'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Jack Replacement

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-07-23 12:12 AM
2 replies, 3993 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2017-07-21 10:13 PM (#170310)
Subject: Trailer Jack Replacement

Regular

Hi,
I have just pruchased a "new" to me 2002 Elite, 2 horse, 20' on floor with full living quarters.   This trailer has a manual 2 speed jack which only works on the high side.    Cranks really heavy, I have been told that jacks only last about 10 years and I wonder if it needs replaced as it seems to not working right.   So going off of that,  I feel like I should have a new jack put on.   I was thinking of getting an electric one, the hydraulic ones are just too much money, but I have been told that the electric one won't hold up and that I would be wasting my money,  Is this true?      Am I better off just getting another 2 stage jack?   Trailer has one battery, is one battery going to be sufficient to run the electric jack?  Trailer weighs 8,300 lbs empty.
Thanks
Joan

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2017-07-22 7:58 AM (#170311 - in reply to #170310)
Subject: RE: Trailer Jack Replacement

Elite Veteran

Yes- 1 battery is generally just fine. And yes- the electric motor on a crank jack works fine and for a long time, just a touch slower than a hydraulic.
But- the electric motor that goes on a 2sp has to have the jack locked in low, then the motor is fitted. So there's no point to replace the 2sp and then put the motor on- just install the hydraulic. Probably same price in the end, and you'll be happy. 
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-07-23 12:12 AM (#170317 - in reply to #170310)
Subject: RE: Trailer Jack Replacement

Expert

Lazy M - 2017-07-22 1:13 AM  Hi,

I have just pruchased a "new" to me 2002 Elite, 2 horse, 20' on floor with full living quarters.   This trailer has a manual 2 speed jack which only works on the high side.    Cranks really heavy, I have been told that jacks only last about 10 years and I wonder if it needs replaced as it seems to not working right.   So going off of that,  I feel like I should have a new jack put on.   I was thinking of getting an electric one, the hydraulic ones are just too much money, but I have been told that the electric one won't hold up and that I would be wasting my money,  Is this true?      Am I better off just getting another 2 stage jack?   Trailer has one battery, is one battery going to be sufficient to run the electric jack?  Trailer weighs 8,300 lbs empty.

Thanks

Joan

Well, If you don't grease it that is probably true...

If your jack is a Bulldog...here is the video on replacing the gears...:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHcbEWyVzOc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)