'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pocket Hose

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-01-20 4:22 PM
4 replies, 15998 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2013-01-17 12:00 PM (#149376)
Subject: Pocket Hose

Elite Veteran

I just got this info from a friend and thought I would pass it along. It seems like a great item for a trailer but now I questions it.

DO NOT DRINK FROM THE NEW "POCKETHOSE" because of the chemicals used in the product that will leach into the water! The "do not drink" warning is buried in the product packaging, and it is not posted on the website and needs to be! Their website is pockethose.com, you may recognize it from TV advertising.
I especially want to pass this along to horse people as this looked ideal for filling the horse trough in the winter, because it's light, compact and easy to drain and bring back into the house so that it doesn't freeze. I also thought it would be great to store in a horse trailer or camper for drinking water or horse water. I ordered a few of them from the website, and the website does not disclose any warnings. The hoses come in a plastic container with a label, and the caution is on the INSIDE of the label where most people will not look. Each hose has a small instruction tag attached to it, but no warnings there either.
This is exactly how the caution reads:
WARNING
DO NOT drink from this hose.
The water in this hose may become contaminated and cause serious health effects.
I thought the warning might just be because bacteria can grow in any hose, so I called the product's customer service line, and the person I talked to CONFIRMED that these hoses should only be used for things like washing your car and watering plants. I directly asked him about using it for horse water and he said no, do not use it for animals because of the chemicals that will come out in the water. I am going to push for them to disclose this in their advertising, but in the meantime please help get the word out!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-01-17 2:42 PM (#149378 - in reply to #149376)
Subject: RE: Pocket Hose

Expert

My guess they are made in China using alot of lead.....

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-01-18 4:48 AM (#149390 - in reply to #149376)

Expert

Garden hoses are not regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agencies Safe Drinking Water Act. You will find this warning on MOST hoses today... "Do Not Drink from this Hose" "Water from this hose not potable"

Edited by PaulChristenson 2013-01-18 4:50 AM
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2013-01-19 5:47 PM (#149418 - in reply to #149376)

Extreme Veteran

I bought one of those collapsable hoses on a reel from an as seen on TV ad several years ago. Never used them, but had them up in a cabinet. The other day, I pulled one down to use outside, and it wouldn't unroll. On closer inspection, the cover on the hose had melted the plastic that the reel is made of and the two were fused together.So, I would guess that if it would do that, it is definitely not safe for you or your horse to drink from. I don't know if the material is the same, but would guess it is close. Yep, more made in China crap.
Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2013-01-20 4:22 PM (#149438 - in reply to #149376)

Regular

Gosh, I think all of us drank from a hose from time to time in our life and who would think that it wasn't safe unless the hose itself was laying somewhere that was unsanitary.  That is really good to know.  I saw them advertised and thought about buying them for the same reasons.  I already have one of those hoses that coils (not the pockethose) and bought it many years ago and we keep it in our horse trailer and mostly for refilling the water tank in the pick-up bed for the horses & ocassionally the LQ when away from home.  However, at home my husband usually uses the hoses that are the white ones used for RV's and I think those are definitely safe and for that purpose?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)