'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dreaded 2001 Sundowner Valuelite

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-09-02 10:20 AM
5 replies, 1938 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

StcyJ
Reg. Aug 2020
Posted 2020-09-01 10:56 AM (#173225)
Subject: Dreaded 2001 Sundowner Valuelite

New User

Hello,

Looking for some help. I've always taken the mats out about once a year to clean, but this year I decided to take the thin rubber material our from underneath the mats. Unfortunately I found that the aluminum floor has a couple of holes due to corrosion. All of the holes are smaller then a dime (Maybe half the size) and about 6 of them in different spots where the horses urine would sit. Question is....Is it still safe to use like this, or should the floor be re-inforced with something else, or is it just trash? A few horse people said it will be okay & just to put the rubber mats back in after I power wash the floors. I just want to be safe & not have to worry about it. Thanks for ANY input!

Edited by StcyJ 2020-09-01 11:01 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2020-09-01 1:38 PM (#173227 - in reply to #173225)
Subject: RE: Dreaded 2001 Sundowner Valuelite

Veteran

There have been lots of floor corrosion issued discussed on this forum a number a years back.

One of the experts that contributed to these discussions was Gard. This forum indicated that he last logged in in 2016 ... not sure if this is accurate, but I assume so.

There was one thread that Gard had started that covered aluminum floor corrosion issues and suggested repairs. I looked for this thread but was not able to locate it. This forum has crashed and burned a few times since this thread was written, so I "assume" that very unfortunately this thread may have been lost.

If any other member can find Gard's original thread, please post a link to it.

Here is a search that I did that you can read through and educate yourself on aluminum floor corrosion issues. It is a very common occurrence ... and NOT only on the value brand trailers. Aluminum floor corrosion generally results from horse urine combined with poor maintenance practices. Quality of flooring materials can also be an issue ... but regular maintenance is the key to prevention.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gard+Aluminum+Floor+Corrosion+site:h...

There are many other threads on aluminum floor corrosion ... best to use google and search the HTW site for them.

StcyJ
Reg. Aug 2020
Posted 2020-09-01 5:41 PM (#173228 - in reply to #173225)

New User

Thank You. I did some searches on google, but I'll try a broader search not just for the sundowner.
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2020-09-02 5:24 AM (#173230 - in reply to #173225)

Veteran

As a previous owner of a 2000 Sundowner Valulite I had the same problem.  There are typically two issues with the Valuelite around that timeframe.  One is the floor/floor covering and the other is the coating that they put on the steel frame.  Both issues trap urine or moisture between the coating and the aluminum floor or steel frame.  We elected to replace the floor with aluminum.  

If the frame is still good, probably doesn't make sense to trash the trailer.  Without seeing how extensive the damage is it is hard to say if it is safe.  Think of perforated paper (how close are the holes to each other, how big are the holes) and then add the weight of a horse being concentrated by the area of a hoof.

Your options are treat and stop the existing oxidation causing the holes (if not to bad), replace the floor with aluminum or Rumber.  Material and labor (if you can't do it yourself), might exceed the value of the trailer.
jmey1820
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2020-09-02 6:09 AM (#173232 - in reply to #173225)

Regular

I had a 2003 that about 6 or 7 years ago I had inspected.  On inspection the frame itself looked perfect but once the shop dug into it they found most of the cross members were rotted away and the damage was hidden by the undercoating that was applied at the factory.  I would personally worry less about the floor itself and have a professional inspect the frame before addressing what to do with the floor.  Like the other poster said it may cost more to repair than the trailer is worth at this point. 
StcyJ
Reg. Aug 2020
Posted 2020-09-02 10:20 AM (#173233 - in reply to #173225)

New User

The frame is actually in good shape. I just wire brushed the frame underneath and am going to have it coated with the stuff they spray on the underneaths of trucks to keep it from rusting.
I think I'm going to add some more if the I beams underneath just for additional support & to be safe.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)