'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Greasing Electric Jacks / 2007 SilverLite

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-02-18 2:09 AM
3 replies, 1513 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AJS
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2021-02-16 1:39 PM (#173487)
Subject: Greasing Electric Jacks / 2007 SilverLite

Regular

Hello:

I'm assuming my electric jacks need to be lubricated.  I'm pretty sure I've figured out where to attach the grease gun.  But what type of grease do I use, and how much?  

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2021-02-17 4:41 AM (#173488 - in reply to #173487)
Subject: RE: Greasing Electric Jacks / 2007 SilverLite

Expert

Synthetic grease is the best type of grease to use in almost every pressure situation. It will lubricate in extreme cold situations and is reluctant to run under high heat conditions. It offers a higher PSI testing than petroleum based products, and many products are water proof. The additional cost of synthetics is minimal, and its longevity usually exceeds most petroleum duty cycles, which will save on material costs and the labour of installation.
Synthetic grease can be almost universaly used, with roller, ball,  or sleeved  bearings, pins and bushings, sheer loading or sliding applications. Its commonality is found in aircraft, boating, heavy equipment, almost any where a lubricant is needed. When used in oil production, its synthetic  usage in lubricating engines is note worthy. Aircraft turbine engines, where extreme high heat cycles are common, usually have years of on the wing usage, before their cores are overhauled. When starting piston engines in extreme cold situations, the synthetic products provide additional wear protection not found in patrolium products. With the almost common usage of turbine or supercharged diesel or gas engines, the higher heat protection of synthetics is noticeable, and the synthetic engine oil changes are usually greatly reduced.
I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed whenever you use a synthetic product.
AJS
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2021-02-17 5:04 PM (#173491 - in reply to #173487)

Regular

Thank you for the help!!!  Do you hace any idea how much it takes, or how to know when you have enough in there? 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2021-02-18 2:09 AM (#173492 - in reply to #173487)

Expert

Wipe the unit down that will be greased, along with the applicable  fitting. Apply enough grease to the fitting, until you see movement between the two bosses or bearings that will be lubricated . When the gease line appears that covers both surfaces, you've added enough grease. Run and move the application, and make sure that all the wear surfaces are still covered with grease. Wipe off the excess grease from the surface area and move on to the next fitting.
You will usually find the grease will stay in the lubricating areas longer than when using a petroleum based product, and it will be less suspectable to wash outs.
After having a particularly bad time greasing by myself last Fall, I changed my grease gun to a 10K unit, with a longer hose and added a clip on grease nipple fitting. Now it's an easy one man job, with almost no messes, and having blow offs is almost eliminated.
Best of luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)