'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
life of trailer batteries

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-10-04 3:09 PM
8 replies, 5179 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-10-03 7:32 AM (#168529)
Subject: life of trailer batteries

Extreme Veteran

How long should one expect the dual batteries on a horse trailer to keep a full charge? I'd estimate we've camped in it for approximately a total of 8-9 months in the 2 years since we bought the trailer new. In all that time, I never failed to keep a full charge even when dry camping for 4 days on several occasions. That's not the case as of recently. And, here's the challenge and why I'm posting this for input.
        While overnighting on a trip out west, when we plugged in, the electric was either a 220 or a bad breaker. (Got both versions.) Owner had us try 2 different outlets; both blew my breakers. When we got out west, we came to realize that our converter had been "fried" due to the incident.
       We had a new one installed when we got home. Fortunately, it appears that no other damage was sustained. However, even though the batteries checked out fine, they no longer hold a full charge even for one overnight camping trip. Could it be possible that there was some damage to the batteries even though it wasn't apparent when the RV center checked them?
       Knowledgable input appreciated.  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dbarnes72
Reg. Dec 2015
Posted 2016-10-03 2:54 PM (#168530 - in reply to #168529)
Subject: RE: life of trailer batteries

Regular

I wouldn't be surprised if they are bad at 2 years. RV batteries have a pretty tough existence. I don't know what Lakota puts in their trailers (mine included) but company profit surely is a factor in their decision.  Discharging down below a certain point starts to kill them. There is a lot more technical terminology than that obviously. One thing you can do is buy a charger that has de-sulfating capability.  It is even possible that your current batteries may regain some capacity if de-sulfation is performed. Numerous people have claimed that the battery can be saved that way. And if you do have to get new batteries, a de-sulfating charger used periodically can extend the life. Good luck. 
Dbarnes72
Reg. Dec 2015
Posted 2016-10-03 3:00 PM (#168531 - in reply to #168529)

Regular

and...............based on the amount of camping you do, you may want to give some thought to upgrading to the 6 volt high capacity golf cart style batteries. According to the RV people, they can withstand deep discharge better and have improved Amp Hour storage. Spendy though. Check out RV.Net for more than you'll ever need to know about batteries.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-10-03 6:50 PM (#168532 - in reply to #168531)

Extreme Veteran

Dbarnes, Thank you for the input. I appreciate all opinions and will definitely look into your information. Lakota has treated me super well, and I should consult them, too. I never had a battery problem till my converter got fried. We had to buy a battery charger out in CO when we discovered that the converter was damaged. Not sure what Hubby bought out there. I am pretty distressed that the faulty outlets on our first night enroute to CO caused us so much damage. Up to that point, I'd dry camped with fully charged batteries for days at at time. Now, I can't manage more than a single night with full charge. I can't afford to be "stranded" since I don't have a generator.  This forum provides such a wealth of knowledge, and I am thankful for people like you sharing information at my request.
arielremos
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2016-10-03 9:05 PM (#168533 - in reply to #168532)

No generator?
So, you only & always camp at a sites that have power close by?
My convertor was also fried by a bad outlet but nothing else suffered. Batteries were ok.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2016-10-04 1:00 AM (#168534 - in reply to #168529)

Expert

Did they check the batteries with a VOM or did they run a LOAD TEST on them?
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-10-04 7:47 AM (#168538 - in reply to #168529)

Extreme Veteran

Ariel, Usually power. Some trips are months at one camp. Others only a week to ten days. I do dry camp a few times/year with no problem. No generator.......yet. Wish I'd have included an Onan when I ordered the trailer. So, I'm not the only one whose converter got fried. I purchased a surge protecter which checks the plug in before allowing power to my trailer. I'm trying to avoid ever experiencing a repeat. That singe mishap cost me plenty both in $ and loss of time while the trailer was being fixed.
Peter, Not sure what the RV center used to test the batteries. I am calling them today. Thanks for the tip.

horsey1
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-10-04 7:55 AM (#168539 - in reply to #168529)

With regular usage, seeing diminished power after two years is very common. My friends who dry camp on batteries usually replace them every other year or so.

As to frying them- while the outlet issue is regrettable, it did nothing to your batteries. The converter is what charges them, and it fried instantly. So for what it is worth, I have to say the two incidents are coincidental.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-10-04 3:09 PM (#168544 - in reply to #168529)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Horsey. I'm thinking I'll just buy 2 new batteries and see what goes. I do believe the 2 are unrelated, but the LQ sure went POP twice when Hubby plugged in to those outlets. Without posting a lengthy diatribe, the CO trip was something else. It was the going & coming, not the actual time there. That part was super. On the return, we had a major blow-out. Bent the fender into the tire. 3 tow trucks sent to western KS instead of central MO even though I knew exactly where we were. Bought all new tires when home only to find out 2 more were losing their belts. I've learned lessons: protect your assets. Water pressure regulators & filters, a surge protector and invest in good tires. Don't trust anything to chance.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)