'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Outdated registration

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-07-30 10:53 AM
4 replies, 1795 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

loricleveland77
Reg. Dec 2016
Posted 2020-07-21 5:47 PM (#173157)
Subject: Outdated registration

I already know I have mud on my face, so please do not be cruel. Long story short, I purchased a used living quarters horse trailer from a dealer out of state a couple of years ago. I never registered the trailer in my state in my name. Many things were going on in my life at the time, and I just forgot about it. Now I am thinking of selling the trailer and realized I never registered the trailer. I need to register the trailer in CA and of course am willing to pay fines etc. associated with the trailer. With the pandemic going on, I have been unable to speak to a person on the phone about how to complete this transaction, and the DMV website has been no help. Does anyone have any ideas about how to remedy my situation? I am the first person to eat crow about this, but if you have been in this circumstance, or know someone who has, I would really appreciate some constructive advise. I already went to the CAAA ( California Auto Association) and they said I need to go to the DMV, but there is noone home, so to speak. Please help.
Thank you in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2020-07-22 7:55 AM (#173158 - in reply to #173157)
Subject: RE: Outdated registration

Elite Veteran

To complete it, generally you go to the same office you get your license plate for your car from.
All you can do is wait. The CA DMV are the only folks who can help you (unless you move to another state). With Covid, it has been a nightmare in parts of the country to get titles and such done. They are always slow, so now they are behind.  My title person told me the other day a certain county/state told him his was scheduled to be printed Jan of '21.....

akinstrailers
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2020-07-22 12:33 PM (#173161 - in reply to #173157)

Veteran

Hopefully a CA dealer will chime in but in Oregon you would not be required to register the trailer in your name in order to sell it.  You would need to establish the chain of custody though.  Assuming you have a title and bill of sale from the dealer you would just need to sign a bill of sale to the new owner and they would take that and your original paperwork in to register it.  CA might be different though due to sales tax collection.   
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2020-07-23 9:56 AM (#173162 - in reply to #173161)

Elite Veteran

akinstrailers - 2020-07-22 12:33 PM Hopefully a CA dealer will chime in but in Oregon you would not be required to register the trailer in your name in order to sell it.  You would need to establish the chain of custody though.  Assuming you have a title and bill of sale from the dealer you would just need to sign a bill of sale to the new owner and they would take that and your original paperwork in to register it.  CA might be different though due to sales tax collection.   

Yes- maybe a CA dealer will pop up. Here in the southeast, reassignment of a title is only by licensed dealerships. An individual trying it generally gets in a mess. I would be cautious of signing it to someone else until it is properly titled in your name. States want each owner to pay their taxes....
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2020-07-30 10:53 AM (#173173 - in reply to #173157)

Veteran

just saying california asks you the date you started using the trailer in CA, or the date it entered california, and no documentation is required.  Also I am pretty sure you can do that transaction at the autoclub, if able to do the actual transaction the people at autoclub can help you get all the correct paperwork filled out and asnwer your questions. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)