'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Rear Center Post

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-03-09 7:48 PM
6 replies, 2675 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

country.girl2323
Reg. Mar 2018
Posted 2018-03-08 10:02 AM (#171367)
Subject: Rear Center Post

New User

I'm looking at purchasing a used, 2H, CM , aluminum straight load. It is in great condition, oversized, and pretty much what I'm looking for. My one hang up is that the center rear post (between the double doors) is not removable. The center divider comes out, but the rear post does not. It is a step down with a removable ramp, so it has the option to unload either way. Besides the fact that I wouldn't be able to use the trailer for hauling other large items besides horses (i.e. lawn mower etc.) will the fixed rear post be something I regret? My biggest concern is that it would somehow affect the safety of loading or unloading the horses (will usually be two in the trailer).

Thanks,
Carrie
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve-O
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2018-03-08 10:23 AM (#171368 - in reply to #171367)
Subject: RE: Rear Center Post

Veteran

Do you have horses that will readily load in a trailer?  If yes I see no problem with the center post.  Crazy horses and un broke  are probably better suited for an open stock trailer built out of steel.
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2018-03-08 11:02 AM (#171369 - in reply to #171367)

Veteran

I had a trailer like this many years ago and never had a problem loading and unloading. That being said, I agree with SteveO about a stock trailer- they are the ultimate in versatility. I have a 16’ gooseneck stock trailer that we have hauled EVERYTHING in- roundpen panels, four wheelers, garden tractor, furniture, horses, pigs, hay. It might be the most versatile piece of equipment we own.
country.girl2323
Reg. Mar 2018
Posted 2018-03-08 11:19 AM (#171370 - in reply to #171367)

New User

Thanks. We are pretty new to horse ownership and especially trailering. We just have one horse (actually a 13.3 HH pony) right now, and have only hauled him once....the trip home. He did great loading and hauling in the two horse slant with rear tack that we were using. When it was time to unload him, he backed up fine but was hesitant about stepping down. He would pick his foot up and start to reach down to the ground but then set it back down in the trailer. We only tried for about 2 minutes, and then just ended up turning him around and walking him off. It had been a long trailer ride and a stressful day for him, so we didn't want to push the unloading thing right then. The second horse that will be hauled with him will either be a friend's horse that does haul well or eventually, a second horse/pony that we purchase....so no idea on his/her trailering manners.

We are trying to stay with a relatively short trailer right now (12-14'), so mostly looking at 2 horse straight or slant loads. If we went with a stock, I think we'd have to get longer than that to accommodate 2 horse, right?

Being new to this whole gig, I am also looking for the trailer that makes it easiest and safest for us newbies to deal with. I will often be loading/unloading by myself or with the help of my 12year old daughter.
Steve-O
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2018-03-08 12:50 PM (#171371 - in reply to #171367)

Veteran

No matter what type of trailer you have practice loading and unloadng at home - everyday if you have to.  Consult a local horse person or a professional to assist and show you how to properly pressure a horse.   I can't tell you how many times I have been at a campground and one horse will not load,  they spend the entire afternoon trying to load a horse. I think a 2 horse straight load will be fine.  Like said above an open stock type trailer is very versatile and you could probably find one in the 14 foot long range although 16 seems to be the most common. CM makes some fine, quality trailers.   Enjoy the triler no matter what you decide.
TwoBucksRanch
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2018-03-08 5:00 PM (#171372 - in reply to #171367)

My first gooseneck was a two horse straight load. Loved that trailer. It also had a center post but the post was removable I believe. IMO the straight load trailers without a center post would be my first choice. Second would be a removable post. You never know when a horse will get in trouble and I am more comfortable with being able to have the entire back open if needed. My current trailer is a slant load but I wouldn’t even consider a fixed back tack or a side load for the same reason. Everyone has their own opinion but ultimately you need to buy what makes you comfortable. My horses are excellent travelers but I am OCD when it comes to “what if.” 
country.girl2323
Reg. Mar 2018
Posted 2018-03-09 7:48 PM (#171386 - in reply to #171367)

New User

Thanks for the input everyone. Even though our pony did well on the one trailer ride we've done, I'm not so sure he won't give us some unpleasant surprises next time (he's give us several behavioral surprises since bringing him home. Thankfully we do have a trainer we are working with, so hopefully she can help us work through issues. However, finding a trailer that sets us both up for success is important.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)