'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding the Bighorn Mtns.?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-03 7:33 PM
11 replies, 6257 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

montyandmisty
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-24 7:19 PM (#71763)
Subject: Riding the Bighorn Mtns.?

Has anyone have tips for riding the Bighorn Mtn. in Wyoming? and if so where is good place to camp?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-25 10:19 PM (#71797 - in reply to #71763)
Subject: RE: Riding the Bighorn Mtns.?

Veteran

Hi, we rode the bighorns in 2004 from Hunter Mesa Trailhead. Most of the camping in the bighorns is going to be primitive trailhead type camping. I believe there are a few private places available, you'll have to do some research on the net. Check out gafoxtrotters.com, they ride the bighorns every year and have a lot of nice pics and Susan will probably give you some information if you email her. We were there over July 4th, and I would not recommend you go earlier than this,,,probably should wait a few more weeks. The week we were there, we had rain, sleet, hail, thunder, lightning, and snow, intermixed with 80 degree blue sky days. The riding is really fantastic, and we only hit a very small part of the forest from where we were camped. Our best ride was from the hunter mesa trailhead where we camped up to the 7 brothers lakes area thats inside the cloud peak wilderness, and back down into the entrance to the florence pass on the east side. We had to clear fallen lodgepole pine from the trail, obviously we were the first horse party up there that year...it was great and we are hoping to get back in 2008. The year we stayed at Hunter Mesa, the trailhead hosts were really great...they helped get us oriented...likely they are no longer there but you should be able to check with the forest service to find out who is hosting and try to contact them...I would guess it's usually someone who rides. You wont be disappointed unless you are wanting deluxe accomodations. When you head up into the mountains, pack warm gear, raincoats, flashlight, some water, energy bars, etc. Make sure you let someone know your plans because when we were there we had no cell phone service (that may be changed now) and we did not see any other riders all week! A couple of other items.  Check out the backcountry horsemen of wyoming web page.  There is a chapter that works the trails in the bighorns and they can provide information and also have a nice trailmap booklet.  Secondly, if you go there to ride, purchase a good portable saw (I recommend a "wyoming" brand so you can clear the small lodgepole pine from the trails..there is a lot of old burns and these small pines fall all over the trails,,in some places blocking your path.

Edited by martyg 2007-11-25 10:29 PM
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-11-26 8:06 AM (#71811 - in reply to #71763)

Regular

We stayed at Hunter campground, last week in July 2007.  The weather was great, when we got there it was hot, then it cooled down.  No need for airconditioner.  No snow for us, some rain.  The campground was full, and the host said it had been all year.  We had made reservation, so we had a spot.  Many people didn't, but the host sent them to the top of the hill, and they camped along the woods line up there.  A little rocky going up, the road was very crude.  But we talked to some of the people up there and they said they made it fine, unloaded their horses before pulling up, put it in 4 wheel drive and went up.  I recommend reservations.  The trails are marked, and the map is pretty good.  The marks are quite a ways a part from each other.  We went down to Buffalo and bought a better map.  We plan on going back in 2008.  Planning on staying at Hunter a few days and move to Battle Creek campground, I think that's the name of it.  It was closed for work, last year, I believe it is back open for 2008. As for tips, just take the RAINCOAT, and extra WARM cloths when you ride out, & plenty of water and some food.  You will enjoy it, beautiful country.  Don't forget your CAMERA.

Happy Trails

marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-12-05 1:08 AM (#72416 - in reply to #71763)

Regular

Hi. Which part of the Big Horns were you looking at? When were you planning on going? I'm from Minnesota also and I spent 10 days in the Burgess Junction area a year ago. If this is what you are looking for let me know and I'll pass on my awesome experience and contacts.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-12-05 4:57 PM (#72471 - in reply to #72416)

Veteran

Hi Marlenaane, I would like to get any information you have for the bighorns. We want to go out again this year and we only have experience down at Hunter Mesa and the east side of the cloud peak wilderness area. You can email me or post here. Thanks.
marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-12-08 9:36 PM (#72664 - in reply to #71763)

Regular

marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-12-08 9:41 PM (#72665 - in reply to #72471)

Regular

Let me try getting info typed before I hit "enter". Sorry for the blank post. I'm short on time tonight but I will pull campground names, phone numbers, etc. and post within the next few days. Only my daughter and I went so we made choices based on that as opposed to where some larger groups camp. Happy to share what I have and will post soon. Would like to go back again in 2008 as well.
bigriverjeff
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-01-02 2:20 PM (#73627 - in reply to #72665)

marlene we ar also heading out in 08 i would greatly apperciate any info send to big riverjeff@yahoo.com thanks jeff
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-02 5:52 PM (#73654 - in reply to #71811)

Extreme Veteran

quote:"We plan on going back in 2008. Planning on staying at Hunter a few days and move to Battle Creek campground,"

I believe you mean Battle Park, if that's the case, you should be aware they have redone the camping area and when it's full, they are not allowing any more campers. The road into Battle Park is long and rough, so you could make the trip in there, only to find it is full.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-02 5:54 PM (#73655 - in reply to #72416)

Extreme Veteran

quote: "I'm from Minnesota also and I spent 10 days in the Burgess Junction area a year ago."

Tell me some more about this area. Any picturs, what were the trails like, a lot of trails?
marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-01-03 1:32 AM (#73670 - in reply to #71763)

Regular

Happy New Year! My daughter and I stayed at Bear Lodge in Burgess Junction area. They are not a set up as a horse camp but we were there on a slow time and they were incredibly wonderful. We were put in a site in the back and set up our own horse containment. We had electric and water and cleaned our pens. We put our piles by the road and they took care of it from there. There is a lodge, restaurant, convenience store and fuel. Phone service is very limited . . . in any form. There are no trails. Open range riding . . . if the gate is open, ride on through. If the gate is closed . . . open, ride through, close. Scenery is wonderful. Many people camp in other areas as there is no charge for dispersed camping which I think would be fun with a group but we were alone and less comfortable with that. For those from Minnesota, or any others, I think our ride time was very successful because we stayed in the Black Hills for 3 days (4500' elevation) and then went to Burgess (8500'). Horses didn't miss a beat. There is a 10 mile 11% grade trek up and down so make sure you have the power and brakes. I can tell you more if you email me. marlenaanne@comcast.net. If anyone is heading out this year and is open to company please let me know. Would do the trip again.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-03 7:33 PM (#73711 - in reply to #71763)

Veteran

I just got an email today from Susan at gafoxtrotters. She said the forest service has really changed the rules about primitive camping in the Burgess Junction area. Supposedly a place where they have camped for the past eleven years, the USFS told them they could not camp there anymore. Seems like the horse people are sort of getting booted out of that area, little by little. It is a shame too because that is a beautiful place to ride.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)