'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sealed Bearings?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-12-19 3:29 PM
3 replies, 3458 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FFFran
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2017-12-19 5:07 AM (#170961)
Subject: Sealed Bearings?

I took my trailer to have bearings repacked several years ago to the local tire place. I was told that I had sealed bearings and did not need to have them repacked. Recently had the trailer in to a trailer place and was told my tire people are idiots - there is no such thing as sealed bearings on a trailer.............. Did not have them checked as I was out the door as we were having the conversation.
Thoughts?
I have a 2002 CM Lariat 3 horse bumper pull
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-12-19 7:53 AM (#170962 - in reply to #170961)
Subject: RE: Sealed Bearings?

Extreme Veteran

We are a "trailer place" and there are such things as sealed bearings. Dexter Never-Lube axles utilize a sealed capsule with bearings inside and a special hub. The only solution is to replace the capsule if bearings should fail. I believe that Dexter has discontinued the bearing capsules and hubs for the 3500# axles but the parts for the heavier capacity axles (5.2K/6K and 7K/8K) should still be around. It was not one of Dexter's better ideas. We still have one 3500$ bearing capsule in inventory as well as one of the other two sizes, and never did stock more than one of any size at one time.

Your three horse could have a 5200# or 6000# axle under it, but it also could be a 3500#.

Maybe R. T. Smith will chime in here.
FFFran
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2017-12-19 3:12 PM (#170963 - in reply to #170961)

Thanks for the response. How would I know if sealed bearings go bad?

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2017-12-19 3:29 PM (#170964 - in reply to #170962)

Elite Veteran

Kay nailed this one. As far as the hub & bearings go Dexter makes (made?) regular hubs, Nev-r-Lube, & E-Z Lube. I don't see any reference to Nev-r-Lube on their website anymore.

We have seen tire shops lube the grease fitting on an E-Z Lube and think they've gotten everything handled. Our experience is that too often a wad of grease gets pushed into the drum and ruins the brake shoes. Your CM may quite likely have E-Z Lube hubs.

The Nev-r-Lube parts are not interchangeable with the others, and when a bearing needs to be replaced you must replace the bearing capsule, or the entire hub/bearing. And of course both cost more than regular tapered bearings. Frankly- I'm doubting your CM has these. One of the challenges facing folks with these today, is that as they wear they develop some play that cannot be adjusted out like tapered bearings can. Replacement is the only option. 

So that may be why you see a number of trailer manufacturers use just the regular bearings, with the axle manufacturers recommend repacking them annually, or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. Frankily- our favorite. It ensures that someone is actually looking at and checking the brake operation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)