'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stock slat sides vs drop windows

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-08-14 11:47 AM
1 replies, 1858 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mollyplus2
Reg. Jun 2019
Posted 2019-08-14 11:22 AM (#172608)
Subject: Stock slat sides vs drop windows

New User

Considering stock slat sides with plexiglass on the head and hip side of a new custom built trailer vs drop down windows/bars on both sides. I live in the southeast, and even in the winter, find that I don't ever haul with the drop windows up in my current trailer. I also have never used the drop bars to access the horses, and I don't care to let them hang their heads out when parked. There will be a 1st horse escape door on this trailer.
So, I'm thinking the stock sides would possibly be a more convenient option instead of opening and closing windows for ventilation.
I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons of the slat sides from those who have used them.
One thing I'm particularly curious about is how weather proof are the plexi inserts when the trailer is parked for storage or camping. I don't expect them to be as water tight as a window with a weather seal, but am I going to find water running down my walls in the rain?
I also understand my resale value will take a hit, especially on the east coast.
Any thoughts are appreciated!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2019-08-14 11:47 AM (#172609 - in reply to #172608)
Subject: RE: Stock slat sides vs drop windows

Veteran

I love my stock trailer when i am in California, because it is always hot so more air is better.  That said I go to the Denver stock show in January, and it would be next to impossible to regulated the tempature like you can with bus windows.  As far as weather tight in the winter for storage it vaires greatly between trailer manufactuers but they typically do a good job of keeping most of the water out.  At least where I live in California it is quite common to see stock slats on the butt side and drop downs on the head side which i suppose is a good compramise in a slant trailer.  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)