'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Banamine reaction

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-12-08 3:35 AM
3 replies, 2247 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RayRocks
Reg. Dec 2017
Posted 2019-12-06 7:46 PM (#172880)
Subject: Banamine reaction

My horse received a IM banamine shot 2 weeks ago in the chest. He had a big reaction. Had the vet out and I cold hosed and heat packed the first several days and heat packed only this past week. He’s been off bute for 4 days and is moving well. Today is his last day of SMZ. The swelling is greatly reduced. He has a hard pack/swelling the size of my palm. It’s not hot. I don’t know what to do next. I was told massage won’t help, so I quit doing that. It never did break open as I was told it would. Any experience with this? I did not give the shot. When I administer banamine I do it oral. Feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-12-07 2:06 AM (#172881 - in reply to #172880)
Subject: RE: Banamine reaction

Veteran

I beleive banamine should never be given IM - in the muscle - as it will cause muscle damage and little if anything can be done.  Most likely will have a lump there forever.  Always give in the vein or use the paste.  Paste is best given under the tongue.
RayRocks
Reg. Dec 2017
Posted 2019-12-07 5:46 AM (#172882 - in reply to #172881)

I agree. Like I said, I didn’t give the shot, I only administer orally. I was wondering what I could do from this point on. I’ve had two vets consult and get different suggestions. Today is the first day off SMZ and I’m afraid his temp will go up again. It was 104 at the start of this mess 2 weeks ago. It has been 99-100 this past week, but he’s been on SMZ.
Thanks for your comment none the less.
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-12-08 3:35 AM (#172884 - in reply to #172880)

Veteran

As I stated, litle if anything can be done. After 2 weeks, I would think it is wearing off.  The lump may be there forever.  Give it another week keeping a close watch. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)