'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aluminum Floor Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-02-25 11:36 AM
3 replies, 1901 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arelle
Reg. Feb 2021
Posted 2021-02-24 8:46 AM (#173503)
Subject: Aluminum Floor Question

New User

I am currently in the market for a new (used) trailer. I'm going through a pretty large dealership local to me in order to hopefully have a little more piece of mind about the trailer, versus buying from an individual out of their pasture.

I've found one they got on trade-in, but it has an aluminum floor that has been professionally "repaired"? I have that in quotes because I really can't tell exactly what was done to it -- it looks like there were probably some points of corrosion or pitting and was professionally refilled and sealed with newer aluminum on top. It's the first 2 or 3 stalls of a 4H trailer; the last slot still has the original floor with no filler on top.

I've only ever had trailers with wood floors. But, I'm kind of in a situation where I need a larger trailer and have a set budget and it's difficult to find what I'm looking for within my guidelines. Because I'm not familiar with aluminum floors, is this generally something where it was probably a preventative measure or does this type of repair indicate major issues with the trailer floor?

The trailer in question is in KS, I'm in TX - so basing most of my post on the photos I've been sent by the dealership.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
arelle
Reg. Feb 2021
Posted 2021-02-24 8:56 AM (#173504 - in reply to #173503)
Subject: RE: Aluminum Floor Question

New User

Trying to add photos:

Interior
Trailer Interior

Normal Floor
Normal Flooring
"Repaired" Floor

"Repaired" Floor Stall 2
Repaired Floor - Stall 2
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2021-02-25 3:55 AM (#173505 - in reply to #173503)

Expert

The flooring can be washed with Muriatic acid until the corrosion is removed. Most holes can be repaired with cleaning and champhering the holes so the top of the hole is wider than the bottom. The fast type of Metal Set can then be installed to seal the flooring, and while it's still clean, a pick up type of bed liner can be installed. This will greatly reduce any further corrosion and extend the removal time necessary to clean under the mats.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-02-25 11:36 AM (#173506 - in reply to #173503)

Elite Veteran

The pictures you post look like they have taken aluminum sheet and placed over the other aluminum flooring, and that may be a bead of caulk at the edge. I've seen it done before if the floor was in worse condition than Gard describes. My long term concern with that "repair", it that eventually urine will surely find its way in between the two layers, and you can't wash it out. It will then get to corrode the bottom floor and you can't even see it.

All that to be said, I've always considered this repair a patch and not a fix. But if it is bad, there isn't a economically viable fix, so the patch is the best option. I'm sure it will get you 5 years, maybe a lot more depending how bad it is underneath there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)