'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What to do with lined/insulated walls?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-05-24 3:28 PM
6 replies, 3892 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jwalker1989
Reg. Apr 2018
Posted 2018-04-24 7:38 AM (#171557)
Subject: What to do with lined/insulated walls?

New User

I have a 2019 4-star 2+1 GN with an additional 2' in the dressing room that I put there to install some creature comforts on my own. I elected to have the entire trailer (horse area and DR) lined and insulated from the factory, so it's all aluminum skin with insulation behind it except the GN and drop wall.

It feels a little sterile in the DR area, and I'd like to soften the look of the aluminum skin.

What would you suggest for the application? What kinds of paneling are in RVs/LQs? Can I just wallpaper over the aluminum? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-04-24 4:08 PM (#171558 - in reply to #171557)
Subject: RE: What to do with lined/insulated walls?

Expert

Consider there are likely rivet heads on the aluminum sheeting. Wallpapering over the heads will be painful. Perhaps a vinyl or thick fabric might be better.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2018-04-24 7:56 PM (#171559 - in reply to #171557)

Extreme Veteran

You may be able to put furring and then attach a pretty wood panel.  I thought people usually put the wood on furring strips and then attached the vinyl to that wood rather than attaching the vinyl or fabric directly to the wall.  Perhaps since yours is already insulated, that isn't necessary.  There should be a lot of information on this site.   
jwalker1989
Reg. Apr 2018
Posted 2018-04-25 5:24 AM (#171560 - in reply to #171557)

New User

I thought about vinyl wrapping it, the way they do cars. Then I saw the price... yowza. That's a no-go.

Then I was looking at stick-on wall paper. Maybe I'll go grab a roll and screw around with it and see how it does over the rivet heads. That stuff isn't cheap either, though.

Do you think I could just paint over it? I'd be okay if the gloss finish was gone, really. That's what makes it feel really "sterile" in there.

I get the heebie jeebies doing anything that I can't return to stock, but I don't plan to sell the trailer anytime soon so I should just get over it, huh? :)

(20180414_091813.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20180414_091813.jpg (80KB - 1 downloads)
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2018-04-25 10:39 AM (#171562 - in reply to #171557)

Veteran

Jwalker1989 - I am in the printing/wrap business.  Yes, it does get expensive.  The wrap material is considered a cast vinyl which means it can be heated to form around rivets.  (also able to do complex curves, ie: fenders, etc).  I would suspect shelf paper to considered calendared (it trys to go back to its original shape and made for flat surfaces).  Also the wrap/cast material is made to come off clean, your shelf paper may leave a lot of residue when it comes time to remove.  (I am not an expert on shelf paper).  Just food for thought.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2018-04-25 12:44 PM (#171563 - in reply to #171557)

Extreme Veteran

That was my first thought about the shelf paper - that it would not be easy to remove.  But then, I don't really like wallpaper in a house for the same reason.  My suggestion of the furring strips was to avoid some of those problems, and stick the covering of your choice on thin wood panels that could be removed or remodeled. 
There used to be a lot of pictures here on people's customization of their dressing rooms.  Some of the applications of vinyl were really attractive and perhaps you could investigate the type of adhesive that could make it easier to remove.  It's a very nice trailer and I'm sure you'll find the right solution.  I may run around the site a little - I was away from it for awhile and have to find things again myself.

BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2018-05-24 3:28 PM (#171628 - in reply to #171557)

Regular

This is a Face Book page about people that do their own living quarters. Lots of good ideas and pictures.         Horse Trailer Conversion II
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)