'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
sidekick trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-11-07 9:02 AM
10 replies, 21794 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

melanie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 12:02 AM (#90164)
Subject: sidekick trailers

New User

Can anyone tell me about Sidekick trailers?  Are they built well?  Do they have any problems?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-22 9:34 AM (#90180 - in reply to #90164)
Subject: RE: sidekick trailers

Expert

We have a Sidekick, and love it. It is built with one of the strongest frame structures I've seen. Ours is a three horse slant load and features a mid tack which offers much additional storage. It has a 13' LQ "Show Time" interior, which is complete, attractive and has all the amenities.

The roof is a one piece fiberglass beam, that is very strong and rigid and offers a good insulating value. You can walk all over it with no deflection being noted. The stall areas are fully insulated, all the hardware is durable and reliable. Nothing has broken, fallen off or failed to work.

There is one issue that is common when ever dissimilar materials are joined. The roof is fiberglass, and the edge transitions are aluminum. Each material has a different rate of expansion and contraction, and after the initial factory caulking fails, leaks will develop in the seam areas.

We bought our trailer used and it was always stored indoors, with no leaking issues. Our first rainy day revealed the need for re caulking which subsequently solved the problem.  I am now considering an elastomeric surface coating.

When we purchased the trailer, the aluminum stall flooring had some corrosion and pitting. It wasn't major, but it needed to be addressed. The flooring is made from interlocking beams, which are thick, strong and very rigid. The original owner didn't know how to treat the metal, and only flushed it regularly. I cleaned and treated it and installed a surface coating. Now my only maintenance is flushing the inside floor at the end of the season, and flushing the underside of the trailer a couple of times a year. There has been no reoccurrence of corrosion, and we live in the dreaded North East.

Sidekicks don't seem to be widely known and apparently are sold in low numbers. Each one is custom built; the few that I've seen and the few advertised are all dissimilar to each other, in floor plans, equipment and LQ's. Until I saw ours and inspected it, I had no idea what I would find. Mine was built in FL, since then the company has changed hands and their place of business.

We are very pleased with the way it tows and handles. Last year it literally saved my family's lives, when we jackknifed after a truck tire blow out. It's stability and the excellent trailer brakes, twice straightened us out at 65 MPH, and prevented us from rolling and flipping over.

If you've deduced that we like our trailer, you're correct. We consider ours to be an enjoyable, life time investment, and it has a permanent home.

melanie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 9:54 AM (#90182 - in reply to #90164)

New User

Thanks for the info...had never heard of a Sidekick before I started looking to replace the trailer I sold and found one that looks very nice so wanted to research it a bit.  Thanks again!

HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-22 2:26 PM (#90209 - in reply to #90164)

Regular

Sidekick is owned by unruh fab in sedgwick, ks.  They also make fire trucks.  For more information about the company and the trailers you can call us at 1-866-219-4750.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-22 3:27 PM (#90210 - in reply to #90164)

Expert

http://www.sidekicktrailers.com/news.htm

Are they still building the horse trailers in Milton, Fl. or did they move that to Kansas?

Edited by retento 2008-08-22 3:31 PM
HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-23 8:26 AM (#90228 - in reply to #90164)

Regular

They are building them in kansas now.  Unruh fab purchased the company a few years ago.  They have managed to take a great trailer and turn it into an exceptional trailer.  at the momment we are their main dealer for them and wow, we are so excited about this trailer.  The company makes fire trucks and they have applied the same quailty to their horse trailers. http://www.unruhfire.com/  We are so confident in the quality of this trailer and our LQ company that we are offering a lifetime trailer/ lifetime LQ warranty ourselfs (the dealer) for the original owner.  I just can't say enough about them.  Another bonus is that the people running Sidekick are horse/ rodeo people so they have that influence in them when building these trailers.
KCByrd
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2013-04-02 12:13 PM (#151054 - in reply to #90228)

New User

Is there anyone that knows anything about the FRP roof in a Sidekick trailer
I am wanting to install an AC unit and would like to check on a few things before I get to involved to turn back. 4
Michellebell
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-04-03 10:51 PM (#163074 - in reply to #90182)

New User

Hi everyone! We just purchased a 1994 Sidekick horse trailer and would like a place to get a bit more info before we start adding things to it. It is on a lq platform but lq was never done...it was used as a tack showroom trailer until a couple of years ago. We have since learned that Sidekick is no longer in business and just wanted a place to get some info if anyone can help. Thanks.
Gunner Thomoson
Reg. May 2015
Posted 2015-05-21 2:22 PM (#163505 - in reply to #163074)

New User

We have a 2001 Sidekick with 19 foot short wall 4 horse slant and love it. It's newer than yours but would be happy to try and answer any questions.
Quizhorses
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-10-21 2:31 PM (#168701 - in reply to #90164)

We recently bought a 2004 Side Kick 3 horse trailer with a mid tack and large living quarters and we love it so far. We have had to seal the roof around a vent that was leaking but great trailer! We are trying to find someplace to buy the aluminum bars that fit inside the windows for the horses so that they cannot stick their heads out. If anybody has any idea's where we can find something like this please let us know.
stormyj
Reg. Sep 2018
Posted 2018-11-07 9:02 AM (#172017 - in reply to #90164)

Did sidekick trailer co buy out Prolite trailers and when?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)