'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Generator in rear tack?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-04-15 1:18 PM
9 replies, 6331 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DustFlyin
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2017-03-29 10:07 AM (#169659)
Subject: Generator in rear tack?

I have googled and searched old posts from the 2000's and current posts and still haven't figured out my final answer. Just bought a 2016 Lakota charger, does not have a hay rack! Got a killer deal on an Onan 4000 microquiet generator, now where to put it? There is plenty of space in the rear tack for it and from the other posts I'm thinking about putting the fuel tank in the back manger, anyone been unhappy with this setup? We figured we would open up the rear tack divider and leave the drop down windows open in the horse area while it's running, has anyone had issues with overheating? I've seen posts about routing the exhaust in a hole through the floor, what have y'all done with your aftermarket installations? Or would it just be easier to leave the thing in the back of the dually? ????????? OR do we spend money and install a hayrack and then deal with roof installations and fuel pumps and all that jazz? Thanks in advance!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2017-03-29 10:13 AM (#169660 - in reply to #169659)
Subject: RE: Generator in rear tack?

Extreme Veteran

I put a Honda in a Hart rear tack. Had manufacturer send me a manual camper style roof vent with 12 volt fan that I installed in the roof of the rear tacl. Made sure vent was open and on and never had a problem with overheating. Ran the exhaust thru the floor. Had this setup for 5 years or so and no issues. Had to slide it about 50% out to change oil and fill up the gas tank was the only issues. Did lose a lot of room in the rear tack and always had to make sure nothing fell down against gen.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2017-03-30 1:58 PM (#169672 - in reply to #169659)

Elite Veteran

You need to read your Onan installation manual. A Microquiet requires a permenant installation. It draws cooling air in through the side, and exhausts it through a large hole in the floor. The engine  exhaust runs through the floor as well. It will mount well in the floor of your rear tack, or you can mount it inside the manger door, and duct the exhausts down through the floor. But where ever it is, there are several holes for air and service (oil drain, etc.) and it will be bolted down.

Edited by horsey1 2017-03-30 1:59 PM
kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2017-03-30 5:50 PM (#169677 - in reply to #169659)

Extreme Veteran

I have had a generator in the manger and on top and for me the on the roof is the only way to go, you should be able to call Lakota and buy the roof mount bracket. servicing a gen in the manger is a pain but on the roof not a problem to get to things.
ALittleLoopy
Reg. Apr 2017
Posted 2017-04-03 7:32 PM (#169695 - in reply to #169659)

We had an emerald plus Onan 4K in our rear tack of a 98 4star. Note the Had part. Impossible to work on and terribly noisy vibrations. I'm sure it would have been better if it were mounted on a track and rail system to slide out for service. That's how my work truck is anyhow. But we removed it and I take a champion inverter style. It meets our needs and a 20' chain keeps it secure.
ALittleLoopy
Reg. Apr 2017
Posted 2017-04-03 7:32 PM (#169696 - in reply to #169659)

Dbl post sorry

Edited by ALittleLoopy 2017-04-03 7:34 PM
DustFlyin
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2017-04-05 11:13 AM (#169708 - in reply to #169659)

Thanks for all the responses! Being the microquiet, It will have to be bolted down so wherever we put it it's staying, and the exhaust is straight out the bottom. Don't know how well that would work on a roof mount, would it be too much heat blowing towards the insulated roof? I hate the thought of cutting a hole in the floor for the exhaust but I think that's going to be the best bet and easiest to access. As far as working on, opening up the rear tack makes it easy to get to, and the fuel tank can be placed next to it as needed (so it won't be mounted in there permanently) so I can haul it in the back of the truck and move it in the trailer once we get where we're going instead of hauling it in the rear tack and risking fumes flowing through the trailer. We won't use it much with the horses, more for family camping trips, but nice to have the option! Thanks for the helpful tips!
DustFlyin
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2017-04-05 11:15 AM (#169709 - in reply to #169659)

Thanks for all the responses! Being the microquiet, It will have to be bolted down so wherever we put it it's staying, and the exhaust is straight out the bottom. Don't know how well that would work on a roof mount, would it be too much heat blowing towards the insulated roof? I hate the thought of cutting a hole in the floor for the exhaust but I think that's going to be the best bet and easiest to access. As far as working on, opening up the rear tack makes it easy to get to, and the fuel tank can be placed next to it as needed (so it won't be mounted in there permanently) so I can haul it in the back of the truck and move it in the trailer once we get where we're going instead of hauling it in the rear tack and risking fumes flowing through the trailer. We won't use it much with the horses, more for family camping trips, but nice to have the option! Thanks for the helpful tips!
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2017-04-15 7:40 AM (#169763 - in reply to #169659)

Veteran

On our old LQ, we had our Onan mounted under the gooseneck. It had the propane conversion so we just ran the hose to the cylinders. We ran the exhaust down, then under and to the side of the trailer.

I have seen many Onans in the rear tack...but they were on a tray so that they could be pulled out to run...exhaust and serviced. They are covered with a box in the rear tack, with a locking/vented side door that opens and the tray with generator pulls out.  
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-04-15 1:18 PM (#169766 - in reply to #169659)

Elite Veteran

?Be sure exhaust of generator is beyond sides of trailer and keep up the maitentance  of a carbon monoxide detector
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)