost etc on the air ride once you get it.  I would like to know what it costs also.  the price to have a trailer ordered with it on it from the factory is over $6,000.  thanks,

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-04-05 8:44 AM (#81239 - in reply to #81190)

I would also be interested in what you find out about the Kelderman. I had Dexter torflex axles with hydraulic drum brakes swapped out for Dexter airflex axles with hydraulic disc brakes 3 or 4 years ago and the cost was about $7,000, less $1,200 trade for the torflex axles and Carlyle pump. The $7,000 included a new Dexter pump since the disc brakes require more pressure than the drum brakes. It also include the air compressor, ride height adjustment and dump valve to lower the trailer for loading/unloading. The work was done by Southwest Wheel in San Antonio. I am curious what kind of trailer NCC checked into the price of the air ride option on? The only reason I'm asking is that I've gotten it cheaper than that from both Elite and Bloomer when added at the factory. Of all the air ride systems I know of, Dexter is the most reliable and trouble free. I had an STI system a few years back and would not go that route again. Let us know how you come out with Kelderman.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-05 9:18 AM (#81244 - in reply to #81190)

Veteran

I will definitely keep you posted...I'm just looking at this system...I'm not all that happy with my current trailer and might just sell it and start over...this is my 3rd. trailer and every time I have one a couple years...I learn more and want different options....seems less expensive to just purchase what I want...the used trailer market is soft right now....and I think I can get what I want easier than trying to make my "pig's ear" and silk purse.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-05 9:19 AM (#81245 - in reply to #81190)

Veteran

I will definitely keep you posted...I'm just looking at this system...I'm not all that happy with my current trailer and might just sell it and start over...this is my 3rd. trailer and every time I have one a couple years...I learn more and want different options....seems less expensive to just purchase what I want...the used trailer market is soft right now....and I think I can get what I want easier than trying to make my "pig's ear" a silk purse.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-04-05 9:38 AM (#81246 - in reply to #81190)

Extreme Veteran

Another nice option to get if you get new axles is oil bath bearings (not sure you couldn't have regular changed to oil), no more repacking bearings, you just look to make sure the oil is in there.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-04-05 9:48 AM (#81248 - in reply to #81246)

I agree, the oil bath is nice, but it's not for everyone. If the trailer sits for awhile, the oil will settle to the bottom, leaving the top of bearings/races exposed and they can rust. As long as you are hauling, they are great, but if somebody lets their trailer sit over the winter, they may have trouble. You can use grease in the oil bath hubs if the trailer is going to sit awhile.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-07 1:33 PM (#81398 - in reply to #81190)

Veteran

Here's a bit of info. regarding the add-on Kelderman Air Ride System....for my tandem 8,000 pound torsion axles...the complete kit is $2,798.00 and they will ship the system to an installer in my area - which is Alton Co. In Pigeon, Michigan and he said it would take MAYBE 2 guys 2 days or a little less to install the system....he had not installed one on a LQ horse trailer before - just semi-trailers - but same theory, I guess....and it would be about another $1,000 - 1,500.00 for the Labor....so maybe I'll just think about selling my current trailer and start over again....I thought this time I had purchased the "right" one for our needs.....OK OK - we women have the right to change our minds!!!
NCcowgirl
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-07 2:03 PM (#81400 - in reply to #81190)

Thanks for getting back with the price info.  I just priced air ride at factory on new 4 star and it is $5650. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)