'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
restoring black alluminum skin on horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2022-07-30 9:02 AM
2 replies, 5416 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brooksbarrelhorses
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2013-10-10 6:45 AM (#155263)
Subject: restoring black alluminum skin on horse trailer

i have a black skin aluminum trailer that I would like to restore the black to and protect for the future. I found Everbrite on the internet, that is supposed to restore the black color and protect. has anyone used Everbrite or know of another cleaner/restoring product? my worry is that I do have my trailer acid bathed from time to time, If I treat the skin with Everbrite or anything else can I still use acid on the trailer?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-10-10 9:26 AM (#155268 - in reply to #155263)
Subject: RE: restoring black alluminum skin on horse trailer

Expert

Your trailer's black paint has faded from the exposure to UV rays and the acid washings. The original paint was applied in a very thin application by rollers and a hot dip service. It was then baked on and supplied in sheets to the trailer's manufacturer. To restore the paint's luster, involves removing the damaged surface coating, whilst exposing the better undamaged paint underneath. This can be done mechanically or chemically. There are many products that can remove the dulling oxidation. Anything that involves buffing and compounds, can result in the removal of the very thin paint coating, exposing the bare metal underneath.

I would purchase a small amount of the product and apply it in an area that is relatively indistinguishable. If it works and you're satisfied, apply more to the entire trailer. Most of these types of products will be damaged and possibly removed by acid washings. You may want to consider citrus washings instead, for a painted trailer. A communication with the Everbrite folks, may enlighten you to what they consider the best cleaning method of their products.

If the paint is badly damaged and cannot be restored to your liking with a cleaner, it may be brightened with a newly applied automotive clear coating of paint. If it's not possible to save the original paint, the trailer can be resprayed in a single or two part paint, and made to look better than new.

Shepdog
Reg. Jul 2022
Posted 2022-07-30 9:02 AM (#185362 - in reply to #155263)
Subject: RE: restoring black alluminum skin on horse trailer

New User

Did you ever try the Everbrite?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'