'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Class C RV Ford F-450 V10

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-03-21 9:29 PM
2 replies, 1884 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

5jbkrj
Reg. Mar 2019
Posted 2019-03-20 7:52 AM (#172268)
Subject: Class C RV Ford F-450 V10

New User

Hello! I’m really wanting to move away from the GN LQ horse trailer and go to RV mentioned on subject line...I’ve already purchased 3H Hart BP which of course is made super well. Now looking for RV 24-27’, the GVWR on Hart is 15000. Can anyone shed light on experience w this type rig? I almost feel like “if it was such a good idea-more folks wb using more versatile RV”???
Thank You!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2019-03-20 11:57 AM (#172269 - in reply to #172268)
Subject: RE: Class C RV Ford F-450 V10

Elite Veteran

Couple of things first-
A) Trailer GVWR frankly won't matter. You'll need to know what your trailer will actually weigh once you load it (as I'm sure it won't be close to 15K.) Including tongue weight. I suspect the only way to find this will be to load, and then weigh it. Also with a BP, be aware of proper loading. For example, if you put 3 bales of hay in the front stall, and then 2 horses in the rest- you may be tongue light. Which can cause a sway condition. A 3H BP with only 2 horses typically needs to be loaded first & third stalls. A BP tongue weight should be at least 15% of total weight.
B) Carefully get with the RV manufacturer about towing capacity. For starters, many motorhomes are about maxed out on GVWR with just their own weight, much less a trailer. Then, most motorhomes have a hitch, which was built strong enough to tote a car behind from factory to dealership one time. You'll likely want more for a 3H trailer. In that same vein, watch turns. Most m/h are wider and seem to want to crunch the nose of he trailer. The long m/h tail swings/whips the other way (like a school bus) and then whips the trailer differently than a pick up does and that's when the uh-oh comes in. That's why you'll see some 3H BP with an extended tongue (to avoid the house body)

So it can certainly be done, but not all motor homes are set up for it. 

Edited by RTSmith 2019-03-20 11:58 AM
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2019-03-21 9:29 PM (#172272 - in reply to #172268)
Subject: RE: Class C RV Ford F-450 V10

Veteran

I think if you go strickly by the numbers it will not work. However having towed a bit with these kinds of motorhomes, they will do it just fine. I think you will find that it more depends on where you plan to travel, if you are in kansas it may not be an issue, however if you are in Colorado you will be very unhappy, as most of the V10 motorhomes I have driven can barely get out of their own way.  My suggestion to you would be to rent one and try it out, I use this site called outdoorsy.co and I rent motorhomes when we got o horse shows so we have a place to stay, occasionally we will tow a wagon or some hay depending on the show.  My personal experience is that you really want to have a diesel pusher if you are going to tow anything along way.  Also it is worth noting that renting a motorhome is a great way to do it depending on how much you use one.   For me I rent one 3 times a year, outdoorsy insures it someone else gets to pay the tags, storage and maintinance, and if it starts getting worn out, I just rent a different one next time.

Edited by HOUSE 2019-03-21 9:31 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)