'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How Much Does it Weigh?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-02 2:53 PM
5 replies, 6220 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-31 9:30 AM (#25882)
Subject: How Much Does it Weigh?

I am looking at an older Aluminum, 2 horse slant Gooseneck trailer.  It is made by C&C and is probably about the smallest aluminium gooseneck you could get.  I have been searching manufacturers websites trying to learn how much I could expect a trailer like this to weigh.  I have been disappointed that the manufacturers don't post weights.  At least I haven't found any.

Can anyone give me any kind of idea how much such a trailer would weigh loaded with two horses and how much weight would be on the tow vehicle.

I will be towing with a 2000 model F150 Regular Cab 4X4 with tow package, V8 and 5 Speed manual transmission.

Also, has anyone ever used a gooseneck ball with a drop in bedliner?  Can it be sealed well enough to keep water from finding it's way around the ball?   I am afraid the water would get trapped underneath and rust everything out?

Thanks very much for your responses and any help you can offer.

Have a great day,

Doc

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-31 9:57 AM (#25884 - in reply to #25882)
Subject: RE: How Much Does it Weigh?

Extreme Veteran

The following weights for a two horse aluminum slant trailer are offered only to give you a range of weights to consider.  A Hart Medallion two horse with 4' short wall dress area weighs 4400#.  A Hart Ultimate two horse with a 5' short wall dress area weighs 5500#.  What?, you say?  1100# for 1' of length?  The point is that these two models have different standard equipment, a difference of 4" in width, etc.,   The only way to know exactly what a trailer weighs is to take it to the nearest feed mill and weigh it.  

Manufacturers furnish weights only because the original Certificate of Origin must have the vehicle's shipping weight listed.  The weight listed by the manufacturers (as in the two weights quoted above) is arrived at with what they call an "engineer's bill of material".  Very few manufacturers actually weigh their products.  They figure the weight of the materials and components used, and that is the number they assign as empty weight.

Also, this is worth re-stating.  The empty weight of a trailer is NOT listed on the VIN plate.  Those numbers are the axle capacity.

If you can find the empty weight for this trailer, add an average of 1200# for each horse with its equipment.  Most gooseneck trailers are engineered so that 15% to 25% of the EMPTY weight is on the hitch.  When you load your horses and equipment, or add some living quarters, that percentage changes, in either direction.

If you can figure some of this out, then someone who is knowledgable about the truck will be able to quide you.  Good luck.

OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-31 1:02 PM (#25895 - in reply to #25882)

Kay,

Thank you very much.  That gives me an estimate that helps a LOT.

Thank you for taking the time to provide an answer.

Have a great day,

Doc

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 7:25 PM (#25909 - in reply to #25882)

Expert

this website has weights on most of its trailers, maybe theres something similar to the one youre talking about.  and even if you find a "manufacturer" weight they, as most people will tell you, seem to be way under the actual most of the time.  the manu claime mine weighed 2700#,  i had my doubts as it was steel, it turned out to be 3600#.

http://www.cargomatetrailers.com/Horse_Index_Page.html

Edited by chadsalt 2005-05-31 7:30 PM
LifeIsGood
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-02 10:37 AM (#26001 - in reply to #25882)

Kay,   That has to be one of the most simple, easy to understand explainations I've read.  Keep up the good work girlfriend!

Trailer guy
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 2:53 PM (#26018 - in reply to #26001)

Rule of thumb.  220Lbs per foot of box length. Somewhat of an educated  guess.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)